Question Why can't I write my own ebook or epaper?
    I hope this is not the wrong forum/lounge for this.

I am naive to be sure, when it comes to marketing and buying an selling, but I was looking at places that sell ebooks and digital products and thought, why can't I just write my own thing an sell it independent of any merchant?

For example, I have an essay from college that is informative and still relevant. Why couldn't I just make it a PDF or a text file, use adwords, and maybe sell it?

I don't really know how folks would pay for it outside of paypal, but I didn't know why the concept was necessarily bad.

Any comments are welcome. Thank you.

Let's put this in perspective.

Do you buy ebooks? Do you know anybody who buys ebooks?

If the answer is yes to either, then give it a try. Good luck.

Ask yourself "What should I try to sell?" The answer to another question, "What do a lot of people buy?", is the answer to this question.

Question
    Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate_Chicken
    Let's put this in perspective.

Do you buy ebooks? Do you know anybody who buys ebooks?

If the answer is yes to either, then give it a try. Good luck.

Ask yourself "What should I try to sell?" The answer to another question, "What do a lot of people buy?", is the answer to this question.

Okay, that's good. Thanks. What do you think about the "How do I get the money part?" Unless I used paypal I'd have to pay some big credit card merchant account, wouldn't I?

Take a look at Clickbank. It seems like a lot of merchants with mostly downloads use them.

Lightbulb
    You might consider offering it as a physical product, printed-out and delivered by mail on receipt of payment by check. Primitive, but still valid. Only gets complicated if there are embedded hyperlinks in the copy.

Clickbank exists for the purpose of selling ebooks for authors. There's a set-up fee and a forum here at ABW.

CafePress will also print hard copy books on demand, with a fee set by the number of pages.

The third option is, as you guessed, Paypal (or other similar set-ups) where you create your own sales pages and Pay Now buttons, etc.

Note: With the first two options you can offer potential affiliates the opportunity to promote your book for you. That's part of their benefit to the author

Ebooks...
    From my personal experience, eBooks do very well. I use a product called eBookPro, from a Canadian company who are probably well known here by all. Google is your friend.

If you can type, you can write an ebook. It might not be the best ebook, but it's an ebook none the less.

I'm not going to bring up all the nice features the eBookPro has, I'll let you read that on your own. However, they make it very easy to bring in some very good money with eBooks.

As was mentioned, if you like them, and read them, then other people do, too. One point of advice - don't write an ebook about a topic that thousands of other people have already written on, unless you're doing something significantly different (and proven to be successful) than they are.

Just Phil's .02

~Phil

lurk
    There are many ebooks that do extreamly well and can pull in over $50k/month in sales although aside from how well your ebook is written you still have to know how to market yourself, how to gain leads and work with them.

There are loads of ebooks, people have their choice of what to buy. It is your job persuade them or remind them why they need to buy YOUR ebook.
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by MLMEruption
    From my personal experience, eBooks do very well. I use a product called eBookPro, from a Canadian company who are probably well known here by all. Google is your friend.

If you can type, you can write an ebook. It might not be the best ebook, but it's an ebook none the less.

I'm not going to bring up all the nice features the eBookPro has, I'll let you read that on your own. However, they make it very easy to bring in some very good money with eBooks.

As was mentioned, if you like them, and read them, then other people do, too. One point of advice - don't write an ebook about a topic that thousands of other people have already written on, unless you're doing something significantly different (and proven to be successful) than they are.

Just Phil's .02

~Phil
    Now I am thinking what would I do to keep it from being taken by a search engine link. I wonder if there is a product (I know there is somewhere) where I can keep a file safe on the server and send it or provide a link to it, when the person buys it.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyWebAffiliate
    Now I am thinking what would I do to keep it from being taken by a search engine link. I wonder if there is a product (I know there is somewhere) where I can keep a file safe on the server and send it or provide a link to it, when the person buys it.
    I think you can set up a "password protected" file at your hosting company which is what you send to someone who buys your book or information. Or you create the e-book in PDF format and send the digital file without need for a password.

Password protected files (pages) can and will be accessed by others who have not paid for access. Most people who buy access to an e-book, I'd think, will likely pass it around.

Meanwhile, if you can write and have something to say, I'd urge you to go for it, especially since you already have the college essay you want to use written. If you have success with the first one, you can write another and another, etc. I think ClickBank is the way to go, but I speak only from an affiliate POV. With CB, you don't have to deal with a merchant account or processing payments.

GO FOR IT! It's the way! If you don't, you'll be kicking yourself around the block in a few years when someone else publishes a similar e-book.

Then come back and tell us about your success!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

This list might be helpful to you:

http://dmoz.org/Business/Publishing_...ronic/E-Books/
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyWebAffiliate
    Make a description page about the product. The last thing you want is a search engine linking directly to your product. You'd lose any chance at any upsell.

If you want to keep all of your ebooks say in one directory called "ebooks", then just use a robots.txt file and add

Disallow: /ebooks/

Search engines will then not index the page...

This way, your product page gets picked up and listed by search engines, but the actual location of the product does not get listed.

However, people will tell their friends the location of the file.

You could password protect the directory... but...

The problem with "password protecting" the directory is that unless you're going to use PHP/ASP to handle the creation of user/passwords for you, you're going to constantly be working. I know I wouldn't want to do that.

You can keep the file below the public access level...

Last year, I had a PDF report that I distributed. I sent people a unique link created by a nice piece of code I wrote. When the user followed the URL, it recorded their download, and pushed the PDF file to the browser for download. The PDF file itself was located below the public directory level, so there was no chance of anyone directly linking to it. This does require a bit of coding knowledge...

I will again suggest you look into ebookspro. It doesn't matter one bit if the user tells all their friends about the location of the ebook -- it's ok for them to download it -- they have to have a user/pass to access the book once they have it, and that licensing is all taken care of for you by the server component of ebookspro.

Well worth every penny.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread