lurk
    Live.com
    What are you thoughts on the new microsoft search engine live.com?

Personally I think it's more annoying than anything. The scroll bar on the search results page loads faster than the ads on the right in some cases. When you start clicking down a few times in a row, the ads load and pop in place where you were originally clicking, causing a false click... costing advertisers more money.
    Jason

ABW Ambassador
    I find it annoying too. I know it's in beta but I don't know who they were listening too to have what they have now. But they might have stuff Google can take and make better.

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    I played with it for a few minutes.

I agree the scroll bar is a P.I.T.A. and the layout is horrid.

Results were ok, but unless its usefullness changes, I won't be using it much.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    It put my site on the top for one search phrase I check.

Therefore, it is a very good search engine!
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

live.com has a shit load of market research. You guys may not like but I seen the research can't say more because of Stupid NDAs but MS went after the average user who is their target and they love it.

It is slow and unresponsive. The interface needs a facelift - and the scroll bar is absolutely unusable. Though it is still in Beta, Microsoft usually takes a few rounds to get it right. Till then...

Thats because live.com is a start page with loads of content. Login with passport and customize it. Remove or add what you do and don't want.

ABW Ambassador
    "but MS went after the average user who is their target and they love it."

Well it's not like we don't use search engines to search. What I do for a living is online but I'm also a regular user of search engines. And from reading around the response hasn't been that good. I'm wondering if they used the same group that thought SynergyAnalytics was good. Time will tell, see if they make any improvements. Some interesting stuff but Google has a knack of taking stuff and making it usable.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Every one of my clients panel the live.com SERPs with meaningful results for all their top buying keywords. So whats the fuss.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead

I'll have to agree based on that alone! Otherwise it's too much fluff...

I searched for a keyword phrase I was targeting for my newest site (a few weeks young) and it was first, second, and third and I had half a dozen of my other sites that link to it w/in the top ten results... Plus I was in the top 5 of the main keyword I was going after... hehe - I just checked another site and it's got 4 out of the top 5 spots... So, yes, it is a very good search engine
    Hi, I'm a signature.

I couldn't get it to load in FireFox. I played with it a little bit in IE and came up 1 and 2 for my favorite keyterms so that was nice. The scrolling doesn't bother me as much as some. At least it keeps count for me as to which search results I am at. I actually prefer it to going from page to page.

What do they think their "benefits" are to using this above google, or even above MSN?

Sheri

ABW Ambassador
    It worked fine in Firefox for me...
    Hi, I'm a signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead

I'm almost at the top for several of my keywords! I'm completely buried at Google and Yahoo! I think this is a very good search engine too!

Wow is this web 3.0 if so I love it! Most of my sites are listed #1 right above the wiki's, which using my crappy content as a base filter I can see some of their algo already. There is no way this should of been taken live yet even in beta.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    "but MS went after the average user who is their target and they love it."

Well it's not like we don't use search engines to search. What I do for a living is online but I'm also a regular user of search engines. And from reading around the response hasn't been that good. I'm wondering if they used the same group that thought SynergyAnalytics was good. Time will tell, see if they make any improvements. Some interesting stuff but Google has a knack of taking stuff and making it usable.
    If you want to use their search engine but not their portal. Then use their search engine http://search.live.com

ABW Ambassador
    wow, that took forever and a day to load... probably a fluke, but it's hard to compete w/ Google when it's that slow.
    Hi, I'm a signature.

ABW Ambassador
    okay, I'm a little slow today, but the results are the same as MSN search, right? ...will this replace MSN's portal & search?
    Hi, I'm a signature.

I checked it out earlier today, but it won't load now. They must be tweaking. My opinion was more positive than most bearing in mind that it's beta. My sites seem to do well there also.

I'm wondering at the "Windows Live" on there. Does that foretell a tight integration with their new coming OS? Trying some lame attempt to hook Windows users in some kind of convenient way that could try for a slice of the pie.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    I'm wondering if they used the same group that thought SynergyAnalytics was good.
    Bahahaa!!! Funniest technical crack I've read this month!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Sure hope Microsoft isn't integrating the SE app with Web2.0 AJAX. That bugger is so full of malicious java runtime code exploits it threatens to bring Myspace.com down.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

As you scroll up and down, ads eventually appear and the slider moves to the left... leaving you hovering over ad #2... where you were previously clicking... prediction: high CTR for spot #2 with accompanying low conversions and low duration of visit (like a second or two... oops, I clicked on that ad...)

Underlining of links helps my eye separate listings, but here they're plain text with underline as a hover setting... I think links need to be underlined without hovering so my eye can "box" things as being separated...

Wide separation of ads and serps is going to cost them. A distinction can be clear, without being wide.

Internet Cowboy
    I hate the scroll, but this site treats me well in the SERPS, so I love them

Local results are always so dissapointing, not just here, but everywhere I search.

Great maps, cool buttons and features, but results make me leave.

If I were a search engine, I'd focus a lot of resources on populating the local results with free serps listings for a while and then later, as use grew, demand for ads would as well, and I'd watch my wallet explode.

Everyone's predicting local search will be SO huge, well I'd call my focused work "operation jump start" and invest now to get people using it.

If you search for something specific, it has a tough time correlating local results.

If I search for "oriental rugs", I find stores. If I search for "large tabriz area rug", I get nothing.

If I search for "pizza" or "pizza delivery" I got oodles of good results. If I search for "meat lovers pizza", I get zilch.

So for now, my memory is still "smarter" (more knowing) than the local search engine results here. And that should not be the case.

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread