Using Adwords to Market a Product - Is Linking Directly to the page better?
    Hi all, I have a brief question that I hope you can help me with:

I want to market some products through Google Adwords. I can create a landing page about that particular product, and then direct them to the merchant's same product detail page, or directly to their signup page.

In this case, is the landing page (which will pretty much provide product details) useful at all? Or will it simply be one step too much for the customer?

If not, and the merchant allows it, would it be better to direct the adwords campaign directly to the merchant's product detail page (those pages are well written - although only used for informational purposes and not really very good sales copy)?

I hope that wasn't too confusing. Any help would be so appreciated!

Well it's like this. Last year Google changed its' terms of service and effectively banned affiliate links, that is, an affiliate linking directly to the merchant. Affiliate links are not actually forbidden, but Google only allows 1 ad per url besides the actual merchant. So at the most only 2 ads per URL will be allowed to be shown at any one time.

I have one clickbank product that I link directly to the site, but this vendor/merchant does not use adwords herself, so mine is the only adwords ad using that URL. My other adwords ads link to landing pages on my own domains. And I have had google suspend campaigns where my landing page only contained an affiliate banner and no significant content.

Hope this helps. And if i have any of this info wrong, please feel free to correct me.

KL

Quote Originally Posted by kaylowe
    Well it's like this. Last year Google changed its' terms of service and effectively banned affiliate links, that is, an affiliate linking directly to the merchant. Affiliate links are not actually forbidden, but Google only allows 1 ad per url besides the actual merchant. So at the most only 2 ads per URL will be allowed to be shown at any one time.

I have one clickbank product that I link directly to the site, but this vendor/merchant does not use adwords herself, so mine is the only adwords ad using that URL. My other adwords ads link to landing pages on my own domains. And I have had google suspend campaigns where my landing page only contained an affiliate banner and no significant content.

Hope this helps. And if i have any of this info wrong, please feel free to correct me.

KL
    Thanks, Kaylowe. I've heard the same thing about them clamping down, but never really gave it any thought. I suppose that does put a damper on that strategy..

Thanks again for the help!

Hi All, I'd say that the fastest route to the candy is always the best... Just make sure it's legal.

Love You,
    HumbleFish

In general, direct links work better, but it's always good to test.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Sorry for the late response. Yeah, Michael, I imagine in this scenario it definitely is. Having to put the possible customer through one more additional click is annoying.

Well, I'm currently testing some better ways to approach them with this product. If all goes well, I will let you know! Thanks again for the responses.

Personally speaking, if I am spending money on PPC advetising I want to brand my site name/url into the sale equation for optimum results across the board. Linking direct to the merchant can often times have a better ROI depending on landing pages ... but your getting very little self branding of your own site with that setup.

Best-o-luck!
    Ray Thomas
    Webmaster Resources: http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board Category: Programming / Coding
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread