Newbie question: How important is the domain name?
    Hi all,

I've been looking, reading and searching and haven't really seen anything along these lines.

I pretty much have 2 or 3 area's I'd love to get into as far as being an affiliate. Mostly because they are the only 2 or 3 area's I actually know things about.

I have read that the only way to make any money as an affiliate is to have articles on the chosen topic that are unique and constant. Given that then, that leaves me with the above mentioned 2 or 3 area's I can write articles about, meaning I am pretty limited in what area's I can be an affiliate in.

The problem I have at the moment is a domain name. All the good ones seem to be taken. Any domain that is remotely linked to the area I can write about has a web site on it or one of those really annoying "this site is for sale for an extremely over priced amount because I still think it's 1999 and can get away with asking so much" type of pages.

So the crux of my post. How important is the domain name? Say for example I know about widgets. I can write semi-regular articles about widgets. I want to add affiliate links that relate in some way to widgets on my site. I then go to find a domain name. widgets.com and pretty much every variation of that name are not available for registration. What do you do? Do you go for a hypened name if that is there? Do you go for a .net if you can? Do you get a completely irrelevant sounding name like pinkoranges.com and then hope that given enough articles on widgets that the domain pinkoranges.com will be seen as a place to go for info on widgets? Domain names are so hard to get now days!

Thanks for your time.

The domain name is fairly important, but what aspects of it are important depend on what you want to do with it.

If you want type-in traffic, it's important to have someone that is short, easy to spell, and preferably a .com. If it's multiple words, you probably want both the dashed and non-dashed versions. You also want something that's not ambiguous. For instance, with your example of PinkOranges.com, I saw it as PinkoRanges.com at first.

For SEO purposes, you probably want a main keyword as part of your domain name. This also helps in PPC and other things. It should be obvious what the topic of your domain is just by the domain name, unless you plan on spending a fortune on branding.

If you want to email me your list of areas, I'd be glad to recommend some domain names. I'm usually pretty good at finding available ones. Just go to the contact page on my site to get my email address.

On a totally unrelated note, I strongly disagree with the advice you were give: "I have read that the only way to make any money as an affiliate is to have articles on the chosen topic that are unique and constant." My recommendation is to provide value to your visitors and try to become an authority in your chosen topic. Most articles I've read are mainly just search engine "bait" and provide no real value to visitors.

Ask yourself some of these questions and it'll help determine the best direction to take when building a site:

What will make people want to come to my site? What will make people tell others about my site? What can I do to make sure people want to continue to come back to my site?

What will be the demographics of my visitors? What merchants and/or products would my visitors be most interested in? How can I promote those merchants and/or products on my site most effectively? Are there specific tools or resources I can provide which will direct my visitors to specific products they might find essential or useful? How can I add value so that shoppers come through my site rather than going directly to the merchant?

Are there other ways to monetize my traffic?

What can I do to make sure my site makes effective use of SEO?

What ways should I promote my site? Can I afford PPC? Will a press release or announcement service be cost effective? Are there topic specific newsletters I can advertise (or perhaps even get a free plug) in? Are there topic specific magazines I can advertise in, and what that be cost effective?
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    I like to play with nameboy.com when brainstorming and beginning my search for appropriate domian names - suggest you give it a try.

What about domain names with .biz or .net or some other extension? Are they worth having?

Donuts,

this is the first time i've heard of nameboy.com and i'm real thankful you mentioned it...

instant brainstorming for domain names...I LOve it!

Thanks

Another site I use for helping find domain names is: http://www.domainsbot.com/

I like it a bit better than Nameboy because of the way you can customize your search.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

All that is true but you can also do some great things with domain names that do NOT have keywords in them if you make a really good site.

Think of most major brands. They rarely have keywords in their name. For instance, does the word Google by itself have much to make you think search engine if you didn't already know what it is?

In other words, it can be helpful but if you can't get what you want, just build your site with something else.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    I like to play with nameboy.com when brainstorming and beginning my search for appropriate domian names - suggest you give it a try.
    I find nameboy limiting. It only allows two names and maybe a hypen in the middle. Sometimes three or four words are needed.

I like "My Domain" discovery system. You put in as many words as you like and it generates suggestions for you. The biggest problem with that though is all the good ones are always gone

I'll try to respond to your email in the next day or two. Looks like you have some true passion in several different areas and some great ideas!

I like the domain tools at whois.sc.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I'll try to respond to your email in the next day or two. Looks like you have some true passion in several different areas and some great ideas!

I like the domain tools at whois.sc.
    Thank you. Very much appreciated. My interests are narrow but diverse Narrow as in the number of genuine interests, but diverse in the area's they cover.

ABW Ambassador
    Do not use nameboy.com.

The guy who runs it once tried to promote the great program where he paid spammers to spam, so that you would join his anti-spammer list. Ugh. He ran that under Global Removal Inc.

Anyone who plays games like that should be avoided. I would not trust my searches with him.

Chet

Affiliate Manager PingoPrepaidCallingCards's Avatar
    finding the best domain names. Go for older domain name or new one w/ search volume?
    You've all pointed out some good ways to plug in to create a short hopefully .com name.

My strategy is to buy an older domain name thats 2 plus years old. hopefully with old back links or check to see if it has pagerank.

ebay seems to be high priced and not many options.

I've been using Tdnam.com its $5 bucks to join to buy or sell domain names.

then do whois.sc/domainname.com to see the date on how old it is.

then you bid like $10 min to see if you can win it in a domain auction.

Or try to pick a domain name that has high keyword search volume 500 or 1000k searches a month in yahoo is great but hard to find because that means that you times that number by 4 and thats the total search engine keyword traffic. although that still means thats its going to be competitive to rank for this keyword phrase but you never know if you stick to quality content and links.

also its been said that 20% of searches are just typed in with the url name. so you could score traffic if you have a good keyword domain.

to look for high volume use the keyword domain tool at

webconfs.com/ i prefer this site with the seo tools they have for picking domain names.

good luck

Brian
    Last edited by PingoPrepaidCallingCards; May 26th, 2006 at 09:27 AM. Reason: spelling edits
    Brian Hawkins AM @ [URL=http://www.pingo.com/affiliate.do]Pingo[/URL] Earn up to $35 CPA for a [URL=http://www.pingo.com/p/onedollar/onedollar.html]$1 trial offer[/URL]!
    [URL=http://www.twitter.com/TelecomAgents]@TelecomAgents[/URL] [URL=http://www.twitter.com/telephonecard]@TelephoneCard[/URL]

i use nameboy to research names, but i buy them somewhere else.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread