Question Anyone use Ebay?
    Does anyone use ebay as the medium to sell products for affiliates? I guess one could get burned if they weren't very careful, but if I knew what my commission would be and the discounted appropriately taking into account all ebay fees, why I bet I could make as much as .25 - .50 . Seriously, anyone every do this? Either by store on ebay or auction/buy it now?

Thanks for your time.

no. seems like a waste of time, not to mention it's prolly against the tos.

The margin is not very high for most affiliate products which would discourage Ebay I think. However, if you are running auctions anyway you might as well throw some links in the ad back to your site, especially if the products are similar.

It's against the rules at eBay to put links back to another site, but you can write something compelling in the About Me section and then offer further information. Set that email address to an autoresponder with the info plus your newsletter sign-up link and a link to your site. If you're trying to build a list or traffic, the fact that you're only making a dime (or even losing one) might be worth the effort of setting up.

I have seen a lot of people make a lot of money selling Overstock products on ebay http://www.rocketauctions.com/ comes to mind. They basically buy Overstock items and add a certain $$$ to each item. One items sells on Overstock for $61.99 and they are selling it for $160.00.

I was wondering about this stuff myself... Thanks for the thread... I'll give you a bump to the top.

Love You,
    HumbleFish

Is the lower overstock price due to lower traffic on Overstock auctions, or do items usually sell for the same on both despite less visibility?

You might also look into a previous thread by Geno over at Russian Legacy. He was discussing their droppshipping options for ebay sellers.

Quote Originally Posted by nLoBushwack
    Is the lower overstock price due to lower traffic on Overstock auctions, or do items usually sell for the same on both despite less visibility?
    Overstock is basically an Amazon clone but buy their stock from companies/shops going out of business, plus a lot of their stock is returned inventory. They have some great bargains and they also have a area where you can buy bulk and get good savings. Overstock do have an auction section but the items I am referring to are purchased cheaply in bulk and passed on through Ebay to people who don't know better!

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleFish
    I was wondering about this stuff myself... Thanks for the thread... I'll give you a bump to the top.

Love You,
    HumbleFish
    I think i meant something different. If you knew what your commission was and the ebay fees. You could simply take a smaller commission and sell the item.

Logistically I don't know how this would work because they item would still have to be bought for the price the merchant sells it for. And I don't think I could buy it because then I would be buying from myself, and I am not sure that is okay. I also don't mean anything to violate any terms of service anywhere if the affiliate world. I just don't know and thought I would ask.

Is this what you mean?
    On an item which normally sells for $100...say you make 20% commision.

You 'sell' the item on ebay for $90. You order the item & have it sent to the 'winner'. You effectively make $10 commision instead of the normal $20.

I think something like this would be against both merchants and e-bays TOS.

People do something similar to this though, all the time. They 'sell' their affiliate coupon links on e-bay for $1 or some other low price, getting their commision plus the e-bay amount. I think this is not supposed to be allowed, but people do it all the time. Just search on ebay for 'dell coupon'. It's not something I would try though.

Quote Originally Posted by simcat
    Is this what you mean?
    On an item which normally sells for $100...say you make 20% commision.

You 'sell' the item on ebay for $90. You order the item & have it sent to the 'winner'. You effectively make $10 commision instead of the normal $20.

I think something like this would be against both merchants and e-bays TOS.

People do something similar to this though, all the time. They 'sell' their affiliate coupon links on e-bay for $1 or some other low price, getting their commision plus the e-bay amount. I think this is not supposed to be allowed, but people do it all the time. Just search on ebay for 'dell coupon'. It's not something I would try though.
    I won't, but why would the merchant care if they make the same amount of money?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyWebAffiliate
    I won't, but why would the merchant care if they make the same amount of money?
    I think one of the reasons merchants pay the costs to have an affiliate program is to open up new traffic sources and promotion methods.
    If they wanted their products sold on ebay, they could do it themselves (some do) and save the aff. commission.

Arbitrage
    Quote Originally Posted by JJJay
    I have seen a lot of people make a lot of money selling Overstock products on ebay http://www.rocketauctions.com/ comes to mind. They basically buy Overstock items and add a certain $$$ to each item. One items sells on Overstock for $61.99 and they are selling it for $160.00.
    Gotta love thos arbitrage opportunities (no risk profit).

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread