Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Question Can you buy from yourself?
    Is that unethical or something? Can you purchase products from yourself and get a commission? Sounds wrong. I don't know.

ABW Ambassador
    With Amazon, your purchases off your link will be later removed. With 98-99% of other merchants out there, it's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    With Amazon, your purchases off your link will be later removed. With 98-99% of other merchants out there, it's fine.
    Is that a new/updated policy? I was not aware of that.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

That's interesting. I have been shopping using my amazon link for years and years and never had anything reversed that I have purchased. It is the same login info. And no, it is not unethical to use your own links, but if you feel really badly about doing it, by all means, use mine

Exclamation
    This policy has been in place since the mid-90's. They have been much more efficient in catching these sales in recent years.

They may have done it (or more acurately: not done it) manually in the past, but I think they've automated it recently.

Look in your Payment History. That's the only place the deductions for personal orders show up. Looking back, the first deduction I see for me was Q2 2004.

I always place my Amazon orders through another affiliate's site.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey

Why? Do they penalize you for ordering from your own site?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    What's been posted a few times. Amazon won't pay you commissions on personal purchases:

"What is Amazon's policy for Associates placing orders for themselves?
    You may not purchase products during sessions initiated through your own Associates links and will not receive referral fees for such orders. This includes orders for customers, orders on behalf of customers, and orders for products to be used by you, your friends, your relatives, or your associates in any manner."

http://associates.amazon.com/gp/asso...k%5F180161%5F5

What's been posted a few times. Amazon won't pay you commissions if you buy off your own links.
    I understand that.

Originally Posted by MichaelColey

Mike's comment implies a penalty if you order from your own.

Is there a penalty? If not, why not just order from your own site anyway? You certainly don't get a commission from ordering from another site, unless you want to give a friend the commission.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    No there is no penalty, you just won't get paid commissions, they'll get reversed. Just read what I quoted from Amazon above. I guess you're asking if they'll boot you out of the program if you do. I don't think so.

No penalty. I just figure if I can't get the commission myself, I might as well help out a fellow affiliate I respect.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thanks Michael, I will have to start going to your site to place my amazon orders. I agree with you, if they are ripping it from us ( which i was totally unware of ) then might as well let someone else enjoy the commissions

Question
    What's been posted a few times. Amazon won't pay you commissions on personal purchases:

"What is Amazon's policy for Associates placing orders for themselves?
    You may not purchase products during sessions initiated through your own Associates links and will not receive referral fees for such orders. This includes orders for customers, orders on behalf of customers, and orders for products to be used by you, your friends, your relatives, or your associates in any manner."

http://associates.amazon.com/gp/asso...k%5F180161%5F5
    Does that mean my granny can't buy from me? Can she if she clicks the link and it goes to her account and her house?

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyWebAffiliate
    Does that mean my granny can't buy from me? Can she if she clicks the link and it goes to her account and her house?
    Of course she can. The wording in the Amazon agreement is stupid. I had to put an Amazon banner on my home page specifically for my family and friends who shop Amazon and want to buy from me. My purchases do get "reversed" come payment time, though but I figure my purchases count toward the number of items sold and I try to make that extra % each quarter so I buy through my own links, thinking it might help me reach the next level. Not sure if those sales actually still count once they reverse thm - does anyone know?
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Great point, Rexanne! I never thought about that. The way it is reversed, I think they would still count towards your tiers.

I'll keep buying through other affiliates, though. With the large gaps between the number of products at the higher tiers, my personal orders will never make a difference.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

When I wish to purchase an item through Amazon, I merely have one of my children make the purchase through my site and have the item shipped directly to me. Works well. Amazon's rule is stupid and counter productive. A sale is a sale.

Gene
    TCS

You might want to check your Payment History to see if they caught the personal orders. The deductions for personal orders don't show up anywhere but there. (They're posted sometime between the end of the quarter and the payment date.) I don't know what criteria they use to catch personal orders, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were catching them and you just never noticed.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

ABW Ambassador
    "I don't know what criteria they use to catch personal orders"

I was wondering that too, i guess they just match the addresses or the names up.

In my entire association with Amazon, I have had only one reversal. That reversal was a book that the shopper returned.

Gene
    TCS

Those show up in the normal reports. Reversals of personal sales don't. They only show up in the Payment History. Check there. You might be surprised.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Michael;

No surprises here.

Gene
    TCS

Actually, if someone was buying ME a present and using my link, that shouldn't be reversed, should it? So maybe it's by the buyer's information that they reverse. My personal sales are always reversed come payday.

I can buy a book down the street at the discount book store, same with CDs, DVDs and toys so I think Amazon is indeed being stingy. The paltry commission doesn't even cover their S&H costs. They should pamper their affiliates more. If that sale was through another aff link, they'd have to pay the commission anyway so the cost has to be worked into the price. A little good will goes a long way to gain loyalty.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Apparently Amazon.com doesn't need to do a little good in order to gain loyalty.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Apparently Amazon.com doesn't need to do a little good in order to gain loyalty.
    True. They're the King and we're peasants.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Quote Originally Posted by thecool
    When I wish to purchase an item through Amazon, I merely have one of my children make the purchase through my site and have the item shipped directly to me. Works well. Amazon's rule is stupid and counter productive. A sale is a sale.

Gene
    TCS
    I don't know why every family wouldn't be an affiliate of something and buy for each other then. I know of no ethical problem with this. It just shows you there are so many that don't know about affiliate marketing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast