Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Talking Scenario:Game only. You received a half million commission check
    One day, while checking your mailbox you notice an envelope from a big merchant that you stopped promoting over half a year ago. When you open it you see that it's a check for $505,000.00 sign to you as a commission check for the previous month. The note attached to the letter says "thanks for being a Super Affiliate for us". You knowing that you didn't do anything to earn this money, so you decide to call them. The Affiliate manager tells you that they investigates all their big commission pay-outs before they make payments and that they know that the commission amount is correct and you are the person who the commission check belongs to. Then the Affiliate manager say "If you don't want your earned commission check then you can send it back, it's no skin off my back"

What would you do in this situation?

Background: You tried to explain to the Affiliate Manager over the phone that you stop promoting them over 6 months ago and he tells you that he has no interest in investigating this any further and conveys to you to do what you want with your check because he knows his company is right about the commission amount owed.

[Now, I know Most AM or merchants aren't this stupid, but this is the bizarre life scenario you were handed]

ABW Ambassador
    Say thanks, send him some Restaurant.com $25 free dinners

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    Say thanks, send him some Restaurant.com $25 free dinners
    lol

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I wake up with a big grin on my face which quickly turns into a frown.

Game over.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    I wake up with a big grin on my face which quickly turns into a frown.

Game over.
    Granted Rhea! -Same here:

but, what action would you take with that commission check in your hands?

ABW Ambassador
    Seriously tho. If it happened. I had links up before, so cookie could still be active. So there's always that possibility, not likely that much. I give the affiliate manager a call and say are you sure? And he says yes. I'm not going to sit and argue with the guy. I guess you just have to trust people sometimes Especially your partners that send out the half million dollar checks. My mailbox is open for business.

I'd have no problem keeping it, and as Trust says, sometimes there are long cookie durations so its possible to keep getting sales long after you quit promoting a merchant.
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    First, I'd contact the media. Might as well get some free publicity for my web site out of this mess. Then I'd phone the merchant and ask to speak with the CFO of the company.

ABW Ambassador
    Think I'd take a trip to the Benz dealership.

I forgot to add my two cents in.

I would solicit some legal advice [But, I would be picky, only from lawyers who agrees with me that I should keep the money], then proceed from there.

oh one mor thing, I will send a polariod to my mother in-law with a note that says "Call me, if you want to hear me say I told you so".

Considering I've barely made a dime this year, not keeping it would be the last thing that crossed my mind, especially after debating with the AM about it. Actually, even if I had made money this year, not keeping it would be the last thing to cross my mind.

My lack of a vehicle would quickly become a nonissue.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

If they say you've earned it, you've earned it. Especially since we've had it happen the other way around so many times...
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

humm! No one would give it back to the merchant?

ABW Ambassador
    Are you not listening to the merchant? They said it was yours. And it's possible.

"The Affiliate manager tells you that they investigates all their big commission pay-outs before they make payments and that they know that the commission amount is correct and you are the person who the commission check belongs to"

That's that.

THat's right, Trust. Could be catching up on 1000 missed sales from the last year. Could be lots of things. In practice, I probably would have the hair sticking up on the back of my neck for the whole thing.

But in theory, I would keep it once I verified it was accurate.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by DavidVanHook
    lol, nope. I might wait a while before I started spending any of the money - just in case - but I wouldn't send it back if they told me it was mine.
    Ebudae

I would head for my local bank and have them verify the check with the company. You have a witness and you don't have to pay a lawyer.

Thumbs up
    If they said it was mine and they verified it:

The Affiliate manager tells you that they investigates all their big commission pay-outs before they make payments and that they know that the commission amount is correct and you are the person who the commission check belongs to.
    I'm off to the bank and thinking about how much I'm gonna have to pay in taxes
    Oregon Publishing: Web Development, Graphic Design, Domains & Marketing
    Deluxe Banners Bartender's Guide Cooking Jobs

Is this for real? If it's a fairy story it's irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ward
    Is this for real? If it's a fairy story it's irrelevant.
    Are you being serious? you can't tell? Tell me you're joking!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidVanHook
    HELL NO! Not if they told me it was mine! 1/2 a million, that's not some peanut $35 check there, you're talking enough to retire on! Invested at 10% that = $50k/yr, which = retired!

I'd cash it the second I had a written confirmation, and hope it didn't bounce higher than the moon.

But, I would probably wait a bit before actually spending it, just in case someone higher-up than this AM decided it was actually a mistake. But if they don't catch it in a couple months--enough time for them to get their bank statement back--Retirement City here I come!

Although I would stick their links back up, retired or not. Same setup as whatever brought in the 1/2 mill to begin with. There is the possibility that it really wasn't a mistake...and if that's the case, it'd be nuts not to have their links up to catch another 1/2 mill!

You knowing that you didn't do anything to earn this money, so you decide to call them.
    Legally, there needs to be a written response (emails count), not just what you claim a guy said. So I wouldn't call them--I'd definitely have emailed instead. Calls = nothing, from a legal standpoint, at least not unless you were taping.

If they try to claim back the money after I've had a chance to start spending it, it'd be too late to return it. And it'd be toooo bogus if they started making claims that I owed it, when they were the ones who sent it and insisted it was mine!

So, I'd want that written proof of their confirmation that it was indeed MINE, so I could get any claims they make on the money dismissed by a court.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Are you people smoking something funny?

I would call the AM and ask for a commision raise, If they are paying you this type of money they must have a good program and tracking. I am sure at that amount I am sure I could get a boost to my % rate. Imagine how much MORE money you could be making especially after spending half of that 500,000 on about 10000 sites of crappy content pushing that program. I have to stop now I am hurting my brain lol
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

ABW Ambassador
    Cash that mother! I'd assume it came from a cached page or stored cookie. I agree about the written/emailed statement so it holds up, and the interest, but it won't be $50k/mo after taxes, so I'd still have to work.
    Hi, I'm a signature.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Since the AM insists it's accurate, I'd thank him, thank the universe for the gift and keep it. Gives me warm fuzzies just anticipating such a scenario. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Life's middle name is 'IF'.

This 'if' isn't one of the 'real ones' to deal with, so I won't answer.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast