My Biggest Gripe: Links Don't Work Immediately
    My biggest gripe with Performics is that links don't work immediately. You have to activate them, and then it's some period of time (5 minutes? 15 minutes?) before they're functional.

I'm not going to put links up on my site that don't work, even if it's just a short period of time.

This makes putting Performics links up a two-step process. I have to choose which links I'm going to use. Then, later, I have to remember what I was going to do and which links I was going to use and actually put them up. This seldom happens. I probably only put up a third of the links that I intend to because of this.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    My biggest gripe with Performics is that links don't work immediately. You have to activate them, and then it's some period of time (5 minutes? 15 minutes?) before they're functional.

I'm not going to put links up on my site that don't work, even if it's just a short period of time.

This makes putting Performics links up a two-step process. I have to choose which links I'm going to use. Then, later, I have to remember what I was going to do and which links I was going to use and actually put them up. This seldom happens. I probably only put up a third of the links that I intend to because of this.
    I feel the same way, so I build the links and then dont 'activate' the page for a few minutes. It's a pain!

Same thing with linkshare sometimes.. but griping about linkshare is a fulltime job, at least performics tracks (from what i can tell) and pays.
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=RoyalBlue]He who asks is a fool for five minutes...but he who does not ask is a fool forever.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE] :rolleyes:

LinkShare's are annoying, but nowhere near as bad. Text, Banner, Product, and Datafeed links all work fine. It's only their Advanced links (where you specify the page to link to) that take a while to work. At least they go to the home page until they become active.

With Performics, it's ALL of their links. And it doesn't default to the home page. You just get a 404 Page Not Found.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

And it gets worse...

I just tried the links I activated yesterday for a couple Performics promotions, and they still don't work.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

ABW Ambassador
    What do you mean you have to activate them? I've always just put them up and they work. Sometimes it takes a few minutes kind of like LS.

I guess an hour for product links from LS:

Your newly created links will direct users to the merchant site immediately. Note that newly generated individual product links may take about 1 hour to be active.

That was brought up in Issue 4 of Revenue in the "What Clicks at Performics" article (I believe Issue 10 is coming out now). Apparently it never was looked in to.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

ABW Ambassador
    Is it with specific merchants or specific links? I use lots of Performics merchants, just text links and banners. I just copy and paste the code onto my pages and don't remember seeing any of these problems. Every now and then I see a banner that i just put up with a red x and it takes a few minutes sometimes, but then it works. Only thing I've ever run into.

If you get links through the affiliate interface, you have to "Activate" them. They won't work for a period of time after that.

I figured out what the problem was. I clicked through the link in a merchant newsletter to get the links (which apparently builds and activates the link). It didn't work when I got it. So, I clicked through again today. I got the link again, and it still didn't work. I clicked through a third time, and the link still didn't work.

But now that I go to the affiliate interface, I see that I have three copies of the exact same link and they all work now.

Talk about a lame interface...
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

ABW Ambassador
    I agree, the interface needs work. But when you get links in Performics you're making it sound like you have to take an extra step. I just logged in, check off the links I want for a merchant and hit Generate and Add to My Active Links. Then you just copy and paste. Never did it thru the newsletter so that might be another issue.

But have you ever tried the links after you click "Generate and Add to My Active Links"? They don't work for a period of time after you generate them. So it's always a two-step process (unless you don't mind broken links on your site). You have to generate the links, wait, then put them up.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, I've never had a problem. Like I said in the previous post, every now and then I had problems with some banners with a red x after i put them up but usually that didn't last long. How many merchants are you seeing this with and were they links from the newsletter?

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    I agree with Michael. I'll make links and they won't work for a period of time. No clue how long because I take them down and give up at that point. Maybe I'll go back if I remember. It's stupid.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

sometimes the red x lasts forever! then i have to rebuild the link altogether
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=RoyalBlue]He who asks is a fool for five minutes...but he who does not ask is a fool forever.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE] :rolleyes:

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, creating links with Performics is a pain for this very reason. I don't like to have inactive links on my sites either. But it could be worse...you could work with Quinstreet where you can't grab any links yourself (you have to ask your affiliate rep) and even then they aren't activated until their compliance department has reviewed your website. And sometimes, they forget to activate them even then.

Oh, what fun and joy.

My links always work within a couple mins. of putting them up, & I don't worry about it. However links that merchants e-mail me often never work right.

My advice would be to copy the link into your brower's address bar and keep hitting enter/go until the link takes you to the destination page. That strategy has always worked for me.

With Performics, there seems to be some sort of queue when creating links, as there is no specific PID/AID information as there is with Commission Junction.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread