Am I seeing things?
    Or is this SAS merchant blatantly thumbing its nose at the affiliates???

kitchen-secrets.com

I asked Brian but didnt get an answer, so I thought I get some opinions here.
    Why are there so many merchants that do this, and how do they get approved by SAS?

I wonder if my affiliate site would benefit from signing up other unsuspecting affiliates to send me tons of free traffic.

hey maybe I can even develop a datafeed for all my adsense links!
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=RoyalBlue]He who asks is a fool for five minutes...but he who does not ask is a fool forever.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE] :rolleyes:

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Definitely a e-mail scraping false front spam operation,also hawking multiple Adsense income from affiliate traffic. How the heck would anyone be such an idiot to push traffic to some freebee kitchen design outfit.

domain: KITCHEN-SECRETS.COM
    created: 10-Sep-2003
    last-changed: 29-Sep-2005
    registration-expiration: 10-Sep-2006

nserver: ns33.1and1.co.uk
    nserver: ns34.1and1.co.uk

registrant-firstname: David
    registrant-lastname: Bain
    registrant-street1: Ritchie Place
    registrant-street2: 3F1, 5
    registrant-pcode: EH11 1DT
    registrant-city: Edinburgh
    registrant-ccode: GB
    registrant- +44.1313131404
    registrant-email: david@trektheuk.com

admin-c-firstname: David
    admin-c-lastname: Bain
    admin-c-street1: Ritchie Place
    admin-c-street2: 3F1, 5
    admin-c-pcode: EH11 1DT
    admin-c-city: Edinburgh
    admin-c-ccode: GB
    admin-c- +44.1313131404
    admin-c-email: david@trektheuk.com
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    Now that's what I'd call a leaky site!

OMG!!

That is nothing more than a G adsense site. Well, just a tad more, but really this is crap.

SAS should have a clean up day once a month.

I visit all sites before I sign up among other things, but sheezsh
    Oregon Publishing: Web Development, Graphic Design, Domains & Marketing
    Deluxe Banners Bartender's Guide Cooking Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by Cursal
    OMG!!

That is nothing more than a G adsense site. Well, just a tad more, but really this is crap.

SAS should have a clean up day once a month.

I visit all sites before I sign up among other things, but sheezsh
    After reading on this board how ethical and clean SAS is with tracking, I made an apppointment in my calendar to go through all the SAS merchants to see who would work for me. I only promote a very few. But when i saw this it made me recoil (do we have a smilie for that?)

Needless to say, this task moved from the top of my to do list.
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=RoyalBlue]He who asks is a fool for five minutes...but he who does not ask is a fool forever.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE] :rolleyes:

Wow, what a sad site. I haven't seen much worse..and a merchant too...

We need some quality control here

Some loser merchants do sneak in from time to time. It's good you pointed them out. Like Cursal said, it's best you check out new merchants first before signing up.

Cheers
    Travelin' Man

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will lead you there." -- unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Travelin Man
    Wow, what a sad site. I haven't seen much worse..and a merchant too...

We need some quality control here

Some loser merchants do sneak in from time to time. It's good you pointed them out. Like Cursal said, it's best you check out new merchants first before signing up.

Cheers
    Is it good for me to point them out on the board? I can tell there are 'favorites' and I dont want to get flamed for pissin off a 'fav'.

I am green at this and dont want to get a bad rep. Some people ( ______ insert name here) already hate me, but it burns me when merchants, affiliates and people in general scam, and this is a scam if i ever saw one.

Quote Originally Posted by tmmmandm
    Is it good for me to point them out on the board?
    Absolutely. Thank you.
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Not only is this site an AdSense Farm, but in order to get any information a visitor has to give up city, zip code AND street address. UNREAL. I'm surprised they don't insist on a phone number, too. What a PIT.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

When you find things like this ABSOLUTELY name the merchant!

I don't think even SAS has it in the contract that the merchants must maintain a leak free site or even a presentable site. Sites with leaks are not dishonest unless they are somehow hidden or misleading. However, those kinds of merchants are just something we do not want to waste our traffic promoting.

The failure to attract affiliates should be sufficient to weed them out. Brian cannot be held accountable if someone choses to promote a merchant such as this. I mean, after all, the affiliate has to take SOME responsibility for the merchants they pick, don't you think?

Should Brian wipe our noses for us, too?
    Last edited by SSanf; March 14th, 2006 at 05:30 PM.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    I think there should be a bonafide, verifiable product offering of some kind before a site can have merchant status. Check them out at the internet archive - when has there ever been a product that they could pay commission on?

Sites with leaks
    But having leaks on a site isn't the same thing as a site being an affiliate site.

Can anyone think of any legitimate merchant sites that run affiliate links on their homepage or product pages? I can't. Adsense (a leak) yes, but affiliate links, no.

Wow, what a nasty little site.
    At the end of the day though, it is up to you to decide who you think is worth sending traffic to.

I think most people view prospective sites first before promoting them - my concern is that this is usually a "one time deal" - I don't have the time to go round checking every site on my list regularly, and some may well "add" in leaks or other google adsense rubbish.

I'd be a lot happier if there were separate listings for merchants with leaks, and if a merchant site adds a leak after joining the program, they must notify the network and be moved to this section, or removed from the program.

ABW Ambassador
    I think most people view prospective sites first before promoting them
    While that's true for people who know what to look for, many don't. I don't think I would have known one-tenth without reading steadily at ABW by members who know more than I do. That takes time.

There are many starting out who don't know, who actually have a lot of promise for future success both for themselves and decent merchants. If they, without knowledge, place trust in legitimacy because they figure on merchants having been OK'd first, they could lose their shirts by promoting the wrong merchants and give up for lack of income because of bad choices, not knowing any better as a newbie. Too bad, it's a lost opportunity that need not have been.

I'm not really sure how much of a "fiduciary responsibility" a network should have, as an agent to bring merchants and affiliates together, but I'd think it would be as important to screen for outright fraud and bait-and-switch tactics as it is to screen for parasites.

BTW, what does "checked for compliance" mean? I've alway wondered.

Hory Clap!

Geez, I design some of my sites with the hope that they will garner more Adsense revenue than commissionables, but I'd be pretty nervous about being as blatant about it as that site is.

And for them to use an affiliate program to draw traffic? Wow.

ABW Ambassador
    I love SAS but Brian you need to set the bar a little higher. I've seen these types of sites before and probably could find more of the same. They're a drag on the network. Don't see how this one even got in.

Of course its our job to check out the merchant before posting links. But what parameters are in place to prevent the merchant from changing their site to something like THAT after approval. Refer to the kidsfirstinternet.org thread of last week. Supposedly there was a time that site had product too.

I do not check my links daily, or even weekly. I have too many pages. Shouldnt a flag go up when SAS, or any network, sees sales drop or become non existent?

Wow, thanks for bringing this one to my attention. Their site looked nothing like that when I joined their program a few months back. Needless to say I have quit that program.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread