Internet Cowboy
    Brian, How can this be?
    Regarding MudJug.com

They pay 20% commission

Average sale is $33.45 for both 7 day and 30 day average

Average commission is $1.70 for 7 day and 30 day average

Also, is SAS tracking set up on SnuffCaddy? They have a 350 wide banner for this site on their products page.

I saw them as a featured merchant on SAS and was just curious about these things.

Thanks

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    UncleScooter, the program is pretty new which means the numbers are often the same until data starts populating through the account...

I don't know on SnuffCaddy...my guess would be "No", but that would be a question for the merchant to answer...

If they do own SnuffCaddy we could link programs (assuming they had a program for SnuffCaddy) but I don't know if they own it or it is an advertiser, etc...
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

15 years and counting
    I think it's a reciprocal "link", big leak anyway

Earn 20% Per Sale! New or not 20% of $33.45 is $6.69 not $1.70

They have a huge Toll Free number on every page.

And I'm sure, this merchant wonders why so few affiliates are signing in.

I laughed and laughed when they mentioned their target market included NASCAR fans and Pick up owners. I'm sure they've done their research, and I'm sure there is a market for this product, but that's just too darned funny.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    They have a huge Toll Free number on every page.
    Not to worry Zeus, they don't answer it.
    This merchant smells like a drop-shipping middleman to me. Not sure what they paid to be the spotlighted merchant, but I bet it is wasted money.

Noth,
    If you drive a car, you are not able to buy their spitoons. Only truck drivers

Yup. NASCAR = 106,000 pickups showing up to watch 40 cars.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Man..this is a rough crowd. Let me attemp to defend myself. First of all, I am new to this whole "affiliate" stuff and am learning as I go along so bear with me. Regarding the phone number, we provide that because some of our customers either can't figure out the checkout thing cause they don't make many online purchases or don't like to put their credit card online. I would say we only take about 5% of our orders over the phone. Our distributors and retailers primarily use that number. As far as SnuffCaddy.com, Zeus is right, its a reciprocal link. We are helping each other out given we draw from the same target market. I don't believe SnuffCaddy is participating in any program. I'm open to removing the (800) number, just not sure if the affilate response would be good enough to justify. Don't most websites have phone numbers? How do I get around this. I am open to suggestions. Like I said, I'm a newbie to the affiliate programs and don't have many people helping me in the right direction. As far as the NasCar comment, it's a large part of our target market. What can I say, they like to watch cars go around in a circle with a fat dip in their mouth. I don't care much for car racing (never been to an event) but if they want to buy my product I aint gonna complain.

You don't have to remove the toll free number. Talk to Brian about using the SSAID feature and post a promotion code # (which is really your SAS affiliate ID# as promo code) right beside/under the phone number. That will appeal to many affiliates ... but only if you actually ask for the promo ID# on received calls though ... they'll check it for sure.

If you need to run a reciprocal link agreement with outside sites/merchants .... then create a special folder/landing area for SAS referred traffic and just remove the leaks from their zone ... covers that issue.

Best-o-luck!
    Ray Thomas
    Webmaster Resources: http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board Category: Programming / Coding
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

You might want to check with SAS about phone tracking. They can turn on some code to pass the affiliate ID to you. Then, you can add some code to your site to save and display it next to the phone number and train your customer service people answering the phone to ask for it and manually credit the sales. That's an extremely affiliate-friendly thing to do.

Myself, I prefer merchants that have a toll free number listed (as long as they're not trying to push sales to it). It adds a sense of professionalism, and I feel that the increased conversion ratios because of customer confidence more than make up for the sales leak over the phone. I know I'm in the minority with that opinion, though.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thanks Ray/Michael for the info. Extremely Helpful.

Brain, hook me up. Let me know what to do to set up the phone tracking deal.

Internet Cowboy
    I had an hour or so to kill today and if it weren't for that huge link to a non-commissioned site, I would have signed up for your program and dedicated a section of my racing site and my motorcycle site to it. Living in the same county as Daytona Beach, racing kinda seeps in to your blood osmotically. Right now we are in the middle of Bike Week.
    I have no problem with the phone number, especially since I called it three or four times today and got your recording every time.
    You want reciprocal links, that is your perogative, but you need to know that it will cost you affiliates. It cost you one today.

Best of luck

Sorry my site didn't meet your requirements, UncleScooter. Good luck to ya and have a great time during Bike Week.

Affiliate Manager
    Hi MudJug,

First wanted to welcome you to ABestWeb - this is definitely the place you can learn what it takes to grow a successful affiliate program.

For the toll free tracking setup, simply log into your ShareASale account and go to this page . The 6 bullet under the General Account Settings Help topics is "How can i track phone orders" - and this gives you the code you can implement.

Also, as for your recip link on your product pages - you should know that most good affiliates will NOT promote a merchant (no matter how good the product line is or how much revenue they may be able to drive) if they have leaks to outside sites. An affiliate isn't going to spend their efforts driving traffic to your site, only to have that traffic possibly leave and go to your recip link partner (with no benefit to the affiliate who drove the visitor in the first place).

It really is a decision you will have to make - make your program affiliate-friendly in order to offer affiliates the best possible program which will give your program the best chance for success, or leave the big leak on your product pages - which won't give you a real good chance to get quality affiliates promoting you.

I hope this helps, just giving you advice from my experience setting up and working with several ShareASale programs.
    Shawn - Nature Hills Nursery, Inc.
    Contact Info: aol im: sms10221975 | shawn"at"naturehills.com | icq: 106-663-985
    Join the Nature Hills affiliate program now | Earn 15% per sale | 365-day Cookie

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by affaction shawn
    Also, as for your recip link on your product pages - you should know that most good affiliates will NOT promote a merchant (no matter how good the product line is or how much revenue they may be able to drive) if they have leaks to outside sites. An affiliate isn't going to spend their efforts driving traffic to your site, only to have that traffic possibly leave and go to your recip link partner (with no benefit to the affiliate who drove the visitor in the first place).

It really is a decision you will have to make - make your program affiliate-friendly in order to offer affiliates the best possible program which will give your program the best chance for success, or leave the big leak on your product pages - which won't give you a real good chance to get quality affiliates promoting you.
    What Shawn said...
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Andy/Shawn, Thanks for the friendly advise. I'm trying to talk my "reciprocal" partner to join share-a-sale. If he doesn't want to, maybe we will just swap product to sell on each others sites. We'll see......Tryin to work on it.......I'll keep you guys posted.........thanks again.

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by MudJug.com
    maybe we will just swap product to sell on each others sites
    That is a great idea. You will quickly be selling more of his stuff than he does and that should open his eyes.

I did not mean to sound harsh, but you need to keep in mind if you run an affiliate program that affiliates often pay for traffic by using Google and others. It is just not good business to send you customers looking for a spitoon only to lose them to your recip. link partner.

I would love to promote your spitoons and the truck balls. I have a few sites where they would do well.

One thing you will learn about this board is that if someone seems harsh or mean, there is usually a positive message in it for you if you are able to decode their rant.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread