Hi All,

I am preparing to create a new website that provides free downloads and content with the hopes of using CJ merchants that relate to the sites subject for income. The merchants will be very closely related to the content provided.
    My question is this... Has this worked well for anyone else? Thanks in advance for any input.

Core

ABW Ambassador
    Core, there are certain ways this could work for you. I will give you one instance that has worked for me.

Join FlipAlbum

Offer your visitors a Free Download of nice pictures of different sorts or whatever.

After they download the zip file you can open the FlipAlbum landing page, this type of promo seems to work all by itself!

The way I am headed with this is: I am going to have technical support information and downloads for a specific electronic product. I am going to have links to CJ merchants on my page which sell things that this specific product also needs...

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Well, that could work as long as you don't make the mistake some sites do. Some sites actually close their page when you hit Download, leaving you with just your desktop screen!

One thing to watch is to make sure the ad-spin shows around that grey "downloading" box. Give 'em your ads to read while they wait for the download and there "may" be a chance, provided they NEED this other stuff (and aren't likely to have it already) to make the download work.

As for content, notice that the CJ Wire never said a FIGURE for their content-based "success story"...maybe it wouldn't look so successful if they talked about the only figure that counts (REVENUE) instead of traffic!!!

Get the buyers into the Action Phase as fast as possible!

Yup, basically that's the way to do it. Get your ads very closely targetted to your content and your clickthrough rate will go through the roof. (I think through the roof is a CTR of around 5% or more). General untargeted ads get a CTR of about one tenth that.

The effect that Leader is talking about where the main window shuts down sounds like a bug in early versions of IE 5.5 where if you spawn a window (e.g. CTRL-N, Open in New Window etc) and then download from it the window shuts down. You need to upgrade to IE 5.5 SP2 at least [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I am preparing to create a new website that provides free downloads...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

People looking for free stuff are not usually looking to buy anything. Billy Joe Six Pack web surfer is looking for free stuff, free games, and free naked pictures; not merchandise from your best converting advertiser. I would go to CPA Bank, too, and find some lead based programs (it seems CPA Bank has quite a few of those).

My two cents.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Dynamoo-- Ahaa! So that's what's up. I do have an early version of IE 5.5... maybe I'll finally bother getting the SP2.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread