Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Arrow Google to Pay $90M in 'Click Fraud' Case
    SAN FRANCISCO - Google Inc. has agreed to pay up to $90 million to settle a lawsuit alleging the online search engine leader overcharged thousands of advertisers who paid for bogus sales referrals generated through a ruse known as "click fraud."

The proposed settlement, announced by the company Wednesday, would apply to all advertisers in Google's network during the past four years. Any Web site showing improper charges dating back to 2002 will be eligible for an account credit that could be used toward future ads distributed by Google.

The total value of the credits available to advertisers will be lower than $90 million because part of that amount will be used to cover the fees of lawyers who filed the case last year in Arkansas state court. The proposed settlement still requires final court approval.

The lawsuit, filed by Lane's Gifts and Collectibles on behalf of all Google advertisers, revolves around one of the most sensitive subjects facing Google and Yahoo Inc. (Nasdaq:YHOO - news), which runs the Internet's second largest marketing network.

Yahoo, which is also named in the suit, said Wednesday that it intends to fight the lawsuit's allegations.

Mountain View, Calif.-based Google makes virtually all of its money from text-based advertising links that trigger commissions each time they are clicked on. Besides enriching Google, the system has been a boon for advertisers, whose sales have been boosted by an increased traffic from prospective buyers.

But sometimes mischief makers and scam artists repeatedly click on specific advertising links even though they have no intentions of buying anything. The motives for the malicious activity known as click fraud vary widely, but the net effect is the same: advertisers end up paying for fruitless Web traffic.

The lawsuit alleged Google had conspired with its advertising partners to conceal the magnitude of click fraud to avoid making refunds.

The frequency of click fraud hasn't been quantified, causing some stock market analysts to worry Google's profits will falter if it turns out to be a huge problem.

Google executives have repeatedly said the level of click fraud on its ad network is minuscule — a contention that the proposed settlement amount seems to support.

The $90 million translates into less than 1 percent of Google's $11.2 billion in revenue during the past four years.

Google disclosed the settlement after the stock market closed. The company's shares fell $10.57 to close at $353.88 on the Nasdaq Stock Market, then shed another $2.11 in extended trading.

Article Here
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

I hope google learns from this and get rid of the scraper sites.

ABW Ambassador

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quick! Everyone buy Goog stock since it's just dropped. It'll be sure to go up again soon. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Click Settlement
    As a follow-up to the Lane's Gifts and Collectibles vs. Google class action law suit I have received the following email from http://www.clicksettlement.com/ :

<quote>This court-ordered notice may affect your legal rights. Please read it carefully. If you purchased online advertising from Google between January 1, 2002 and the present, you are a class member in a class-action lawsuit in the Circuit Court of Miller County, Arkansas. This notice is to inform you of the Court's certification of a class; the nature of the claims alleged; your right to participate in, or exclude yourself from, the class; a proposed settlement; and how you can claim an award of advertising credits under the settlement. Please read the attached notice.

You can get more information at: www.clicksettlement.com.</quote>

On the website mentioned above it states that you have to file a claim between June 19, 2006 and August 4, 2006 in order to be part of this law suit.

I have no idea if this is legit or not, if it is it may be useful for some ppl who do a lot of ppc.

Did anybody else get this? Is this for real?

Cheers, Frank
    [URL=http://www.golfbeginnerguide.com/]Golf Beginner Guide[/URL] ; [URL=http://www.ladygolfersguide.com/]Lady Golfers Guide[/URL]

Internet Cowboy
    I got an email from my Google rep about this last week telling me that I would get this letter.
    Dear xxxxxxxxxxxx,

As you may have heard recently in the media, Google has settled a
    class-action lawsuit regarding invalid clicks. Over the next few days,
    you can expect to receive formal notice of this settlement, which will
    provide additional details and explain how you can participate in the
    settlement. Please note that under the settlement, you will be able to
    claim advertising credits that can be applied toward future advertising
    with Google.

The official notice will be emailed to the contact email address that is
    currently on file with your account(s). In an effort to ensure you are
    aware of the settlement, you will receive a notification at the email
    address associated with each of your AdWords accounts. Please watch for
    the notice(s), and as always, if you have any questions, please don't
    hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards,
    xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    The clicksettlement.com web site says if you do nothing, you will be eligible to get credits from Google. You must exclude yourself if you plan on suing on your own. Or you can file an objection. It is all in the pdf link on the site.

Spam?
    I received something similar about this. I thought it was spam (still do) so I just deleted it. Never went to the site. It had a pdf file attached that I still haven't opened. It came from this email address: clicksettlement@xmr3.com.

This court-ordered notice may affect your legal rights. Please read it carefully. If you purchased online advertising from Google between January 1, 2002 and the present, you are a class member in a class-action lawsuit in the Circuit Court of Miller County, Arkansas. This notice is to inform you of the Court’s certification of a class; the nature of the claims alleged; your right to participate in, or exclude yourself from, the class; a proposed settlement; and how you can claim an award of advertising credits under the settlement. Please read the attached notice.

You can get more information at: www.clicksettlement.com but the true link was
    http://pull.xmr3.com/p/8273-FFFF/701...ement.com.html

Don't like much a "html" after the .com . Didn't visit it either.

Catwoman

Received the same letter and being leery of any attachments or links in emails that don't match the domain when hovered over, I didn't read the attachment.

Now that I see others got the same thing - I probably will.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I got the one with the attachment. I, too, am leery of attachments, so I didn't open it.

I'll just get the PDF from the official site...the attachment may be legit, but it could also be an innovative virus-spreader at work.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

i wonder what this is going to do to current bids?...all these people getting all this "free" credit....not like they will look at the credit given as face value cash like they would otherwise...in other words where someone was paying something akin to 1.00 a click they might go up to 2.00 in lieu of the "refund" monies in their account.

Still, can only be good news for adsense members....90,000,000 reasons why.

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    I too received the letter at each of my email address that are associated with google adwords, so I suspect it is the real deal.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

I got the same letter. I have an email account that I only use for Adwords so I suspected it was real. Nice to hear that others received the same.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

ABW Ambassador
    Lightbulb Kinney vs. Lane
    What would you think if you woke up one day and learned that others would be getting proportionally TEN TIMES MORE than is being offered to you now?

http://www.adotas.com/2006/05/click-...-online-giant/

The letter was in the span folder of my Google email account. Naturally many people would avoid opening it, unless that is the objective. It should have been sent directly from a Google address with the pdf / settlement listed withing Google's site.

The $90 million translates into less than 1 percent of Google's $11.2 billion in revenue during the past four years.
    Does that mean we only get 1% back ??
    Find us at shareasale.com 12% commission
    Shareasale Merchant 7191
    PLAZAN SKIN CARE As seen on TV . Used by Jennifer Lopez

Quote Originally Posted by ~Michelle
    ...The total value of the credits available to advertisers will be lower than $90 million because part of that amount will be used to cover the fees of lawyers who filed the case last year in Arkansas state court...
    Well, that may leave enough left over for the advertisers to buy a senior coffee at McDonalds.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

ABW Ambassador
    >>>Does that mean we only get 1% back ??

The point of that article is that is LESS THAN 1 cent on the dollar!

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread