Just got this from one of my affiliates-I cannot find anything about it anywhere, but better safe than sorry. :eek:

PAY ATTENTION TO THIS ONE......

Worst Virus ever.....CNN announced.

PLEASE SEND THIS TO EVERYONE ON YOUR CONTACT LIST !!

A new virus has just been discovered that has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive ever! This virus was discovered yesterday afternoon by McAfee and no vaccine has yet been developed. This virus simply destroys Sector Zero from the hard disk, where vital information for its functioning
    are stored. This virus acts in the following manner: It sends itself automatically to all contacts on your list with the title " A Card
    for You. " As soon as the supposed virtual card is opened, the computer freezes so that the user has to reboot. When the trl+alt+del keys or the reset button are pressed, the virus destroys Sector Zero, thus permanently destroying the hard disk. Yesterday in just a few hours this virus caused panic in New York, according to news broadcast by CNN. This alert was received by an employee of Microsoft itself. So don't open any mails with subject:"A Virtual Card for You. "As soon as you get the mail, delete it. Even
    if you know the sender !!! Please pass this mail to all of your friends. Forward this to everyone in your address book. I'm sure most people, like myself, would rather receive this 25 times than not at all. Also: Intel announced that a new and very destructive virus was discovered recently. If you receive an email called " An Internet Flower For You, "do not open it. Delete it right away! This virus removes all dynamic link libraries (.DLL files) from your computer. Your computer will not be able to boot up !!

Thank you,

ABW Ambassador
    The good news is -- that one's a hoax. Virtual Card Hoax

Thanks-that's one less virus that I have to look out for.

ABW Ambassador
    So...this virus has no 'vaccine' :rolleyes:

Shoot. You almost got me there Monstrphil. :eek:

The hoaxes are fairly easy to spot:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>It's always the "worst ever".
    <LI>There is always "no known cure".
    <LI>It will usually wipe all your software, burn out the PC and kill the cat.
    <LI>Warnings are alleged to come from CNN/AOL/IBM/Microsoft or Government agencies.
    <LI>There are lots of CAPITALS and exclamation marks!!!
    <LI>The speling is often rong.
    <LI>It urges you to send the warning to everyone.[/list]

A genuine warning will usually have a link to a page on an AV vendor site or other site such as CERT, Incidents.Org etc - although some hoaxes now try to do the same (but they only would list www.microsoft.com as the reference)

ABW Ambassador
    I work in IT, and in my experience the big guys like Microsoft NEVER send out virus alerts - Dynamoo's right on every point.

We get our anti virus software from http://www.sophos.com (this is not an afilliate link - I make no money), who regularly post details of the latest hoaxes on their site.

In effect, the mails themselves are a virus, 'cos they clog up mail servers and soak up bandwidth as they bounce endlessly around the globe.

The best way to put an end to the originator's fun is NOT to forward it to everyone in your address book as suggested, check with a reliable source first, as above, then dump the mail in the trash!

You can find a description of the WORST virus in the world on My Site (deliberate spam [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] )

Microdot, the WORST virus on your site one of the funniest things I've read [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Thanx mousejockey [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] If you like it, tell your friends (yet more deliberate spam [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] )

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread