Question Do IFrames cause sales loss?
    Been thinking of using Iframes to pull together some stores on one site, but thought it might cost sales. Do IFrames keep cookies from working? As long as my CJ URL ID is the initial link to the page, it needs the cookie to track it doesn't it? I mean if the user goes to the main site or a specific item, doesn't buy that item (or just looks around), the cookie is what tracks throughout the site, right?

Thanks for commenting.

IFrames can definitely interfere with third-party cookies. It also makes for a very confusing customer experience. I wouldn't recommend them.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    IFrames can definitely interfere with third-party cookies. It also makes for a very confusing customer experience. I wouldn't recommend them.

The initial iframe is loaded with the CJ link, but still clearly not the merchant's site. It *looks" pretty seemless, but I understand what you are saying. I really don't know how to test if I would lose sales, however.

Thanks.

Talking
    Why not just put your navigation in an iframe to go to the regular page that has your affiliate link ???

I do that and my pages will set affiliate cookies on my computer.

If it will set them on my computer it will set them on your computer too.

Why not click on your own links and see if they are setting the cookie on your computer ??

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    Why not just put your navigation in an iframe to go to the regular page that has your affiliate link ???

I do that and my pages will set affiliate cookies on my computer.

If it will set them on my computer it will set them on your computer too.

Why not click on your own links and see if they are setting the cookie on your computer ??

I'm not sure what you first question means. Sorry. But I will think about it and maybe I will get it. Thank you.

I did that last part. I deleted it and it came back when I opened my page. It has myusername@cuc.thedomain[1].txt. I do not know what cuc means, but I am hoping it means Commission Junction.

Talking
    You said that you were putting your cj link in the iframe.

I assumed that you had a page for each product you sell on your site.

Put the cj link on the product page and send them to the different products with navigation in an iframe.

You know - list the stores in the iframe and let the store links in the iframe send your customers to the store or product pages on your site. Then - have your cj link in the store the iframe link sent them to.

If all you have is pages of links - you have nothing but a link farm - and you are wasting your time.

Show them the products and have a buy link with each product that has your cj affiliate id.

You said that you were putting your cj link in the iframe.

I assumed that you had a page for each product you sell on your site.

Put the cj link on the product page and send them to the different products with navigation in an iframe.

You know - list the stores in the iframe and let the store links in the iframe send your customers to the store or product pages on your site. Then - have your cj link in the store the iframe link sent them to.

If all you have is pages of links - you have nothing but a link farm - and you are wasting your time.

Show them the products and have a buy link with each product that has your cj affiliate id.
    It's not a link farm, as I underst the term anyway. I am using CMS (DotNetNuke). It has an IFrame module. Rather than pull the results from feeds from all my merchants, I have a menu that has the store names on it. The store then comes up in the IFrame. I also have in the menu sub parts of the store like store->men's shirts (or the like). Thanks for your help!

Talking
    If the iframe is a page on your site with a page name and etc. the link should track OK.

If the iframe page is a iframe of a page from the merchants site - you can't do that (loading a page from the merchant's site in your iframe) - you will be forced setting cookies and the merchants will boot you out of their programs.

If the customer has to actually click on your link - in your iframe page from your site - and that physical click on your page sends them to the merchant's site - then you should be alright.

If the iframe is a page on your site with a page name and etc. the link should track OK.

If the iframe page is a iframe of a page from the merchants site - you can't do that (loading a page from the merchant's site in your iframe) - you will be forced setting cookies and the merchants will boot you out of their programs.

If the customer has to actually click on your link - in your iframe page from your site - and that physical click on your page sends them to the merchant's site - then you should be alright.
    Take a page from the site. It has a Iframe in the middle. In that Iframe is the merchant's site. Surrounding the IFrame is my site. The Iframe is their site without leaving mine. The will never leave my site by loading the IFrame.

It is clearly still my site. It is also clear that their site is in the frame.

I'm don't know what "forced setting cookies" means, but it looks like I am violating what you said, but I am not sure. I really don't know what an IFrame is for then or how it could ever be used. Maybe I could post it in the site review, but I don't want to get into trouble. I would like to know what you are saying though.

I put the site in site review. Maybe if you aren't real busy.... Thanks if you have time. If not that's okay too. I can't ask too much.

Talking
    When you load a merchant's page in an iframe on your site you are doing the same thing as forcing a click on the merchant's page.

When your iframe on your site loads the merchant's page on your page on your site the merchant's site thinks that a person has clicked a link from you to them on your site and this causes the merchant's site to set a cookie on the computer of your customer that loaded your page and that is called a forced click - or cookie stuffing.

You cannot do that.

Go here http://www.benedelman.org/cookiestuffing/

Any go here http://www.benedelman.org/cookiestuffing/#examples

Read what on the two links above and you'ss see what I'm talking about.

When you load a merchant's page in an iframe on your site you are doing the same thing as forcing a click on the merchant's page.

When your iframe on your site loads the merchant's page on your page on your site the merchant's site thinks that a person has clicked a link from you to them on your site and this causes the merchant's site to set a cookie on the computer of your customer that loaded your page and that is called a forced click - or cookie stuffing.

You cannot do that.

Go here http://www.benedelman.org/cookiestuffing/

Any go here http://www.benedelman.org/cookiestuffing/#examples

Read what on the two links above and you'ss see what I'm talking about.
    Thanks I changed it. I kept two links at the top that require explicit clicking. I do not think it is a violation (but am willing to learn again).

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Anyway we can talk you into posting your question just once. I see you started at least 3 separate threads yesterday about this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    Anyway we can talk you into posting your question just once. I see you started at least 3 separate threads yesterday about this issue.

Yes, but I cannot have my site reviewed in this forum and the only way I could understand was to have it seen and commented on. I also thought they were different enought to justify different threads. I will put them together next time.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread