More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Help Me To Find This Blog
    I am looking for a blog that will:

• Allow comments only if visitors register.
    • Allow visitors to register on the spot.
    • Show comments without any prompt from the visitor. So the blog post would be shown along with all comments below.

Blogger does not seem to fit this bill. Would TypePad work for this?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

You might try HotScripts..
    Here is their PHP Blogs...
    http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Script...log/index.html

Hope you find it..!

I believe Wordpress does all of this.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Thanks Addhandler and Snib for your suggestions.
    I have a Wordpress Blog. Also tried TypePad (30 day trial) and Blogger. Here is the problem with all 3 of them with respect to reader comments:

1.You can leave comments unrestricted. Inevitably bad things will happen when the spammers find you. Also, people will leave some really nutty comments if they don't have to register.

2. You can set comments so a post is allowed only after approval. This would work great if you lived by your computer 24/7. Otherwise, the poster might have to wait a day or more to see their comments - this doesn't make for good dialog.

3. You can require Log In. The trouble with all these however is that the procedure to do this takes a bunch of steps. Even at that, one must log in at a different location before posting. If they post without logging in, there is no login popup prompt.

It's no wonder you see so few comments on most blogs.
    I have seen blogs however where there is a registration prompt (and a log in prompt) right next to where you post. Also, the registration process on these blogs was simple and on the spot. So a new person could fill out registration and post almost immediately. One example of such a blog is blogforamerica . com - there are posts with over 100 comments. Try commenting on this blog (I just did) and it is no problem to register and post comments.

I am getting the feeling that one must custom make a script for this.
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    Thanks Addhandler and Snib for your suggestions.
    I have a Wordpress Blog. Also tried TypePad (30 day trial) and Blogger. Here is the problem with all 3 of them with respect to reader comments:

1.You can leave comments unrestricted. Inevitably bad things will happen when the spammers find you. Also, people will leave some really nutty comments if they don't have to register.

2. You can set comments so a post is allowed only after approval. This would work great if you lived by your computer 24/7. Otherwise, the poster might have to wait a day or more to see their comments - this doesn't make for good dialog.

3. You can require Log In. The trouble with all these however is that the procedure to do this takes a bunch of steps. Even at that, one must log in at a different location before posting. If they post without logging in, there is no login popup prompt.

It's no wonder you see so few comments on most blogs.
    I have seen blogs however where there is a registration prompt (and a log in prompt) right next to where you post. Also, the registration process on these blogs was simple and on the spot. So a new person could fill out registration and post almost immediately. One example of such a blog is blogforamerica . com - there are posts with over 100 comments. Try commenting on this blog (I just did) and it is no problem to register and post comments.

I am getting the feeling that one must custom make a script for this.
    I think the best way to go is not to require registration and have a mechanism in place that prevents the same person from posting too soon after the first post. Of course it'll take some maintenance, but if you're serious about your blog it's to be expected. Just make sure there's a mechanism that reports each new comment to you. Then you don't have to go back and check old blog posts for new comments.

- Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    I think the best way to go is not to require registration and have a mechanism in place that prevents the same person from posting too soon after the first post. Of course it'll take some maintenance, but if you're serious about your blog it's to be expected. Just make sure there's a mechanism that reports each new comment to you. Then you don't have to go back and check old blog posts for new comments.

- Scott
    TypePad has an anti-flood mechanism I believe. If I had 80 comments a day and I were notified, that would be 80 emails a day. I would rather read through the blog comments all at once (on the blog), a few times a day. Not that the average blog would get near that, but what I have in mind would be almost more like a message board in that it would encourage comments. I will keep looking or hire a person to design or modify a script. I would be nice to go with a blogging service but it seems what I have in mind has to be on the same server.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Just make sure there's a mechanism that reports each new comment to you.
    I have a blog that does that. It also requires approval before any comments show. And for a few months, that worked okay.

Then the automated blog-spammers found it.
    At first, it was still okay, but suddenly a whole pack discovered it, and absolutely inundated it with comment spam as well as ping spam.

A few weeks ago, I found 2700+ comment notices in my inbox!!
    And the amount of spam hasn't let up--literally over 1000 spams/week. So now, comments are effectively closed. People can still *try,* but the chance of me spotting a legit comment (if there are any) out of the mountain of spam in the mod queue is so remote I might as well just *officially* block comments and be done with it.

(Leader doing c*ntent? Not to *sell* stuff, I'm not. That blog is powered by AdSense... )
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    I have a blog that does that. It also requires approval before any comments show. And for a few months, that worked okay.

Then the automated blog-spammers found it.
    At first, it was still okay, but suddenly a whole pack discovered it, and absolutely inundated it with comment spam as well as ping spam.

A few weeks ago, I found 2700+ comment notices in my inbox!!
    And the amount of spam hasn't let up--literally over 1000 spams/week. So now, comments are effectively closed. People can still *try,* but the chance of me spotting a legit comment (if there are any) out of the mountain of spam in the mod queue is so remote I might as well just *officially* block comments and be done with it.

(Leader doing c*ntent? Not to *sell* stuff, I'm not. That blog is powered by AdSense... )
    This is the reason for only allowing registered users. But the registration and log-in process needs to be fairly simple. What is "ping spam"?

I think a nice solution would be to require the user's email address upon submitting the comment. Then in order to make the comment appear they need to validate their email through a link sent to their email box. This would make the registration process very simple.

- Scott

Update: I got the TypePad Blog to work correctly. TypePad is $16 a month however for the multi-blog service. The drawback of TypePad is that ANY registered user of any blog is also registered for your blog. Addhandler also sent me info on a Blog that would work nicely as well. It is called Boast Machine.

Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by Cheesehead; March 17th, 2006 at 07:12 AM.

A stripped down Joomla install with a simple template would handle this as well... Have I mentioned Joomla before?
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

[oops..didn't realize how old this thread was. sorry]

I have both Typepad and Wordpress. If you're really, really serious about turning your blog into something worth reading, then I would ultimately go with wordpress. Wordpress straight out of the box is good. But Wordpress with its hundreds/thousands of free plugins is what makes it better; this includes spam plugins.

I do like Typepad for one very good reason, as compared to Wordpress, and that is it is easier to setup. Works great for my blogs that I don't want to give as much attention to.

Also, don't forget that Six Apart has come out with a commercial version of Typepad. It provides better spam protection, among some other features. It's also like $89.00/month though.. =X

Good luck!
    Last edited by MoneyBusiness; April 12th, 2006 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Not paying enough attention

I use Type pad and paid 150.00 for a year and find it very easy to use and when someone post a comment it goes through a filter before the can post.ohtheblog

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread