Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Who is replacing Todd here at ABW
    Hey, I just realized we do not have anyone from CJ here to tell us what is going on. Checking my stats today I see they are still backed up with reporting delays and realized how much I missed Todd's posts when things like that happened in the past.

CJ! Can we get someone in here to represent the company?

Thanks in advance!
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Yes, we want someone to take Todd's place

Okay... I'll take Todd's place... reporting was not and is not affected. What else did he REALLY say in the end? It was nice to feel a personal connection to CJ, but it's not like issues were ever really clarified and it seems many if not most of our suggestions didn't make their way to the reporting interface. That's not to say Todd wasn't a nice guy, which he certainly appeared to be.

Yup. There were a lot of warm fuzzies but not much was really addressed and we hardly ever got real answers to questions that were asked. Just like now.

If anything it was more annoying then when we were under the illusion that questions might get answered... now no false hopes.

[Don't get me wrong; I'm sure Todd's a nice guy, and probably was given instructions as to what to answer and what not to answer, but unless a CJ presence here is actually interested in providing regular, honest answers to questions put forth here, I'm not sure it's worth having just another mouthpiece...]
    EPN - Cautiously, but paranoically, optimistic.

ABW Ambassador
    I think Sayed Rahmatullah Hashemi would be a great spokesman for ValueClick/CJ. Mr. Rahmatullah did a bang up job as ambassador at large for the Taliban. Once he has a few quarters at Yale to brush up on his English, I think he would be in a prime position to convey the ValueClick corporate Message.

For that matter, I understand that Mr. Rahmatullah already knows how to say, "tracking was not affected."

Talking
    Or Saddam Insane. He said in court - I'm in charge - follow me.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

We could just get one of these and reprogram it:

http://store.yahoo.com/wickedcoolstuff/poinpa.html

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate_Chicken
    We could just get one of these and reprogram it:

http://store.yahoo.com/wickedcoolstuff/poinpa.html
    LOL

... and you think with these posts ValueClick will assign someone real?

Reap something sow, something, something how does that go again??
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

For real. I, after reading at this board, would not apply. My pay would have to be increased so much I would be sitting off with Todd somewhere having a drink.

I don't hope the next person feels this welcome.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

You reap what you sow...

I would like to see David Elam come back if he is still with CJ.

He answered in a very straightforward manner. I think that had a lot to do with why CJ brought spin master Todd in, though. David did not spin anything. But, his answers, at least, made sense.

He was just a programmer or some such, I think, not a PR person. But, I don't know if he is still around, I think he was told not to post after Todd became the CJ rep. I do not know that to be the case but it sure seemed that way.

And, you are right. You reap what you sow. They took away someone who was actually doing a good and credible job of answering affiliate questions and gave us a PR and spin person. Then, they wondered why their credibility took a dive.

Of course, the fact that CJ adopted some pretty unpopular policies along with all the "helpful" upgrades and the affiliation with parasites on Todd's watch didn't help much, either.

I think they could have an acceptable rep as long as the rep isn't expected to play us.

Note: I think I have the name right but it has been a few years. But, you old timers know who I mean.
    Last edited by SSanf; March 17th, 2006 at 02:21 AM.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

If you know Todd, you know that he wasn't a mouthpiece. He wasn't instructed on what to say. CJ and VCLK trusted him to do the right thing.

Todd wasn't assigned. He was here because he wanted to be here (as was I).

I doubt there will be anyone given the task to come here an post like Todd did. It's possible that someone will step up, and that person would need VCLK's full confidence. I could be wrong, but I don't see that happening either.

Quote Originally Posted by sjangro
    he wasn't a mouthpiece. He wasn't instructed on what to say. CJ and VCLK trusted him to do the right thing.
    Even if true, not instructed and trusted are not mutually exclusive with being a mouthpiece.

He was a mouthpiece.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

I was responding specifically to dharding's use of the word: "I'm not sure it's worth having just another mouthpiece" and the implications that went along with that.

Sure, if you want to throw the dictionary at me, you can call him a mouthpiece. But I'm not going to argue semantics with you.

People can trash Todd all they want now that he won't be responding, but I have to agree with Scott.

I had hoped this post would prompt someone from CJ to step forward, but after some of these posts I'm sure they will think twice.

Come on folks, lets encourage CJ to bring someone in here and not scare them away. Reserve your comments for the new person and please give them a chance to test drive the forum before you jump all over them.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by sjangro
    But I'm not going to argue semantics with you.
    Words mean things. They are the tools of thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by 7-days
    I had hoped this post would prompt someone from CJ to step forward, but after some of these posts I'm sure they will think twice.
    I think we can all agree that it would be nice if someone does step forward. But, are you willing to accept anyone at all? Truthfully, I think if they are just going to be a CJ apologist, that is useless and probably worse than no one at all. I am hoping for someone straight forward, honest and forthright who does not pay with semantics. I want someone who will provide informed and accurate information with no PR spin attached. If we can get that, it can greatly assist everyone including CJ.

But, if all you want is a live poster well fine and dandy with me. I am sure you can find someone since anyone will do.
    Quote Originally Posted by dharding
    Don't get me wrong; I'm sure Todd's a nice guy, and probably was given instructions as to what to answer and what not to answer, but unless a CJ presence here is actually interested in providing regular, honest answers to questions put forth here, I'm not sure it's worth having just another mouthpiece...
    I totally agree
    Last edited by SSanf; March 17th, 2006 at 10:53 AM.

Think for a second, who would be in the best position to address the concerns here. An Advertiser rep or a Publisher rep?

Network Quality would be my best guess. If fault is found with either a publisher or advertiser, NQ should be able to act without bias to initiate action. As Scott mentioned they would need the VC buy in.

I think one has to remember that any rep from any company or network is going to try to look out for their company's interest when they post here. Very few ever give us the whole truth or the whole story as it would be bad PR for their company if they admitted to all that goes on on the back end.

I just want to give someone at CJ the opportunity to be the voice for CJ and perhaps give us information and insight we would not get through normal channels. But more important, I think we should not be prejuding this person here in this tread before they have announced or had an opportunity to prove themselves.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Someone from Network Quality might be nice since they really SHOULD be informed and able to answer questions.

Is courage under fire a required qualification for that job?

No one is prejudging anyone. We are stating the qualities that we hope to find in Todd's successor should there ever be one.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by 7-days
    Personally, I don't think the hostility of the board is the problem. I think being an interface with entrepreneurs would be a fun job. I suspect that both Valueclick and Linkshare have corporate cultures that are really at odds with the entrepreneurial spirit.

The person who tries to be an interface with the public at CJ has the problem of trying to span the gap between two cultures that are completely at odds with one another. VCLK is an elitist organization that sees it affiliates at trailer trash that they exploit on the quest for dominance of ecommerce.

If the world view of VLCK was that we were partners engaged in a mutually beneficial activity, then both the tone of the interchange between affiliates and the network would be different and people would be bowling over eachother to be part of the process.

I admire both Scott and Todd for trying to span the gap between cultures. The sad fact is that anyone trying to work as a liaison between VCLK and the world is pretty playing the same game as the former Taliban bmbassador at large. So, I say hire the former Taliban Abassador at large. He already knows how to do this.

Anybody who's ever approached Todd in regard to test purchases that failed to track has found him to be a "brick wall" or a "trap door floor".

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by yintercept
    Personally, I don't think the hostility of the board is the problem.

[...]

VCLK is an elitist organization that sees it affiliates at trailer trash that they exploit on the quest for dominance of ecommerce.
    uh....

How about whom ever they get to do it, their name remains TODD? Less confusing
    Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by chetf
    uh....
    Yes, Chet. I know you despise me. We've established this in the past.

I will try to restate, but I know it is impossible. Look at the news. We now live in a world where it is no longer possible to communicate.

If the people at the head of the networks were really and truly excited about building an affiliate network, then the job of participating in ABW would be extremely fun. For that matter, I believe that the affiliate managers for those merchants that are really and truly excited about building mutually beneficial relations have a fun time communicating with affiliates.

I suspect, however, that VLCK and Linkshare are dominated by the modern corporate mindset. The top dogs at VCLK are into buying up businesses and appear to be trying to position their company as the one company that will "dominate ecommerce."

Putting this in business speak. Corporate VLCK and the affiliate world are on different paradigms. ecomcity keeps calling this the "advertising mindset". I think it is something a little different. It is more akin to Main Street v. Wall Street.

Basically, the Todds and Scots who are trying to interface between the big networks and the affiliate community have this massive cultural divide that they must cross. The result is that they come off as apologists and mouth pieces and not as authentic people.

Trying to communicate across a massive gap in cultures is not fun.

I keep bringing up this argument because I think that if VLCK really had been interested in building affiliate marketing, their company would have been more successful and we would have been more successful. Instead, VLCK ended up doing a large number of things that undermined its support base.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast