Outsourced Program Manager Rick - Bitcom's Avatar
    What is domain parking?
    ...and why would someone want to do it?

If you buy a domain but don't have hosting to point it to yet, most domain registrars allow it to be "parked at" (pointed at) their nameservers until the time comes the owner wants to point it to their hosting provider/server. Registrars typically run ads under it while it's parked.

Alternatively, some places such as sedo.com allow you to park your domain with them and they show ads and pay you small percentages of the click revenue.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

Thank you mobilebadboy.

But why would someone who had a site already up decide to park it?
    Is it like time out?

They could've decided not to run the site anymore and pointed it back to their registrar. I've done that with some of my domains. Or it could have expired and one of these squatter companies snapped it up so they can run their ads under it and not allow anyone else to make use of the domain (but that's a different rant).

Thanks again for your help.

ABW Ambassador
    Also, sometimes you would park your newly registered domains till you are not ready to add content/pages to it.
    The Best Forums
    Nothing in the world can take the place of persistance
    . Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistance and determination are omnipotent.
    Abestweb Store

i recomend you this site. it has a veri impresive collection of definitions

thanks
    Last edited by Greg Rice; June 2nd, 2006 at 09:17 AM. Reason: 3 Posts and all are about linking to his site

Thanks hotcomputers. That is a nice site and great definitions.

Domain buying / parking / selling is a million dollar business. Generally you would just buy a domain, and let it sit till you have some contents / pages to upload. Or you would park with one of the parking compaines which will serve ads and split ad revenue with you.

Now let say I register domains called GigGolf, GgaGolf, and variations thereof and 'park' it. Some people trying to get to your site Gigagolf will mistype these names and land up on my sites. Now the parking company would be serving ads, banners, text links on all kinds of Golf products - a kind of mini portal of everything Golf. Chances are that the user would click a link, banner, even to get to your site. This is where the PPC revenue gets generated.

I am not sure if they have affilate links on the parked domain so that even sales etc are included.

Another technique is to buy domains related to a subject. I recently saw someone selling off twenty domain related to Hillary Clinton - like HillaryClintonSenator.

Qualifications - Your parked site should be generating minimum hits before even being considered by the big parking compaines. Google specifies more than 750,000 page views per month for it to be included for ad serving.

Check out the article

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...042900279.html
    Last edited by Xion; June 2nd, 2006 at 12:14 PM. Reason: spelling error

Ya Xion. Thanks a bunch. That's the kind of thing I was looking for. Some or our older affiliates seem to have done that, and I was wondering why.

OOOPS just realized was an old POST, LOL GethsemeneRose's Avatar
    I was going through a Topsites list to see what others in my niche were doing right (to get to the top) and doing wrong (and being at the bottom) 80% of those at the bottom seemed to be expired and someone had "parked the domain" with a multitude of ads for whatever the site used to do. (although a few were VERY off topic) of course they were now at the bottom because the code for the topsite was now gone and instead it had these ads all over it. It seemed VERY inneffective but I suppose if you have 1000's of them and they all only cost pennies to by and you made 10cents a day off each one it could add up. Not my cuppa tea I am too hands on.
    :gnome: [URL]www.gethsemenerose.com[/URL] :gnome: As for me and my SITE we shall serve the LORD!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The larger parked & expired domain wanks polute the SERPs and PPCSE's with millions of domains. This is the single largest complaint fielded by the Google Adwords police. they host and fuel these clap traps ruining any credability they have with advertisers and searchers.

Hopefully Google -YPN -MSN will bann any domain name with a click spam template feed and force these wanks into the 3rd world PPCSE sewer.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Another problem with domain parking, is once a dom's known to the SEs as parked, it can be almost impossible to get it to rank. I've made the mistake of buying doms that had been parked (by someone else) at some point in their past...you'd be better off just buying a lead anvil to throw into the SERPs!

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Another problem with domain parking, is once a dom's known to the SEs as parked, it can be almost impossible to get it to rank. I've made the mistake of buying doms that had been parked (by someone else) at some point in their past...you'd be better off just buying a lead anvil to throw into the SERPs!
    Interesting. That's the first time I've heard about that. Learn something new everyday...
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

So. I dont understand. Should I or shouldnt park my domain? Will it later, when I add content be harder to get SE ranking ?
    Im Just a PartyBoy whos trying to stop or maybe not :super:

ABW Ambassador
    Ouch, I've got some domains parked at the registrar who's got ads running on them but the domain owners are not in on that deal. If it'll wreck them for indexing I'd better move them to parking on one of my own multi-domain hosting accounts.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Looking at the Wayback Machine now, I see that I've had it since 2002. Time flies!! So, my experience with that particular domain may well be out of date. I have noticed something disturbing more recently, though, which I mention later in this post.

I don't know for sure if the parking is all that had been wrong with what the previous owners had done to the domain. The Wayback Machine showed that the last one had been some domain-park place, though, and I would have thought that the owners prior to whoever parked it would have been long enough ago to not have affected it.

That dom about took about 6 months to get PR'd, but it never did rank visibly, so I quit bothering with it and let it rot.

But recently (last year), I've noticed that (unrelated) parked domains become PR0'd real fast! There was one--not mine--that I was watching, that had been active and had PR4 (I know that's not great, but still, it was ranked and in the SERPs)...it went to parked, and the PR was gone within the week. I don't know if the next owner to that domain had trouble getting ranked or not, since after it went to parked I quit watching it.

On another note, I've had a dom (with no known past history--Wayback check came up blank) sitting on my server for a year or two with no site. It'll be interesting to see what happens when I fire it up.

Outsourced Program Manager Nick Prussakov's Avatar
    I'd appreciate an answer to the following:

A website has been very badly done and SEO-ed (including the wrong information in DMOZ). The result seems to be a ban by Google, as there are no links to it whatsoever. Other SEs are fine with it. Now the website is put right. The question is should one wait for 6 months to see if Google relents or is it better to register a new domain? If the latter is better (and this is relevant to this thread), would you buy a domain that has been parked before?

If you had rank on your domain you may want to wait it out, but it could take longer than six months to be reinstated, and you must keep updating the site to keep it fresh. I would make my decision based on how much rank/traffic you got from google before the ban, and how many links to the site do you already have and the quality of the links.

Thanks for your answer, jollygoodpirate! The thing is that the situation prior to the ban hasn't been that great, so I'm thinking now of just going for a reinclusion request and see what happens. After all, all the things were put right... I hope.

You need to "revive" the site with a fresh look and contents, and then state your case to Google. I've seen many of people have a domain unbanned once they proved they were a new owner and the site is no longer related to what got it banned in the first place.

Yeah, it has been completely redeveloped with all the wrong stuff removed. But I'm still thinking about that parked domain because it's just a "name.com" and the domain currently used for the website is that name plus another one... Guess there's not much risk in the latter option due the current domain being banned, or is there?

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread