Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    WHY does an outright affiliate site have an account as a merchant?
    It's unbelievable - CJ links (and the others) on the product pages, clear as day. They even have a CJ merchant listed on the homepage - with a link to a specific page made for them.

Since when does an affiliate site qualify as a merchant, and qualify to recruit affiliates?

Maybe Brian or someone can explain how SaS affiliates get paid for sending them traffic.

How would tracking be done for sales that take place on the CJ and other merchant's sites as a result of visitors sent to them clicking on the AFFILIATE links on that site?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Are they paying by click? It's allowed to run an aff site as a SAS merchant if they pay by click instead of sale/lead... There would be no sale tracking in that case.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    Nope, no payment for clicks. The deal says 8% with a 30 day cookie.

In a case like this, I think it is well and appropriate for you to name the merchant.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

I noticed this site: www dot kidsfirstinternet dot org

Which is listed as a merchant, but has lots of links to another site - whether these are affiliate links or "partner" links I don't know.

I was going to sign up, but it looks like something dodgy is going on to me.

There does appear to be _some_ items that the store carries, but a quick look at the amateurish checkout complete with SSL warning was enough to scare me off.

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    Since when does an affiliate site qualify as a merchant, and qualify to recruit affiliates?

Maybe Brian or someone can explain how SaS affiliates get paid for sending them traffic.
    WHOA!!!
    and an entire links/partners page showing all the "PARTNERS" they send affiliate traffic to.. and steal from their affiliates
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=RoyalBlue]He who asks is a fool for five minutes...but he who does not ask is a fool forever.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE] :rolleyes:

ABW Ambassador
    WHOA!!!
    and an entire links/partners page showing all the "PARTNERS" they send affiliate traffic to.. and steal from their affiliates
    Yep, that's the one - with a link to a page featuring Your Kids Direct (a CJ merchant) right on the front page, yet. Links to YKD thru CJ all over that site.

There does appear to be _some_ items that the store carries, but a quick look at the amateurish checkout complete with SSL warning was enough to scare me off.
    Ya, looking again there's some items sold mixed in, so the presence of a cart mixed in a bit "qualifies" them it looks like. But just about every page I clicked on has CJ links - bedding & furniture.

Which is listed as a merchant, but has lots of links to another site - whether these are affiliate links or "partner" links I don't know.
    Normal affiliate links same as the ones we put up - merchants listed on their "affiliates" page.

Nice camouflage job there.

Internet Cowboy
    WOW!!!

Certainly Brian does not know about this or he would axe them. This is an affiliate posing as a merchant and duping affiliates.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The ultimate traffic con for the cost of 14.95 ecommerce hosting a month, with zero risk on the few drop ship items. All commission payouts covered by other network cookie sets.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    I have contacted the merchant (as what is happening here goes agains network policy) ... based on my memory, I believe a lot of these products were shifted over from their own inventory, to off-site - and they probably didn't realize the problem.

I will work with them first to see if we can figure out a way to weed out those products or otherwise change the program so as to bring it up to fair standards for an affiliate... If we are unsuccessful at that we will close the program.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

ABW Ambassador
    Well people, it looks like this "High Traffic Affiliate Website" is looking for a webmaster/SEO.

Internet Cowboy
    Yep. This idiot is now trying to recruit a top affiliate to manage his program for $700 a week!!!!!!

He is the laugh of ABW. I bet he was always picked last for sports teams in gym class in school. What a L O S E R !!!

Disappointed to hear such negativity and misinformation
    I would like to defend myself before this chatter gets out of hand. I am surprised to read language like "scum" and "idiot" here in this forum. Is that appropriate?. You don't know me or my business. Kids First Internet has transformed from being primarily a merchant site to one that is a hybrid merchant & affiliate. Yes, it is possible. This has happened in the last 4-6 weeks as we have outsouced several categories that were not cost efficient for us. We are a merchant with Monster Commerce, on a full dedicated server. (not the $14.95 plan, as someone really smart posted, you can go to www.monstercommerce.com to see the going rate, obviously not aware of MC costs) If the shopping cart is amateurish don't attack me for it, it's Monster Commerce's . I think it could stand improvement too but it's real. We have a retail relationship with 60 major juvenile manufacturers, some do not drop ship, and in that case we inventory and our catalog has nearly 5,000 different products on it. Check our Better Business Rating on our home page. We are now focusing our merchandising efforts on categories like "custom bedding" and specialty designer kids products. For many categories we are experimenting with affiliate links from two merchants to supplement categories that are now outside of our focus. Again these new initiatives were deployed recently.

Shareasale is a great program, but it accounts for less than 3% of our traffic though, our traffic comes from solid organic search. Search "kids bedding" on google or one of 50 other similar terms. I am happy to speak to Brian at Shareasale right away to work out a plan together so our affiliates are happy. We have had several sales this week from Shareasale affilates which Brian can attest to and those affiliates who are highly targeted baby or kids niche sites like Penny On the Go, have done well with us and can continue to do well with us whether we change the program to PPC or not. Again, I am happy to work something out with him.

I hope we can raise the level of discourse on this thread. I want to be proud to be a member of this community.

Internet Cowboy
    You are in the business of tricking affiliates in to sending you traffic so you can then use your affiliate links to generate money from that traffic while cheating the affiliate who sent you the traffic out of commission. This makes you highly unethical and as long as you continue to do this, you will be treated like scum here and everywhere else that affiliates congregate. We do not take kindly to being screwed and that is exactly what you are doing.
    If your affiliate program generates less than 3% of your traffic, my suggestion is that you shut it down as this is the only way that people will stop considering you a crook.

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by kfi
    We have had several sales this week from Shareasale affilates which Brian can attest to
    And how many sales have been generated by your CJ links from traffic that some unwitting affiliate sent you where you made money and the affiliate who sent you the shopper got screwed? Care to expound those numbers? You can't have it both ways. You are stealing from your affiliates by sending their traffic to your own CJ links. We all have access to CJ if we wanted to send our customers to CJ we would do it through our own links so we F'ing get paid for it! This is how we make our living and thieves like you are taking money from us.
    Quote Originally Posted by kfi
    I hope we can raise the level of discourse on this thread. I want to be proud to be a member of this community.
    Be a proud member of a community of people you are stealing from? Yeah right!

You want to be a proud member, change your merchant description in SAS to read like this:

We offer 8% commission on all sales and a 30 day period for returning customers on the few items that we sell. Mostly what we do is take your traffic that you have spent your time and money to gain and we send it through our own CJ links and keep the commissions for ourselves. We are really your competitor disguised as a merchant in order to dupe you in to sending us your hard-earned traffic. Who knows, you might even have a cookie for one of the CJ programs we use on the shopper's computer. In this case, we will not only steal your traffic, but we will also wash your cookie and take the commission that would have otherwise been yours. We are not in business to be a real affiliate program, we are playing both sides of the street and acting like the blind hog at the trough, taking every nickel we can get from shoppers and our own partners alike.
    This is a more realistic assessment of your affiliate program.

Want to be respected? Let affiliates know in no uncertain terms that you have hundreds (if not thousands) of affiliate links on your web site.

15 years and counting
    This community is not for crooks. Maybe you don't understand it but you're stealing from your affiliates.
    Brian is going to shut down your program if you don't remove these external links immediatly.

I got it, I understand. I will speak to Brian & Shareasale this week and bring it up to fair standards or drop it. It will be resolved.

Internet Cowboy
    I think a strict Cost Per Click model with no commissions is the only way you can maintain an affiliate program and be considered legit.

ABW Ambassador
    Apparently this company is not the original owner of the site (Vitafilters, LLC), the ones who first signed with SAS - not since Sept. 2005. Here's the press release

Press Release at PR Web (PDF)

ABW Ambassador
    They have changed absolutely nothing, even after a month and a half, and have even changed some of their YourKidsDirect affilliate links over to LS from CJ.

95% of their pages are affiliate pages. What happens if affiliates who don't know any better make custom links to individual pages? Like this one, their TOP 25:

http://www.kidsfirstinternet.org/top25.htm

Excuse me, but this is not posting an affiiate URL - this is MERCHANT, remember?

Webworker,

You don't know what you are talking about. We spoke to Brian at Shareasale on his advice and counsel we changed the program to a private Shareasale program. I contacted him immediately and he was on vacation. Action was taken. We emailed out a notice early last week, that we previewed for Shareasale and then sent to every one of our affiliates letting them know about the changes to the website INCLUDING adding affiliate product links to many of our product categories. We also made suggestions to link to our categories where we do fulfill directly such as custom bedding.

Your Kids Direct moved their program from CJ to Linkshare that is why they moved over. 95% of our pages are not affiliate pages, you don't know what you are talking about obviously and at the very top of our Top 25 category we say clearly:

"Our top 25 products in conjunction with our featured partner Your Kids Direct."

You seem to have a profound interest in our website. If you are an affiliate of ours I would suggest you drop us, and anyone else on the Shareasale network who have worked with us in the past have been notified.

I await your next complaint.

ABW Ambassador
    http://www.kidsfirstinternet.org/index.asp

I just started clicking under Most Popular Categories
    There are 14 categories, 10 are all affiliate links, 4 are you

Now why would an affiliate send you traffic when they can just send it the merchants you're sending them too:
    http://www.kidsfirstinternet.org/affiliate_partners.htm

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    In order to be fair to affiliates browsing through ShareASale for merchants, as well as to those current affiliates of KFI - we advised that the program be taken off of the main ShareASale site, and operated as a private program (by invitation).
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

ABW Ambassador
    You don't know what you are talking about.
    You must be right. Some of us are just too stupid to be able to read minds about things that haven't been announced or responded to.

I await your next complaint.
    Actually, it's from one of your affiliates who apparently hasn't been told that he needs to go to LS to get the YKD feed for product links with photos that work.

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=73170

Or maybe he can't read minds either; not everyone is born with telepathic abilities.

Hmmm, now I think you people were nice to me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast