Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Effective affiliate recruiting???
    Hi everyone.
    This is probably another annoying question from a newbie, but itís very important to me in this starting phase, so any info you can give to me is highly appreciated:

Right now Iím setting up my first affiliate program, Iíve done some research on my own, but I need some opinions from experienced people.

My question concerns Affiliate recruiting:
    Some say itís best to resort to Affiliate networks, some say that they are a big disappointment, that they donít generate the results you expect them to, that you should do the recruiting yourselfÖ.
    What do you think? What are the most effective affiliate recruiting methods?

Thank you so much for your help

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    If your a product merchant program just jump to SAS and open a forum here at ABW. The achilles heel of the major networks is they are tasked to recruit legit TOS abiding affiliates to their new merchants for the huge entry/setup fee. All you'll get is incenters - BHO's - mass e-mailers without and SEM direct to merchant super affiliates hawking your trademarks.

Pay Haiko for a banner rotation and please don't launch a program that can't convert a steady 1 sale per 100 clicks regardless of traffic source.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Networks will get you quantity, but the quality (especially at CJ) will make you crazy and will be a time sponge from hell. It's quality you're looking for. There's a lot to learn in this area.

Developing new affiliates is great, but the time delay involved doing that means your efforts need to start with existing sites with existing relevant traffic, then move towards developing affs later once you've got momentum.

I suggest you attend Andy Rodriguez's affiliate manager training seminar that's coming up - affiliate recruiting tactics and techniques are covered in the seminar.
    http://www.andyrodriguez.com/Affilia...-Miami-05.html

Good luck!

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    And I agree with Mike and Charlie, getting a forum on ABW and chatting with Haiko about ways to connect with ABW'ers is a very good idea as well.

Dittos on an ABW Forum and Andy's Seminar.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

http and a telephoto
    Have a great product and program and get involved here.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Tax Paying Member
    Curious about conversion numbers
    Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity

Pay Haiko for a banner rotation and please don't launch a program that can't convert a steady 1 sale per 100 clicks regardless of traffic source.

Maybe this is not the place, but the subject was broached.......I know that there are always a million variables but there is aways averages and "RULE OF THUMB". Could someone tell me what the rule of thumb is for click thru to sale conversion rate? Is it 1/100.....1/20.....1/1000? At what point do you hang it up and move on to a new merchant.

Just trying to learn.......
    Last edited by Witzer; March 3rd, 2006 at 12:15 PM. Reason: clean up

ABW Ambassador
    1:100 for most programs.
    Some do WAAAY better
    We have an affiliate with 1:3 but that is deceptive since our clients can opt for monthly shipments which will show as a sale with NO CLICK.

EPC is not a good measure - imho

Scenario I: Join a network, announce your program at ABW, sign up for banner/e-mail advertising within your network, AND if you do not have the time to manage your program yourself, hire an OPM (outsourced program manager) and he/she will do everything else for you.

Scenario II: Join a network, announce your program at ABW, sign up for banner/e-mail advertising within your network, go to Andy's seminar, open a forum here at ABW, put together promotions, limited-time offers, % increases, gifts, trips, parties etc, etc, etc... AND do not forget that something like Arelis can also be used for effective affiliate recruiting.

Good luck learning, and welcome to the learning forum!

Geno

Quote Originally Posted by Witzer
    Could someone tell me what the rule of thumb is for click thru to sale conversion rate? Is it 1/100.....1/20.....1/1000?
    Highly dependent on the industry!
    Quote Originally Posted by Witzer
    At what point do you hang it up and move on to a new merchant.
    Depends on what your affiliate endeavors are concentrated around (a quality content site, a "mall", just some ****** site that has nothing but Adwords links on it...) I cannot see why one would want to "hang it up and move on to a new merchant" if he/she built a site that can embrase everyone who converts...

Geno

Thank you all for your answers.
    First of all, let me tell you exactly how things are: The affiliate program that i'm dealing with is for a gambling site. Now, i know perfectly well that most of you might jump and sayh, you're not serious,... all that prejudice stuff. The truth is that it's a very legal site, and my job is to find the best solution in terms of advertising for it.
    I'm new in this industry, I haven't figuered it out exactly how stuff really works, I'm not an Affiliate manager, nor the owner of the site.
    About the conversion rate: the site is not ready yet, so i cannot give you an estimation. We plan to finish the creation of the Affiliate program as soon as the site is launched.

For the ones that actually dealt with gambling affiliate programs before, what do you suggest i should do for starters? So far i've talked to some affiliate networks but got some negative answers just because we're trying to promote a gambling product...

this on one hand, and on the other hand, as Ecomcity just said, all that these networks do is actually spamming some potential affiliates? If i don't understand correctly, please tell me...

Thank you so much for any kind of suggestions.

ABW Ambassador
    also, you can try googling your top competitors affiliates and contact those ones who are promoting multiple merchants. of course, you should be offering them a better program than those of your competitors. HTH
    The Best Forums
    Nothing in the world can take the place of persistance
    . Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistance and determination are omnipotent.
    Abestweb Store

Anyone???

"Anyone" what? Anyone else?

Have you tried all of the above, and it didn't work?

Geno

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    "Anyone" what? Anyone else?

Have you tried all of the above, and it didn't work?

Geno
    No, unfortunately i haven't had the chance to try all your suggested methods becuase we haven't finished the program yet ...that doesn't mean that i won't try them , not that i don't appreciate all your suggestions..because from where i'm standing right now, all suggestions are more tham welcome.
    I was just hoping that there might be someone who actually dealt with gambling affiliate programs and might give me some tips where to start from...(given the fact that not all directories,forums or affiliate programs accept gambling-related affiliate programs)...that's all.
    Thanx

Sounds like Andy's seminar would be a perfect even to attend in your case. Also, checking out who promotes your competitors should help greatly (IMHO).

Geno

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    It takes 60-90 days to recruit new affiliates directly even when they might have been in your program for years with no action. The most important thing is to think from an affiliates perspective. What is compelling and competitive about your program. What do you offer that other programs don't? Do you have a unique selling proposition for your affiliates??

If you use a network you need to be seen with a competitive advantage otherwise you will just be ignored. I haven't worked with SAS directly but have with LinkShare and Commission Junction. It is tough to differentiate your program there and you need to recruit outside of the network as well as to activate those who have signed up through the network.

Haiko can offer a number of solutions here but you need to get your program ready and in launch mode.

Newaff and Geno,
    Thanks so much for the tip, it does help..i will most certainly try it.Actually I've contacted some promoters of our competitos(a few) and i was very surprised to see that they either didn't reply at all, or simply answered "we are not interested". I was very disappointed to get this feedback, until someone told me that they might have an exclusivity contract.Is it possible?(again, i apologize if this is a stupid question but i have to see where I stand and what are the chances of me doing the recruiting alone, most importantly, doing an effective recruiting).
    Thanx.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick
    It takes 60-90 days to recruit new affiliates directly even when they might have been in your program for years with no action. The most important thing is to think from an affiliates perspective. What is compelling and competitive about your program. What do you offer that other programs don't? Do you have a unique selling proposition for your affiliates??

If you use a network you need to be seen with a competitive advantage otherwise you will just be ignored. I haven't worked with SAS directly but have with LinkShare and Commission Junction. It is tough to differentiate your program there and you need to recruit outside of the network as well as to activate those who have signed up through the network.

Haiko can offer a number of solutions here but you need to get your program ready and in launch mode.
    Hi Chuck. Yes, we do have an unique selling proposition, actually "unique" incentives in our industry. We are very aware of the fact that if we don't bring forth somenthing special, our chances of success are very low. So from this point of view, we are sure we will be "different", that is better. The problem is: how can we make our program known? How can we reach the right affiliates?
    Are directory submissions and forum announcements enough to make the affiliates see that I'm not just a one program in a thousand, that i do value their work and i'm willing to properly reward them?
    Thanx for all your opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by helpseeker
    The problem is: how can we make our program known? How can we reach the right affiliates?
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=60407 + use the "Search" function in this forum

Are directory submissions and forum announcements enough to make the affiliates see that I'm not just a one program in a thousand, that i do value their work and i'm willing to properly reward them?
    Look at what other AMs are doing around this forum and you'll see that an active, caring and hard-working AM is what makes any program special and "not just a one program in a thousand"... If you yourself plan to act like "one in a thousand" - so will your program be treated by affiliates... It's all in your hands (literally)!

Geno

...Actually I've contacted some promoters of our competitos(a few) and i was very surprised to see that they either didn't reply at all, or simply answered "we are not interested". I was very disappointed to get this feedback, until someone told me that they might have an exclusivity contract.Is it possible?
    It is. BUT in the end of the day everything boils down to a better deal. Make 'em an offer they wouldn't be able to afford to refuse (e.g.: beating what your competition is currently paying them to keep 'em selling their stuff), and they'll change their mind (unless they are bound by some serious agreement)!

Geno

ABW Ambassador
    Newaff and Geno,
    Thanks so much for the tip, it does help..i will most certainly try it.Actually I've contacted some promoters of our competitos(a few) and i was very surprised to see that they either didn't reply at all, or simply answered "we are not interested". I was very disappointed to get this feedback, until someone told me that they might have an exclusivity contract.Is it possible?(again, i apologize if this is a stupid question but i have to see where I stand and what are the chances of me doing the recruiting alone, most importantly, doing an effective recruiting).
    Thanx.
    helpseeker, if they don't reply, most likely they didn't like your offer - few might be having exclusive contracts. try comparing your offer with your competitors - it's not always the biggest commissions which are attractive - some good conversion ratios and being parasite-free would help too.

also, you can ask for your program's review from affiliates which can help you in sorting out the problems with your offer.
    The Best Forums
    Nothing in the world can take the place of persistance
    . Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistance and determination are omnipotent.
    Abestweb Store

Affiliate Manager PingoPrepaidCallingCards's Avatar
    Finding Targeted Affiliates using search and Arelis tools
    Great discussion on finding affiliates.

Some of the tips discussed have been on using back link tools like Arelis or googling your competitors to find super affiliates

I read an article that said that you can easily find affiliate partners for a network such as Link Connector that doesn't hide the links.

1. googling competitors search tips

ex: "(competitor) coupon code" "(competitors) brand name" Then what?

2. Arelis

Any good tips for using the service to speed up your time searching or convincing affiliates to make the switch?

Thanks for your support ABW,

Brian
    Brian Hawkins AM @ [URL=http://www.pingo.com/affiliate.do]Pingo[/URL] Earn up to $35 CPA for a [URL=http://www.pingo.com/p/onedollar/onedollar.html]$1 trial offer[/URL]!
    [URL=http://www.twitter.com/TelecomAgents]@TelecomAgents[/URL] [URL=http://www.twitter.com/telephonecard]@TelephoneCard[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by PingoPrepaidCallingCards
    1. googling competitors search tips

ex: "(competitor) coupon code" "(competitors) brand name" Then what?
    Contact, offer, make it attractive, demonstrate that you're worth it... Read above.

Affiliate Manager PingoPrepaidCallingCards's Avatar
    Thanks, I was just curious on any examples of interesting prizes, offers and or offering value added information that have worked for others?
    Brian Hawkins AM @ [URL=http://www.pingo.com/affiliate.do]Pingo[/URL] Earn up to $35 CPA for a [URL=http://www.pingo.com/p/onedollar/onedollar.html]$1 trial offer[/URL]!
    [URL=http://www.twitter.com/TelecomAgents]@TelecomAgents[/URL] [URL=http://www.twitter.com/telephonecard]@TelephoneCard[/URL]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast