ABW Ambassador
    something is wrong here
    something is wrong here.

i get this email that my site is popping up on somebody's screen, or that my site is sending spam. of course the sender is annoyed. i can understand that because i would too - because i hate pop-ups and spams myself. and for that reason i don't use them. and not only don't i send spam, i don't even have an email sign-up at my sites, and i don't use email marketing whatsoever. i have an email address at my site in case somebody offers a suggestion, which i rarely respond to.

the only marketing i used, aside of course from organic search, is overture. can this be the culprit? or is somebody spoofing my site?

ABW Ambassador
    Hard to tell, I know Gator/Claria are involved with Overture. Old article on it:

http://news.com.com/Overture+signs+d..._3-995616.html

Don't know if that's the problem or something else.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Doesn't Overture syndicate to 180Solution's Searchscout BHO? Do you offer an affiliate program where a rogue affiliate can pay for ride on BHO popups for setting your referral cookies?
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    Searchscout is Gator/Claria not 180.

ABW Ambassador
    You're right, Trust. That three year deal starting at least in April 2003 should still be around by this time. I'll have to stop my overture campaigns. It's a lose lose situation for me and my sites. Many Thanks!

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    Do you offer an affiliate program where a rogue affiliate can pay for ride on BHO popups for setting your referral cookies?
    Nope. I'm a pure play affiliate. i don't run an affiliate program for my sites.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    You mean to tell me that if you use Overture PPC, your site PPC ad can pop up on someone's site via adware?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador
    maybe, or maybe not. but i can't take any chances. i have a branding to protect.

i got only one email, but it's one email too many. i value my current and future visitors' perception.

Quote Originally Posted by waytogo
    I'll have to stop my overture campaigns. It's a lose lose situation for me and my sites.
    I never got results from overture. I just hemorrhaged money and got nothing back.
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=RoyalBlue]He who asks is a fool for five minutes...but he who does not ask is a fool forever.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE] :rolleyes:

ABW Ambassador
    i noticed something odd however about the email i received. it is complaining about both pop-ups and email spam.

i mean, if they're annoyed about pop-ups then they should complain about pop-ups, if they're annoyed about email spam then they complain about email spam. but both??!! what's the probability of getting both pop-ups and email spam at around the same time from the same company?

I think it is possible that the email itself may have been a ruse for whatever purpose they only know. it may have come from the hackers/spammers themselves trying to check if the email address is valid and working (should i respond) or some hackers trying to hack into my email system.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread