ABW Ambassador
    So BMW hired Volkswagen to do blackhat SEO on their site, ah.

Back to reality, sounds like a cool tool Volkswagen and Google got going on.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    So BMW hired Volkswagen to do blackhat SEO on their site, ah.
    Usually I read complaints that big companies aren't penalized as much as little guys--so yeah, I think it IS fishy that when BMW did it suddenly G cared, and cared enough to outright ban 'em. Kind of like how everyone can speed down a certain stretch of road without fear, except the police deputy's rival, who is ticketed to the max. Sure, it's technically legal to ticket that rival, but it's also ROT!

As for the tool, anti-Google bias aside--I think that while it looks somewhat cool, it'd be much easier to use a traditional 2-D map (like at Mapquest) that clearly shows the roads, rather than having to find the important data out of all that visual clutter. For instance, there's no need for all those colored dots (I presume they designate intersections). If you're asking G how to get to Point B, it makes more sense to just have a straight line until the relevant exit. Also I see another road off to the left, that's marked in green dots. Apparently that's the road the person needs to get to. But, it's very hard to see just where to get off the freeway to get to it--and, the view they're showing has its road sign way too small to even see what it's called! And, other sections of the freeway have green dots, too...making it hard to tell if the green is really important or just a design element. If they just drew a solid line which turned at the right road (rather than coloring in the freeway all the way to the horizon), it'd be a lot more helpful.

The aerial view of the city is visually nice, but useless for practical purposes, at least for places without some bang-obvious geographical feature--which is most places. The view from car-level would be so different from the sat. view that it wouldn't be any help.

Personally I'll stick with Mapquest. Nice and easy to see, routes clearly marked, and irrelevant visual information left out. When I want to get somewhere, I'm not interested in being shown visual bling--I just want a decent map.
    Last edited by Leader; March 14th, 2006 at 06:34 AM.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    I would think Mercedes is more a rival to BMW than Volkswagen and the ban didn't last long. Just weak conspiracy type stuff.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread