Question Can I use adwords for zappos?
    I was thinking of joining zappos, but after reading the terms it looks difficult to promote my site. It mentioned search engine advertising and having to put zappos associate in the language. I don't know if that was if I had just a straight clickthru to zappos (don't know if that is allowed) or even it they were pointed to my site I had to say zappos in the ad. Anyone know? What if I had other shoe places besides zappos. I wouldn't want to put zappos alone in the ad.

Thanks for any help.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    PPCSE Registered Trademark Ads are taboo for any branded merchant. They rightfully will whack any affiliate/competitor brand traffic hijacker off at the knees. Many restrict PPCSE direct to merchant affiliate links requiring you to build a landing page.

It's true some AM's for merchants are as dumb as a sack of nails, just begging to get ripped by PPCSE click farms and script clickers when authorizing direct to merchant PPCSE, with or without brand name Ad restrictions.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Question
    Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    PPCSE Registered Trademark Ads are taboo for any branded merchant. They rightfully will whack any affiliate/competitor brand traffic hijacker off at the knees. Many restrict PPCSE direct to merchant affiliate links requiring you to build a landing page.

It's true some AM's for merchants are as dumb as a sack of nails, just begging to get ripped by PPCSE click farms and script clickers when authorizing direct to merchant PPCSE, with or without brand name Ad restrictions.
    I'm sorry. What does AM's for merchants mean (I must be a sack of nails smart for asking What do you mean by "click farms" and "script clickers"?Just wondering if you could explain that last paragraph a little.

I don't think I understand why merchants make this taboo. Why would they get mad because I sent someone to their site, free of charge, and especially when the person buys something?

Thank you.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Click farms are the "get paid to ??? whatever" wanks and click scripts use a bot to autotarget trademark and brandnames to force click the ads without any human being present. PPCSE click fraud was over 20 billion dollars last year and rising. Fire those who turn a blind eye to it if your a merchant.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    Click farms are the "get paid to ??? whatever" wanks and click scripts use a bot to autotarget trademark and brandnames to force click the ads without any human being present. PPCSE click fraud was over 20 billion dollars last year and rising. Fire those who turn a blind eye to it if your a merchant.
    Thanks. I read my response, and I do not know if my question was clear. I do not want to be a click far or write a bot. I just wanted to send someone to the website to buy a shoe. If they click the adwords, and they don't buy, it's my loss. If they do buy, everyone gains. Don't know why it would be bad.

ABW Ambassador
    You would have to ask the merchant if they allow affiliates to link directly to their site from the Adwords. Best bet is to make a page and send the traffic there first and then off to the merchant. With Zappos you can use whatever they sell as keywords, just don't use their TM "Zappos"

Zappos does not care if you link directly to them from Adwords. However, in order to do so (according to Adwords rules), you would have to use Zappos.com as your "display URL" in your Adwords ad (which is against the Zappos rules).

So, it's a catch 22. Zappos will let you do a direct link as long as you don't use zappos.com (or any variation) in the Display URL. The problem with that is ... Adwords requires you to use a display URL that matches the destination URL. If you link directly to Zappos and use a display URL of myfakesite.com (for example) then Adwords will catch you. They will see that when you click on myfakesite.com you actually end up at Zappos.com and then Adwords will disable all of your keywords.

A more dismal situation would be for you to actually use zappos.com as your display URL. In this case, Zappos would terminate your relationship with them.

As stated earlier, it's best to have a landing page. In fact, it's best to have a well optimized landing page. Google Adwords now uses an algorythmic mechanism in order to rate the landing pages that their users would see. So, by using your own landing page, you can control and optimize your page so that your advertizing efforts will be more cost-effective.
    :warning: If we don't get some cool rules ourselves.... pronto... then we'll just be bogus too..

Question
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Collier
    Zappos does not care if you link directly to them from Adwords. However, in order to do so (according to Adwords rules), you would have to use Zappos.com as your "display URL" in your Adwords ad (which is against the Zappos rules).

So, it's a catch 22. Zappos will let you do a direct link as long as you don't use zappos.com (or any variation) in the Display URL. The problem with that is ... Adwords requires you to use a display URL that matches the destination URL. If you link directly to Zappos and use a display URL of myfakesite.com (for example) then Adwords will catch you. They will see that when you click on myfakesite.com you actually end up at Zappos.com and then Adwords will disable all of your keywords.

A more dismal situation would be for you to actually use zappos.com as your display URL. In this case, Zappos would terminate your relationship with them.

As stated earlier, it's best to have a landing page. In fact, it's best to have a well optimized landing page. Google Adwords now uses an algorythmic mechanism in order to rate the landing pages that their users would see. So, by using your own landing page, you can control and optimize your page so that your advertizing efforts will be more cost-effective.
    Not trying be dense, but why is a landing page better? They have all the goods and a nice website. Why would it be better for me to, what appear to be anyway, re-invent the wheel? Not arguing. Just asking to understand.

Johnny, its like this:

Zappos

1) does Adwords ads themselves and does not want to compete with affiliates, as only one ad will show for the display URL and they don't want you running ads on the 00,000's of keywords they might bid on one day and especially the 100 or so good ones they make tons of money on without your help thank-you very much.

2) doesn't want their brand tarnished with crummy affiliate ads with words like "cheap" and "discount" in them

A landing page will be better if you do some value add info or "pre-selling" to improve the final conversion rate.

You are partly right that going to a landing page you created would be "re-inventing the wheel" if all your page had was the same products and information. You would just suffer a click-thru loss % to the merchant site.

If you did something to add value to the customer experience, you would make up for the click-thru loss and then some.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread