When changing to a shorter cookie duration period, is there any reason to do so other than making it more difficult for publishers to get commissions?

Andy

People First is going from a 45 day to a 30 day cookie later this month, which is still fine. I'm just wondering what prompted them to make this move at this time.

[Edited for typo.]

[ 08-20-2002: Message edited by: Andy ]

ABW Ambassador
    When making such a change, both merchants and network spokespeople will tell you that it "makes no difference, most sales happen within 3.2 microseconds of the first click, so don't worry about it."

Which of course begs the question "WHY CHANGE IT, THEN?"

I haven't been able to come up with any reason other than "it saves the merchant money." Perhaps one of our active merchants can come up with another reason, but I have puzzled on this and puzzled on this... to no avail.

quote:
    When changing to a shorter cookie duration period, is there any reason to do so other than making it more difficult for publishers to get commissions?

No.

Although in fairness, I suspect most of the advertisers think in terms of it as a mechanism to reduce their own expenses, rather than a way to reduce our profits.

But I must say, of all the funky little variables that advertisers can play with to reduce their expenses/our commissions, I find cookie changes among the most snakey. I suspect in most cookie-reduction cases, advertisers have gathered their own data indicating how long their customers wait before making a purchase, and then proceed to reduce the cookie duration to a level which will fall short of that time for many customers, but may still *seem* respectable to unwary affiliates. In these cases, they are in effect reducing our commissions, but in a behind-the-scenes kind of way. I'd rather they just overtly lower the commission rate, rather than attempting to fool people about their commission cutbacks through cookie changes.

Design changes with the intent to reduce commissions to affiliates are another tactic I'm not particularly enamoured with. I'll post something on this in a couple of days with specific examples, if I haven't heard back from a merchant I confronted about this within that time.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    REX is right on all counts. Any merchant foolingg with loweringg cookie durations has studied the impact they play in conversion/payout stats. This also is a red flagg that the sneaky part comes in...they find they can turn off further cookie days for repeat sales after the affiliates "first" sale on the original link. THAT NEEDS to be a option CJ has to drop!!!

You folks are 100% correct. Every merchant should have a 365 day cookie. Why should an affiliate lose out on a commission simply because the customer failed to place an order within the prescribed amount of time? The fact is, the affiliate did introduce the customer to the merchant. It is true though that 99% of people make a purchase within one day - but I think it's the principle that's wrong. A lot of merchants don't respect the fact that their affiliates are their sales force. As far as the KEEP value allowing repeat commissions after the initial sale - most merchants aren't even aware of this. CJ does not mention what that value will do anywhere. I learned about it right here on ABW!

Anyway, at essentialapparel.com our cookie stays for 365 days and we pay repeat commissions.

[ 08-21-2002: Message edited by: essentialapparel.com ]

Affiliate Summit Guy Shawn Collins's Avatar
    Does anybody know of a global list of cookie duration for affiliate programs?

Shawn
    ClubMomAffiliates.com

Shawn,

As fast as some of these merchants are changing their duration, I think a centralized cookie duration site would be a full time job! Is there a commission for the person that set's a site up? Oh just a session cookie? I'm outta here!

Allen

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread