Take a look at eBay's chargeback percentage (reversed leads). In May 2002 it was about 12%. In August 2002, it's about 38%. It has been steadily increasing each month.

Why do you suppose this is? Is eBay finding newer and better ways to mark a lead as "unqualified"? Is it just that more and more people are joining but not bidding?

I personally think that as a show of good faith, eBay should delete the accounts of all unqualified leads. Since the quality of merchandise on eBay in the summer is pretty low (many of the categories I browse have 50% less stuff now), maybe that's why people aren't bidding after registering, but eBay still gets that person as a potential future customer, and has the ability to prod them in October or November with an e-mail reminding them that they're still a member, and that its now time for a little Christmas shopping.

Ralph

Does anyone know of other merchants with a chargeback percentage that high? Isn't this a bit out of line?

ABW Ambassador
    >>I personally think that as a show of good faith, eBay should delete the accounts of all unqualified leads.

Bad customer service, that is. If I register at ebay and don't bid for 30 days, that doesn't mean I want my account closed.

You also have to look at your personal reversal rate as opposed to the network reversal rate -- not everyone's reversal rate is 38% (mine, for June, is under 10%).

If you know summer is a bad time for this merchant on your site, consider not promoting them during those months.

If your chargeback rate is 10%, that means that someone else's is 70% (doing overly simplistic math). That's scary that someone can achieve a 70% failure rate for such a simple program. All you (allegedly) need to do as a lead is register and then bid. If you're just going to browse, there's no need to register. So why would 70% of the people coming from a particular site be convinced to register, but refuse to bid?

Ralph

Is it true that the only reason to register is to bid? I recall clicking on a seller's ID and getting asked to sign-in/register first before I could see anything.

ABW Ambassador
    >>So why would 70% of the people coming from a particular site be convinced to register, but refuse to bid?<<

Well I don't know the full story, but consider all the incent bidding that ebay recently canned. People were allowed to promote ebay through their own various nickel and dime programs where the end-user would get paid (by the affiliate, not ebay), just for registering. The old "get paid to read email" type incent. So the end-user's motivation is to get that payment from the affiliate, not to bid at ebay.

And since they only recently canned incent registrations, I'd wager some of the incenters haven't bothered with removing ebay leads. So they probably have 100% reversals.

Also consider those who promote rare items that only come up on ebay occassionally. The end-user registers only to find out there is NO available product, no reason to bid. Do they bother checking again within 30 days? Not if they haven't been instructed to do so or if they don't remember those instructions.

And depending on how the site is promoted, it is completely conceivable that there are people out there who believe they have to register to do ANYTHING at the site. So they register, don't see what they are looking for (or don't understand the system or just forget they registered) and so they don't bid.

I'm sure there are tons more reasons, but those are a few off the top of my head.

>>Is it true that the only reason to register is to bid?<<

As far as I can see, you can look at everything without registering... but I may be missing something.

>>>As far as I can see, you can look at everything without registering... but I may be missing something.
    Can't get any info about another user and/or send them messages w/o logging in...

Hmm. I had a friend who had never been to ebay and wanted to buy something click through and register and bid (and win) early July. I see his lead, and, its currently Extended. Sigh.

I just mention because in this case I know 100% that the lead was qualified....

[ 08-16-2002: Message edited by: Nebufil ]

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    You said: "Does anyone know of other merchants with a chargeback percentage that high? Isn't this a bit out of line?"

EHobbies rans 100% reversals for April -May -June then dropped to 55% for July. eCost.com averages 58% for the network and has reversed 27,888 in sales from my Cybermall customers since Jan 1st. Now these crooks are product not lead mercchants. CJ sure refuses to take action for this commission thievery.

ABW Ambassador
    >> I see his lead, and, its currently Extended. Sigh. I just mention because in this case I know 100% that the lead was qualified....<<

All eBay leads are automatically extended, so there's no cause for concern... now if got reversed, that's another story.

ABW Ambassador
    I am with Cedric on this one. Ebay does great for us. Has ever since they allowed direct linking to auctions.

Do we get some reversals? Sure. But I understand why and our rate is under 40%, and even with a near 40% reversal, it is our highest converting program.

Chet

eBay.ca : 0% reversed, 0% extended.

Why the difference?

ABW Ambassador
    >>Why the difference?

No bid requirement. I believe that's also true of ebay.co.uk, ebay.com.au, and any others that are floating around.

My guess, and this is PURELY a guess, is when those sites meet some pre-determined criteria, they'll switch over to registration+bid, as well.

Yeah, always extended, but on that partcular lead there was a bid made in early July.. should it take this long? I wasn't alarmed just yet.. just watching it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    June is sitting at 30%. 4 out of 12 reversed. I don't overly promote them though.

Nebufil: Was your lead sent from a US bidder?

For my July eBay leads, they show 6 extended leads, 1 locked lead. In June, when the checks came out, I had 3 locked leads. I also had an extra $15 in my check (above and beyond the June sales & May leads). So it does appear as though some leads get locked instantly.

I also finally dug out the e-mail that I received from the eBay.ca program. Here's my question:

My question is, does the eBay.ca program disqualify leads that are from countries other than Canada? Does the eBay.com do the same? How about eBay.co.uk?

Here's their reply:

It is one big eBay, however, we are now paying for leads generated from the country that the visitor originates from.. so if 'you're from Canada, click here to sign up for eBay.ca' will generate a commision for you if they click on one of the eBay.ca Affiliates banners in our program.

That's heavy doubletalk, but it seems to imply that if someone from Canada clicks and registers on my eBay.com link (instead of my eBay.ca link), they will not show up as a qualified lead. This is not spelled out in the program rules.

Ralph

ABW Ambassador
    June for me was 1 reversal in 30 transactions. However, that includes the 5c sales. Take those out and I have one reversal in 10 $5 leads.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    We definitely need some cold, hard facts from eBay about exactly who they'll pay out for.

Do they pay if someone in Australia joins eBay USA and bids?

What about if the surfer is in India?

What about those that join and decide to SELL rather than buy. I hate that they APPEAR to be getting that traffic from me for FREE.

Haiko, have you offered a forum here for the eBay affiliate manager? :^)

Well, as my e-mail from the eBay.ca program implies, I think that if someone from Austrailia joins eBay.com through your link, you are not credited with a qualified lead. That seems to be what is meant when this eBay.ca rep said:

so if 'you're from Canada, click here to sign up for eBay.ca' will generate a commision for you if they click on one of the eBay.ca Affiliates banners in our program

This says that a lead will be generated for a Canadian visitor if they click the eBay.ca link. Although it does not definitively say so, this strongly implies that if they're from Canada and click eBay.com, no commission is generated for that lead, and if they're from the US and they click on the eBay.ca link, no commission is generated for that lead either.

Also, since the program says that a user must become active by bidding, it would seem as though registering and then posting an item for sale does not qualify the lead. Because if selling qualified the lead, the program would say that, right?

Ralph

Well, as my e-mail from the eBay.ca program implies, I think that if someone from Austrailia joins eBay.com through your link, you are not credited with a qualified lead. That seems to be what is meant when this eBay.ca rep said:

so if 'you're from Canada, click here to sign up for eBay.ca' will generate a commision for you if they click on one of the eBay.ca Affiliates banners in our program

This says that a lead will be generated for a Canadian visitor if they click the eBay.ca link. Although it does not definitively say so, this strongly implies that if they're from Canada and click eBay.com, no commission is generated for that lead, and if they're from the US and they click on the eBay.ca link, no commission is generated for that lead either.

Also, since the program says that a user must become active by bidding, it would seem as though registering and then posting an item for sale does not qualify the lead. Because if selling qualified the lead, the program would say that, right?

Ralph

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread