ABW Ambassador
    Got two of these emails today from two different sender addresses :

Subject : phone numbers
    Message : I am sending you this file to kindly review (or something like that)
    Attachment size : 204K

Maybe it's not new, but it's a new one on me , just thought I'd share .

Lisa

ABW Ambassador
    Got it a couple of days ago. I blocked the sender and deleted right away. I've been burnt before, and it's something that really pisses you off when it happens to you.

In an earlier post, back at the CJU board, I mentioned capital punishment for hackers, and people who like to send viruses. I would shoot a man (or woman) if I caught them trying to break into my home. I see hacking and sending viruses to be no different; it's an invasion of my home, worthy of a putting a hot one upside someones head.

[ 12-08-2001: Message edited by: Big Chuck ]

ABW Ambassador
    That's Sircam, Lisa. Not new, but a charmer, nonetheless... I still get a handful of them now and then -- usually overseas mail now.

But there was a day when I thought Sircam was going to take down my mailserver. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Big Chuck, problem is, the user doesn't generally know they've sent it. SirCam goes through not only the infected person's email address book, but cached web pages as well.

And then picks files off that person's computer, infects them, and then sends them as an attachment.

And it doesn't send just one from each infected person, it sends hundreds. At the height of Sircam, I was getting 250+k files in my mail at the rate of 1 every 2 minutes. It was ugly.

ABW Ambassador
    I usually get the 'Here is a copy of my resume for your review' I get them sporadically...3 or 4 times every couple of weeks.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    just had 8 sent to me from same guy......
    Norton's saved a lot of bacon over here. I'm with Chuck though. I'd like to be locked in a room with the creator of one 'o those damn things for about an hour.

My Yahoo mailbox is usually clogged daily with those pesky sircams. Never found a way to stop them as it amazes me how new people are being infected everyday.

ABW Ambassador
    Makes you realize how many people are not using anti-virus software, or aren't keeping it updated. My software has always caught this while the mail was downloading, without even opening the e-mail (or attachment). I too am amazed at how many people are still getting it. Reminds me too of the NIMDA problem. My servers are still getting pounded by this thing...there are a lot of servers out there that need to have some holes plugged up.

Tom Pyles

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    They just caught 4 Israelie teenagers over the weekend who wrote and spread last weeks new virus. Hope they strap some explosives around their waistes and set them off in a Palestinian camp as an example or how to really spread a virus.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread