ABW Ambassador
    Merchants who explain & help affiliates with reversals
    I was reading this thread and this post by Neil caught my attention.
    Good thing, Neil

How many merchants are like Neil who really go the extra step and help affiliates with the sales reversals and be upfront about the reasons?

It sure is good for merchants and affiliate managers, if they can provide their affiliates the reasons for the reversals. Yes, it is extra work on their part but it would help them earn trust and respect from their affiliates and in the long-run would benefit them only.

However, what is the general view of affiliates? Do merchants help affiliates with reversals? Do they explain the reasons properly?
    The Best Forums
    Nothing in the world can take the place of persistance
    . Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistance and determination are omnipotent.
    Abestweb Store

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Most are totally mute on whacking affiliate accounts like CompUSA for several $1000.00+ sales. The reason "other" most often means something was exchanged or an upsell was involved creating a 100% total profit picture. The outsourced and internal post sales service departments often get to pocket the commissions saved.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    "Do they explain the reasons properly?"

Most don't. There is one that I get the rare reversal with and they send me a personal email explaining it. One of my favorite merchants and they get more promotion because of that and other reasons. Reversals are going to happen and I like something better than "other"

Affiliate Manager
    After reading this post, I would like to ask a question. I try and e-mail the affiliate to let them know why I reversed it. Most of the time I select the reason as "other" and my explination is the last ad that the customer click was one of our PPC Google ads. Is this a good explination or should I add something else. Basically meaning the last cookie on our website gets the credit for the sale.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    There is one that I get the rare reversal with and they send me a personal email explaining it. One of my favorite merchants and they get more promotion because of that and other reasons. Reversals are going to happen and I like something better than "other"
    Exactly my point, Trustno1. They are already your favorite merchants and by explaining the reversals to you by personal emails, they get more promotion as you say. Win-win situation for both, I would say

Also, I think, the time would come - probably in a year or so - when the merchants who explain the reversals to their affiliates would become more popular with the affiliates and those who start doing it now, would have an extra edge
    The Best Forums
    . Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistance and determination are omnipotent.
    Abestweb Store

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by rcalentine
    After reading this post, I would like to ask a question. I try and e-mail the affiliate to let them know why I reversed it. Most of the time I select the reason as "other" and my explination is the last ad that the customer click was one of our PPC Google ads. Is this a good explination or should I add something else. Basically meaning the last cookie on our website gets the credit for the sale.
    Richard, It is good to know that you are interested in providing the reversal reasons to the affiliates. I think you can do it in a manner which is easier for you.

1.You can prepare a list of possible reasons why a reversal would happen with your program.
    2. You can save those reasons as Reason1, Reason2 etc. in notepad, outlook or whichever email program you use.
    3. Whenever you see a reversal, you can promptly send an email to the affiliate which gives the reason of the reversal.

Also, I think the more details you can provide the affiliate without the reason being "other" should be good for everyone
    The Best Forums
    Abestweb Store

Rcalentine,

That sounds very lame to me. If cookies are working correctly, there would never be a reason to reverse under the circumstances you present because there would only be one cookie at the point of sale. If my cookie is the one at point of sale, there would be no excuse to reverse unless the sale was cancelled or returned. If a shopper clicks on my site and leaves and then clicks on your ppc ad, that would be the only cookie set as a new cookie is set when the shopper clicks through a new source. I strongly feel that many of the excuses some merchants give for reversals are illigitimate. Correct me if I am wrong, but don't give me some line that has no base in logic.

Gene
    TCS

and my explination is the last ad that the customer click was one of our PPC Google ads
    That appears to be very shaky ground you are standing on there.

So what if a customer last clicked on one of your ppc ads? The fact that the cookie is there at all indicates that the affiliate successfully influenced the sale in the first place. To what degree, it's impossible to tell.

If merchants start making up their own rules for reversals, I can see some affiliates getting mightily annoyed (and rightly so).

and my explination is the last ad that the customer click was one of our PPC Google ads
    Why wouldn't that action overwrite the affiliate cookie?

I don't buy that explaination, at all.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Quote Originally Posted by SSanf
    Why wouldn't that action overwrite the affiliate cookie?

I don't buy that explaination, at all.
    The cookie that is used to track the affiliate sale belongs to the Network. Unless a merchant is tracking PPC sales through their affiliate network (a very expensive option) then the cookie will not be overwritten.

The only workaround for this would be dynamically remove the network transaction tracking code from the reciept page if the last click was deemed to come from a ppc campaign.
    Reha Kocatas - MagazineAgent.com
    Programs available on Commission Junction and ShareASale.com
    Highest Commissions on Magazine Subscriptions Visit the Magazine-Agent Affiliate Forum

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread