Help with first affiliate site
    I'm getting ready to put up my first affiliate site. I've been working on content for a couple of months and thinking about layout and generally trying to get my ducks in a row.

I'm beginning to wonder if I should just get something up now and do the fine tuning later so that I can start getting traffic and get the SEs to at least know I'm there.

I guess the question is when it the right time to finally put your site up? Should I wait unti all the ducks are in a row, or just get it up and make adjustments as I go along?

Thanks for your help.

I've always held off on putting my sites out until it was at least to the point where it would be useful to people who found it. It doesn't have to be complete or perfect.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Parking my domain
    Is it a good idea to park my domain while I'm building it? How would I do that to maybe make a little money and get a little SE awareness?

Quote Originally Posted by BitCom
    Is it a good idea to park my domain while I'm building it? How would I do that to maybe make a little money and get a little SE awareness?
    That is what I do. Have an idea? Make a quick info page, lightly SEO'd, about your main keyphrases. Don't make any mention of 'coming soon' or 'under construction' just some light reading about the topic. Point a couple of links in.... let it fester a few months while you finish up the other ideas you've already started... then give it some attention.

Thanks for all your help. Great suggestions!

ABW Ambassador
    I'm beginning to wonder if I should just get something up now and do the fine tuning later so that I can start getting traffic and get the SEs to at least know I'm there.
    Yes, having something up on the site would be good for you coz search engines can take some time to rank your site and meanwhile you can keep working on it to improve it further.
    The Best Forums
    Nothing in the world can take the place of persistance
    . Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistance and determination are omnipotent.
    Abestweb Store

In the same vain of thought, you should have something on your site as it waits.

TheHoff has given some good ideas...adding to that...
    you could also use the ppc info from parking a site on yoursite with your design in place.
    They offer frames and javascript so that part doesn't do much for SEO, but your design, meta-tags, and any <h1> tags would help out with that.

Oregon Publishing: Web Development, Graphic Design, Domains & Marketing
    Deluxe Banners Bartender's Guide Cooking Jobs

ABW Ambassador
    Waiting until your site is perfect before you launch it is a good way to never launch your site. I go in rough and keep improving.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    I always put up a site (unless the domain is intended to just sit) with a few pages that look like a "finished product" (sometimes just the index page for a day or so). Then I put up a link to it ASAP to get the new site crawled right away, or at least let the engines know it's there and fetch the index page. The rest usually follow in short order. Then I build out the site section by section, topically, since I do themed niche sites.

I put up a site beginning of July that way, it was indexed and started getting income (Adsense and a few affiliate sales) in about 7-10 days from first day of launch. No PPC, organic search.

Best thing is to get *something* presentable up to get rolling, imho. No site ever made a dime sitting on someone's hard drive.

Quote Originally Posted by chetf
    Waiting until your site is perfect before you launch it is a good way to never launch your site. I go in rough and keep improving.

Chet
    Yes.
    I have had sites just sitting (for months ) beacuse I wanted perfection, man have I changed my ways over the years.
    Get something up there even if it just the design and the home page.
    Once you see your site live on the web motivation kicks in
    Oregon Publishing: Web Development, Graphic Design, Domains & Marketing
    Deluxe Banners Bartender's Guide Cooking Jobs

OOOPS just realized was an old POST, LOL GethsemeneRose's Avatar
    I am new to this but I have always believed it is easier to get forgiveness than permission. put up the site let people tell you what is wrong then make changes. What you consider "perfect" may not work for the vast majority of people who may go to your site.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread