Marketing Mistress Lectrickitty's Avatar
    Terms and Conditions - vent - enter at your own risk...
    I have an site that is in a very tight, almost untapped, nitch market. After seaching for several months I've found one merchant with products that fit the site.

I start reading the T & C and my eyes start bugging out! This part really made me mad...
    Affiliates who earn XXX or less will forfeit their earnings... Commission earnings cannot be carried over ...
    I don't want to sign up with a company that is stating upfront that they won't pay affiliates what they earn unless the affiliate earns a set amount within a limited time. They also state that they don't pay on sale items, specials, etc. It looks like they are using every method they can dig up to avoid paying their affiliates.

They are the ONLY company I've found that sells the products I need to promote on that site. I'm thinking of talking to them to see if they will change some of their terms to become a bit more affiliate friendly.

What to do, what to do...

I have a feeling that this company could skyrocket with a good affiliate program.

It seems like I keep finding these unknown companies that aren't real affiliate friendly. Geez, I'm starting to feel like I should just jump on a bus and roll with the flow instead of going my own way...
    [color=blue]"Those who give up their freedom for a little security deserve neither freedom nor security" - Benjamin Franklin[/color]

vote with your feet: be sure to let them know why you didn't go with them.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The greed driven butt holes will probably get offended you'd object to their commission terms. Unless they are the manufacturer or sole craftsman find a competitor and make them a drop ship or advertising deal.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    It seems like I keep finding these unknown companies that aren't real affiliate friendly. Geez, I'm starting to feel like I should just jump on a bus and roll with the flow instead of going my own way...
    If it's really a hot niche, forget the crooked exploiters and just go after Adsense $. If it's really hot, it'll get the traffic and the clicks and pull revenue. If no traffic and clicks, then it wouldn't be worth promoting for a merchant.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Run with your hands flying in the air ElectricKitty! Those T&C are ludicrous and actually laughable.

If you can swing an advertising deal, get them to change the T&C for at least you or get them to join a network where they'll get an education about such matters, fine, otherwise, I'd seriously recommend swallowing hard and moving on. Hopefully you'll find another merchant you can work with for this niche.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Tax Paying Member
    Seen this before
    Quote:
    Affiliates who earn XXX or less will forfeit their earnings... Commission earnings cannot be carried over ...

I had something negative to say, but I see that
    I got promoted...........Newbie to Member..........

Think that I will keep my mouth shut...................

It can never hurt to ask them to change their terms.

Worst case, they say no and you are right where you are now.

They could also say yes - if they are new to affiliate marketing, they may not know any better. Point them to some networks and show them the *norm* for affiliate marketing.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    We are niche and trying to get out of it. Reach out to the AM and let them know your feelings. If they can't work with you dump them.

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Anyone who writes terms like that is looking to never pay their affiliates. Even if you get them to change the terms I wouldn't expect them to pay you.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    What Ojmoo said. Even if they grudgingly fork up a couple of checks at first, I wouldn't expect them to keep doing it.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread