Merchants who do not allow cloaking?
    Is this reasonable? Can a merchant prevent an affilaite from cloaking the links, or does that scream...?

"Use of unethical means of driving traffic such as hidden frames, cloaking, hidden links and site redirection are strictly prohibited. Diamonds-USA reserves the right to remove any web sites implementing these methods from our affiliate program and withhold payments to such affiliates"

My guess is that they are specifically interested in piracy if they prohibit cloaking.. wanna weigh in on that?
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=RoyalBlue]He who asks is a fool for five minutes...but he who does not ask is a fool forever.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE] :rolleyes:

I find that rule to be a bit extreme. Can they demand this? Yes, it's their program. The "play my way, or don't play at all" tactic on using "legitimate redirect scripts" is disturbing.
    Hmmmmm .... I'd say "don't play then".
    Ray Thomas
    Webmaster Resources: http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board Category: Programming / Coding
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

I think they're talking about a different type of cloaking.

You're thinking of cloaking/redirecting links for your own tracking.

I'm fairly sure they're talking about cloaking pages so the search engines see one thing (typically keyword-stuffed pages) and real visitors see something entirely different.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    To me, it's beyond reasonable, to the good side. It's a sign that they just might tuned in to the trickster affiliates and want no part of it. If I had related traffic, I'd be signing up with them to see how it converts.

And "cloaking" can mean different things to different people, from javascript rollovers for informational purposes to wicked meta refresh redirection through secondary and tertiary domains that strip or fake host headers along the way. Claoking can also refer to links or entire webpages as well. You specifically asked about cloaking in your thread title - sounds like you'd need a clarification from the merchant depending on what you're planning on doing.

Quote Originally Posted by DesignerWiz
    I'd say "don't play then".
    My thoughts exactly!
    I dont need to be hit over the head
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=RoyalBlue]He who asks is a fool for five minutes...but he who does not ask is a fool forever.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE] :rolleyes:

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    To me, it's beyond reasonable, to the good side. It's a sign that they just might tuned in to the trickster affiliates and want no part of it. If I had related traffic, I'd be signing up with them to see how it converts.

And "cloaking" can mean different things to different people, from javascript rollovers for informational purposes to wicked meta refresh redirection through secondary and tertiary domains that strip or fake host headers along the way. Claoking can also refer to links or entire webpages as well. You specifically asked about cloaking in your thread title - sounds like you'd need a clarification from the merchant depending on what you're planning on doing.
    Here is what they mean:
    "The URL you should be using to link to our Web Site
    is as follows:
    http://www.diamonds-usa.com/index.asp?refid=XXX"

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    "should"... if I had related traffic, I'd be emailing them and asking for specifics and sharing exactly what I planned to do. If they got anal and refused cuz they're can't separate ethical from not cuz they're techno challenged, I'd split. But it's possible they're being completely reasonable here and in fact, intending to protect their affiliates from poaching types.

Quote Originally Posted by DesignerWiz
    I find that rule to be a bit extreme. Can they demand this? Yes, it's their program. The "play my way, or don't play at all" tactic on using "legitimate redirect scripts" is disturbing.
    Hmmmmm .... I'd say "don't play then".
    Just leave it to the lawyers and the radio web shows.

I agree with Michael. I think they're talking about a different kind of cloaking. You should have no problem linking to them with redirects. All of the big shopping sites do this and there's nothing underhanded about it.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

ABW Ambassador
    unethical means of driving traffic such as hidden frames, cloaking, hidden links and site redirection
    Taken in context, that doesn't mean cloaking links in the usual "affiliate" sense, which has nothing to do with search engine rankings or traffic.

They're talking about methods of what's generally considered to be spamming the search engines. In that context, cloaking means delivering different content to human visitors and search engine bots, either through user agent delivery (not good) or IP delivery (the usual, far safer way, which is how the "professionals" do it), which detects the IP numbers of "visitors" and delivers a page depending on what's detected.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread