Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    I HATE When I'm Duped!
    Partner Centric wants to buy you dinner! We're not talking about just a burger and fries, but a $25 gift certificate to use at a participating Restaurant.com partner in your neighborhood!
    That's from an email some of us rec'd - copied from a closed post that went off-topic.

Any NORMAL person would fill out the survey assuming they would receive... a $25 gift certificate

NO!

Link arrived today

It's $25 off ONLY if you spend MORE then $25 - like $25 off $60 total/not counting drinks

Here's what a free $25 dinner at The Plams REALLY means:
    Min. purchase $45. Excludes tax & tip. Not valid on Holidays/Special Dinner Events/Friday/Saturday.

Here's Bella Luna:
    $10 Dining Certificate. Minimum purchase of $15/2 entrees. Valid for lunch only. Not valid on tax, tip, and alcohol. HOW IS A $10 LUNCH-ONLY CERTIFICATE THE SAME AS BUYING ME A $25 DINNER??

I think they should honor their promise and buy me a $25 dinner in Vegas - no friggin strings attached

I filled their survey and started a thread about it here

They didn't get back to me & I didn't hear about the minimum purchase requirements

I wasted my time
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

http and a telephoto
    not good
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    not good
    Could be worse...
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

get ready for the spam storm...

Geez. Now I'm disappointed.

I thought I was the only one who got that email, because I am so special to them.

Maybe that is why some of their merchants are chosing not to renew their contracts with them?

They're getting fed some similar BS and aren't delivering to the merchants what they claim to have been able to? I don't know just a hunch but they lost the contract for both Snapfish and the Smooth Corp in the same month.

Doesn't matter how you spin it they should have been upfront with us about what the free dinner offer actually was.

If anyone should know they should. We hate deceptive practices more then any other industry out there. We deal enough with it with all the spam and spyware out there!

Internet Cowboy
    I never got that email. I still maintain that they are a decent firm to work with. It sounds to me like maybe they got duped too. They sent me cash at Christmas. They are the only affiliate management firm that did that!

Lightbulb
    the discount restaurant certificates from restaurant.com are OK as they are, but shouldn't have been used as an incentive. Naturally, some restaurants have heavy restrictions which makes the deal almost useless for certain times or sizes of party. Also, these were useless for affiliates who reside outside the US.

this must have been someone's bright idea that wasn't fully researched.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    How many have faith that Partnercentric doesn't scrape off any sellable info from their merchants and affiliates to multiple bidders within the IAB and DMA membership roster??
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I hope you don't go hungry tonight Billy.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    I never got that email. I still maintain that they are a decent firm to work with. It sounds to me like maybe they got duped too. They sent me cash at Christmas. They are the only affiliate management firm that did that!
    I can send you one of the 30 or so that I got. I literally got 4-5 per program for several programs. I didn't open them or read them because I am not actively working my affiliate sites at this time because I am a busy AM instead, but the volume was pretty annoying and now to know they were not what they were presented as makes it even more annoying. Like a misleading thread title....
    Deborah Carney

That's how all the certificates at Restaurant.com work. The $25 certificates normally sell for $10 and are frequently discounted to $5 or $4 (and once in a while $3) with coupons. Some restaurants used to have no minimums or requirements, but I haven't seen any like that for about a year or two. The least restrictive ones now typically require a minimum $35 order, often with 2 dinners, and often only Sunday through Thursday.

This is exactly the same thing that Entertainment.com was giving away with Entertainment Passbook purchases last month.

Restaurant.com has a pretty slick business model. The restaurants don't get paid anything for the gift certificates (thus the restrictions). They basically just get customers (hopefully new ones) to fill tables on slower nights. If the restaurant is lucky, the other $10+ spent will cover their food and labor costs and they might get some repeat business out of it. The customers pay $5-$10 for the certificates. The customer prints the certificates. Everything is virtually automated and Restaurant.com doesn't have to do hardly anything.

They have an affiliate program on CJ (and in house) that pays 15%, plus they also sell certificates on eBay (totally automated, again).
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    That's how all the certificates at Restaurant.com work.
    Had they told me upfront it was a $25 OFF coupon and restrictions apply - then I wouldn't be pi**ed.

But I re-read the email several times.

I was led to believe if I filled out their survey, they would buy me a $25 dinner. That I would receive a certificate for $25 - even if I just ordered a piece of pie and a coffee.

Had they phrased it "We want to chip in and pay for part of your dinner" - rather then we want to BUY you dinner - I wouldn't feel like I've been had.

This post isn't meant as an anti-PC post, (I like Matt, Chris and Bump) - just that I feel like I was duped.

What Billy said.
    We... "want to buy you dinner"
    "We Care What You ThinkTo Prove It We Will Buy You Dinner"
    "Well reward you for taking our survey with a free $25 Restaurant.com dining certificate."
    "Then just pick a place, print out your dining certificate and enjoy your meal!"
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

I just received an e-mail from Partner Centric:
    Thank you for completing the Annual PartnerCentric Affiliate Survey. Please find below a $25 dining certificate code redeemable at www.theidealmeal.com as our thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and opinions with us. Click on the link below to activate your dining certificate valid at over 7000 restaurants throughout the U.S. Then just pick a place, print out your dining certificate and enjoy your meal!
    I'm supposed to activate a link but I am afraid to do so

If it's a deal where I have to spend $50 in order to get $25 off, I don't think I'll click the link.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Your comments....
    Abestwebers

We issued this gift certificate as a thank you to publishers for answering a simple 7 question survey. Our primary goal here was to communicate your desires and needs as affiliates to merchants, in an effort make your job easier as a marketer. Its unfortunate that in this effort to help you (and reward you for that!)we are faced with complaints like this.

It appears that there were some provisions with the gift certificateas you can imagine knowing all the provisions for every restaurant in Restaurant.coms 7000 restaurant network is quite difficult (every restaurant can have different provisions). We thought it was very nice of Restaurant.com to give us 1500 certificates to reward our affiliate partners.

Partner Centric has and will continue to do everything that we can to serve affiliates. Whether its offering a $25 gift certificate for 2-3 minutes of your time. hosting cocktail parties where you are the guest of honor, getting special exclusive coupons or VIP commissions for you, or creating contests where thousands of dollars and prizes are given away to affiliates, we are committed to building successful partnerships with you.

As for the comments on the state of our business as well as theories on what we do with contact information, these are all simply wrong. Partner Centric saw tremendous growth in 2005 and sees stronger growth in 2006. Merchant and employee turnover is the nature of all business it happens here, at CJ, at Linkshare, at IBM, at Microsofteverywhere! We continue to bring on new clients and grow the Partner Centric team, you can expect to see many more merchants and some new faces in 2006.

Since the owner of this board has blocked virtually every Partner Centric staffer from posting here it is difficult for us to ever respond to your comments, and since he does not have the professional capacity to discuss issues like this on an adult level, we realize that the life span of this post will be very limited. Because of this we are syndicating the message across all boards and blogs that support affiliate marketing.

Finally if anyone has an issue with Partner Centric , contact us directly. You can email the President, Linda Woods as linda@Partner Centric .com.

Its unfortunate that in this effort to help you (and reward you for that!)we are faced with complaints like this.
    Nice.

You can't be bothered to skim the terms and conditions of this before you blast these out to everyone and then you try and make it out as we are just being ungrateful.

The fact is, had you put a little time into this, then worded this in a more appropriate manner you wouldn't have these "complaints."

As for reading the terms and conditions on all 7000 or whatever number restaurants, had you spent a few minutes looking at this you would easily see that pretty much all establishments in this program had requirements like this. Whoops, I should be careful when I say that. I have checked a whack of listings in three states and have yet to find one that doesn't.

... buy you dinner.

... towards your dinner.

one word different = no grief.

I was annoyed by this but really, it was a $25 certificate for food, so how upset could I really be

That said, try and make me out as an ingrate because of your lack of research/preperation/whatever and I move from Defcon: Annoyed to Defcon: Peeved

\\edited for spelling\\ and because Defcon Pissed is after Defcon Peeved.
    If anyone is wondering, it goes like this.
    Defcon: In the history of ass kickings there will never be an ass kicking like I am about to give you
    Defcon: Livid
    Defcon: Pissed
    Defcon: Peeved
    Defcon: Annoyed
    Defcon: Not getting any
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

I guess my expectations were lower than most, because I already knew what Restaurant.com "Gift Certificates" were. I can see how people would be upset if they were expecting a real gift certificate. They'll still save you $25 on a meal.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

if you don't want the cert can I use it im hungry

http and a telephoto
    Since the owner of this board has blocked virtually every Partner Centric staffer from posting here it is difficult for us to ever respond to your comments, and since he does not have the professional capacity to discuss issues like this on an adult level, we realize that the life span of this post will be very limited. Because of this we are syndicating the message across all boards and blogs that support affiliate marketing.
    I usually refrain from making comments about other affiliate management practices, but this is pretty unprofessional in and of itself. You are blasting out that you are offended that people were offended because of a mis-worded offer?

Why not admit you made a mistake, apologize and move on instead of fueling more fire? IMO, you could handle this graciously or not, and at the moment, NOT is what is happening.
    Deborah Carney

Quote Originally Posted by marketer74
    Since the owner of this board has blocked virtually every Partner Centric staffer from posting here it is difficult for us to ever respond to your comments.
    Membership on ABW is not a right, it is a privilege, but....

Quote Originally Posted by marketer74
    and since he does not have the professional capacity to discuss issues like this on an adult level
    .... your "professional" boss thinks she can slander me on my and other boards, I say nothing in reply but I'm the unprofessional one? You, Linda and the rest of team malarkey need to realize that things don't work that way. Partner centric can do whatever tricks, ploys or even slander but I will not allow any of it or you people on my board.

I think only the worst of partner centric.

we realize that the life span of this post will be very limited.
    So please, the next time you people fudge up [again!] don't think you have a "right" to post, because you still take a swipe at me (accusing me of deleting your post) even after all the previous bad blood.

Because of this we are syndicating the message across all boards and blocs that support affiliate marketing.
    Really? Partner centric deluging the marketplace with spam and spin when they mucked up ... now that's news to me!!!!

Why don't you people just re-spam the same poor affs you hit the first time? ... oh sorry you can't get merchant payment approval on that.

Now goodbye.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Internet Cowboy
    I was actually going to ask why they were not represented here.
    I guess there is some water under the bridge that I don't know about.
    Last edited by UncleScooter; March 3rd, 2006 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Yikes, just read Haiko's post.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    D
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    some water under the bridge

Excluding adjacent seas, the Pacific Ocean represents 45.9% of the world's oceans and covers 166,241,700 km (64,186,000 miles) in area and is the Largest Ocean.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast