PDA recommendations?
    Wasn't sure where to stick this post, so I put it here.

I'm considering getting a PDA/PocketPC. Just a quick FYI, my last PDA was a Palm III.. it's been a while. I'm out of the PDA loop and don't know exactly what all is possible yet with the latest generation.

I'd like lots of bells and whistles, mainly geared towards Internet connectivity. I'd like to be able to update my sites on the go, check email, maybe some IMing without having to lug around a laptop. It can't have a built-in camera, but ability to connect to a digital camera if possible. I don't particularly care if it has cell phone capability, but right now I'm probably leaning a bit little against that. I've been doing some research, but as you all know, personal recommendations go a long way. So if any of you have any recommendations, let me hear 'em!

Thanks in advance!

-M
    Last edited by meadowmufn; March 15th, 2006 at 03:09 PM. Reason: punctuation
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

I have an iPAQ 4155. Fantastic piece of gear.. I've been watching TV and movies on my PDA for 2 years before the 'video ipod' and with a screen twice the size HP's support impressed me as well. Literally 3 days before the warranty was up, it stopped taking a charge. I called support, they overnighted me an overnight envelope. They weren't able to find anything wrong with it so they overnighted it back and told me if it happens again, don't worry about the warranty expiration-- because they already looked at the problem while it was under warranty, they will still cover it if it happens again.

Check out my friend's site for tons of PDA/iPAQ news and reviews: www.mobilitytoday.com (hey great design and CMS, wonder who did it? heh)

Shoot. I thought this thread was going to be about Public Displays of Affection.

That would be more interesting, wouldn't it?
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.

I love my Treo 650 and now they have the windows version - 700w.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    Another vote for the Treo 650 ...

I opted to wait on the 700 till they get all the bugs out of the windows OS...
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Andy

I looked at the 700 also and thought the same thing and determined the price was not worth it. Looks like I am going to get the Treo 650 sometime this week. Maybe I will use it to call you Its been a while
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

I actually have had my eye on the Treo, Haiko. It's the only smartphone that's on my list of possibilities. (Unless another ABWer wants to convince me there's one better.) Just curious, can you read and post on ABW with it?

I use the Treo650 as well and love it. Waiting for my provider (Sprint) to release the Treo700w.

Quote Originally Posted by meadowmufn
    I actually have had my eye on the Treo, Haiko. It's the only smartphone that's on my list of possibilities. (Unless another ABWer wants to convince me there's one better.) Just curious, can you read and post on ABW with it?
    I have a vBulletin skin expressly for PDAs that I can put up and there is also the vBulletin archive that has a similar (but less modifiable) PDA compatible interface.

Just curious, can you read and post on ABW with it?
    yes....

I have all my merchant accounts bookmarked in the blazer browser so i can monitor sites etc. I have an IM client installed as well, so i can send and recive IM's

ABW is one of my bookmarks, I read and have posted from my Treo while on the road, beach or restaurant.....

Treo's rock...

Not to mention, add a 1 Gb SD card and you have tons of memeory for music (gym), pictures etc. I see everyone with the iPods and i'm jamming with my Treo and surfing the web ...
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Wow! That sounds like just what I'm looking for, Andy. Thanks! I might have to stop by Verizon on the way home...

Wow! That sounds like just what I'm looking for, Andy. Thanks! I might have to stop by Verizon on the way home...
    Meadow,

http://www.pdaapps.com/verichat/default.html

Your going to love that app....

Alright Andy, you just totally convinced me to get the treo. I've been eyeing it for months but hate to get new gear that doesn't have all the bugs worked out.

I'll be posting from my treo within a week or 2.

Oh yeah, and my Sprint contract is up, so new contract, new phone at a really good price!

Hate having a phone and pda and ipod, then again, many people wish they had any of those, so I shouldn't complain. I'm just a total gadget freak. I would prefer a new laptop or the latest ipod over jewelry any day.
    Danay @ LunaSolMedia.com
    Global Perfomance Marketing. Global Niche Markets = Opportunity!
    HispanicYa!|MallFreebies

I dwell in possibility. ~Emily Dickinson

Where I live the GPRS charges are quite high, and connectivity used to be extremely slow (haven't tried for a while) - no way you could do any serious surfing/posting at that speed. This was one of the reasons why I traded my O2 (first model) for a Palm Tungsten C. The T|C has built-in WiFi capabilities for browsing, email etc, plus all the other Palm goodies like business software, games etc. Drawback is that you need to be close to a hot spot to get onto the web, but many places now offer WiFi access.
    If you don't need the phone part and like to use a small (and surprisingly usable) keybord rather than a 'virtual' one the T|C would be my recommendation. Although it is not the most up-to-date gadget it is the best PDA I ever owned.

Cheers, Frank

EDITED: Not sure if they are still being sold, they have disappeared from the Palm website. A link to a review is here: http://www.geek.com/hwswrev/pda/tungstenc/index.htm
    Last edited by LearnAbout; March 16th, 2006 at 02:33 AM. Reason: added link to review
    [URL=http://www.golfbeginnerguide.com/]Golf Beginner Guide[/URL] ; [URL=http://www.ladygolfersguide.com/]Lady Golfers Guide[/URL]

Thanks for the recommendation, Haiko! My 2 year agreement is up in May, and I've been considering the 700W, now that coverage has finally made it to little ol' Warren, PA.
    Christopher Park
    Affiliate/Partnerships Manager
    Blair.com
    cjpark@blair.com
    (814)726-6074
    AIM: BLAIRAffiliates
    Twitter: BLAIRAffiliates

Update! Well, thanks to everyone who gave a recommendation... especially Andy. You sold me, so I had to check out the Treo 650 and 700 at the mall on the way home. I loved them both and I would've loved to have gotten the 700, but I opted for the 650 for a few reasons.

1) Price. They were willing to sell the 650 for a lot cheaper ($150+tax... my employer gets me great discounts!), probably because they were pushing the 700 so hard.

2) While trying out the camera on the 700, I got an out of memory error. I really didn't want to see little windows error alert boxes on my PDA/phone. I've seen enough of them on my PC in my day. Plus, the performance of the 650 seemed a bit better.

And yes, I did access ABW on the 650 from the store!

So, all total, I walked out with the the phone, bluetooth hands free set, car kit, case, and 1 gb extra memory for $330. I think I did pretty well.

And Andy already anticipated my next question. Andy, you're good... but everyone already knows that.

What applications should I get? VeriChat is now on my list.

-M

Affiliate Manager
    The Treo 700W is awesome. I got one the day they came out (Jan 5th I believe) and have loved it ever since. The Windows interface works well and I have had very few issues with it. Can't really see anything that can compete with this right now.

I still would've loved to get the 700W, but given the price, my budget, and my needs, the 650 just fit better. Plus, I'm more of a wait-til-the-second-generation-so-the-bugs-are-worked-out type of person. And invariably, once they do get the bugs worked out, I either don't have or can't justify spending the money. So I end up about 3 years behind everyone else in terms of gadgetry.

i got the 650 yesterday and I'm in love! I was surfing and posting and researching while I was at my doctor's appointment yesterday!

I can't believe I waited so long.
    Danay @ LunaSolMedia.com
    HispanicYa!|MallFreebies

I got the 650 last week also. Not happy with the volume level on the earpiece. It sounds like everyone is whispering unless I use a headset. It seems this is a common problem with the verizon version. I found this out after I brought it home.

Being able to create worthless content 24/7 on this phone has changed my business.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

"Being able to create worthless content 24/7 on this phone has changed my business." LOL
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

That was my #1 reason for getting one!

errr. yeah, and ummm to stay connected with clients using a ummmm plattform that is more conducive to better communication. yeah, that's the ticket.
    Danay @ LunaSolMedia.com
    HispanicYa!|MallFreebies

Internet Cowboy
    I just got a 700W and it rocks. The speaker in the speakerphone is better than any other I have had. It is feature packed and now I am truly mobile.

With the Treo there is a way you can access the web on your laptop while having it plugged in to your Treo's sync cable. Has anyone accomplished this? I have yet to play with it but would love to use my laptop from time to time using the Treo's line for access.

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread