I have a whole bunch of .ram (real audio) files and need to be able to change them to midi files, wav files and mp3 files etc. Any one know a free program or two that will do this?

If you want to play some fun music while you surf or need music for your page, go here http://sanfords.net/midis.htm

I love the first one, Bluegrass Rag. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[ 11-25-2001: Message edited by: SSanf ]

ABW Ambassador
    There is a program called Cool Edit from a company Syntrillium You can download the trial version and 'should' be able to convert them. Most features are disabled on the trial version, but you can pick one feature that you want enabled on each startup. I use the full version of CoolEdit on a daily basis and it's a great program.

Tom Pyles

Thanks!

I'm downloading it. I only have about a hundred files to convert and for so few it doesn't seem worthwhile to buy a program.

I have a bunch of Pagan Chants (campfire songs) that I want to be able to distribute.

Real Audio is OK but I want to be able to give them away on CD's to folks with no computer and be able to take them to gatherings as well.

Whoops! I don't see .ram as an option on the install.

Well, I am trying it to see.

Nope, it doesn't like .ram files. But it looks like a nifty program if I can get the .ram files converted.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Sanf, The fact that you have the in the Real Audio format already is just what you want!

I learned this trick a while ago and found it priceless for one of my sites!

In the head section of your page pet this tag:

<bgsound src="music.ram" loop="1"></p>

Change the file name to match you song.

And like magic you have instant music! What this does is actually "streams the file" That way it plays as soon as it begins to download and the user doesn't have to wait until the song is "completely downloaded" to hear it!

ps- make sure when you copy the code you paste it first onto a notepad then recopy.

[ 11-25-2001: Message edited by: breeze ]

Don't think I understand the instructions.

First of all, I want to burn Cd's and so that people with no computers play them on their CD players. And, I want the songs portable to take to gatherings on CDs So, don't I have to ultimately convert them to MP3? To do that, don't I have to convert them to .wav files so I can then convert them to MP3?

Also, if I put something on the web and use .ram, wouldn't the user be forced to get Real Audio before they could hear them?

Thanks for your input. If I ultimatly put them on the page as you suggest, What's that code again?

Maybe, I am just confused. Wouldn't be the first time. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I see we were both editing at the same time. Thank you for your interest.

I don't want to just use it as background music. I want to give people a song list they can listen to.
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Also, I know Dana Davis from Velvet Hammer who may just be willing to record some of these Pagan songs!!!!

What if....what if!!!!

The more than a million admitted Pagans in the US alone might be interested. These songs are well on their way to becomming standards among Pagans.

ABW Ambassador
    Sanf, sorry I misunderstood.

Use easy CD to burn the cds. It auto changes mp3s to cdd format.

All you have to do is download and burn.

RealPlayer, Yes, if they don't have it the music won't play. You could always use conditional comment to write the html. I think though I don't know how you would look for real audio player)

Hope that helps!

If you cant find any software to directly convert your .ram's to a format you can use to burn cd's with you might want to try Absolute MP3 Recorder, it can record any sound playing on your computer into an mp3 or wav file, which can then be used to create audio cd's, it doesnt convert, it just listens to whats playing and records it, so its much slower than a converter would be, but it does work.
    BTW If you are planning on burning 100 songs into audio cd's, even though the .ram or .mp3 files would easily fit on 1 cd, if these are average length songs it will take 5 or 6 cd's to hold them all in cd audio format.
    Anyway good luck [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Thanks!

I'll take a look at that, too. The length of the songs is very short. They are mostly chants, about the length of a chorus, so a lot should fit on a CD, hopefully. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    You can't burn them to CD in mp3 format if you want to listen to them on a normal CD player.
    They need to be burnt in CDAudio format.

I use Nero which will automatically convert MP3's to this format, but older software I used to use would only burn .wav files.

Most software will burn .wav's with no issues.
    MP3 is often an additional option for CD-burning software (ie, convert from MP3 to CDaudio on the fly as it is burning), so check out your cd software first.

A standard song in CDA format is usually about 30-40meg (cd-quality stereo format), and you can usually fit about 15-20 on each CD.

Since you have smaller tracks, you might be able to squeeze up to 40 on each CD.

Thanks, I may have to make it two cassets.

GOT IT!!!

Apparently, you aren't supposed to be able to get programs that will do this any more. Something about copyright infringements being violated. I found it on one of those naughty sites....whooo haaaa....doing happy dance!!

Now, to burn the chants to cd's...please excuse my ignorance...is it best to make them into wav files or MP3s???? I have Adaptec Easy CD creator. Well, never mind, I can call my son and ask him if he ever gets off his computer, LOL.

Sorry, this just isn't my thing. I just want the chants to be portable.
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Granny Witch went to a naughty site

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Guess what a lot of my Pagan friends are getting for Yule!!! WOW What if I can get Dana re-record them!!!! Her voice is SO excellent!

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread