data feed help
    Hi

I am new to this forum. I need a quick lesson on feeds 101 for dummies ?

I thought that the data feed would have an .xml or atom URL so I could put it in feed burner. I don't see this.
    Can some one tell me how to utilize the feed. Is it only for me or can I use it as a tool to promote the products. Are the affiliate links in th feed?

Help this dummy

Feeds come in various forms. You are thinking of an RSS feed.

Most feeds from vendors come in some sort of text file with delimiting characters between fields. It is up to you to write something to parse this data out and generate links and/or an entire website from it.

Sometime the feeds come with your affiliate link coded in there. Sometimes they come with almost coded with a value in there like YOURACCOUNTNUMBER that you have to search/replace with your individual information.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Hi

Ok, I downlaoded the feed of one merchant and it was a page full of links with a place to put my ID in the URL. Problem is I don't know what parsing a feed involves.
    Where do I go from here. Is there some sort of program I can use?

Thanks

It depends on what you want to do with the feed. Why did you get it?

People like me take feeds, write a program to turn them into websites, and then put that up on a domain. I am sure others do other things with feeds. But they are the raw data that let's the creative put up a site exactly the way they want it.

If that is what you want and you REALLY want to work with the raw feed then, my friend, you have ventured into a lovely mystical world. The first item on your list: Design in your minds eye what kind of site you want and how you want it to look. Second item and your biggest hurdle: Figure out how to turn that feed into that site. The way I do it is by using a popular programming language called PHP. So learning PHP may be in order.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Parsing
    Depending on how many line items are in the download or just to see what data the looks like, try opening it in excel.

And get familiar with the format that store is providing the feed.

-Thomas

Try the page found in my signature, it explains a lot.

Fred

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread