Is it worth it?
    Dose anyone advertise their website on a vehicle?

Is it even worth it?

On my old SUV, I had a logo made up for one of my sites, and had it on the back window. Once in awhile people would inquire about it, but there is no real way to gauge how many visitors it really brings in, if any.

I have a new SUV, and am trying to decide if I should do it again or not.
    Just a squirrel trying to get a nut, in the Internet jungle.

ABW Ambassador
    Can't hurt.

Internet Cowboy
    I do this and am satisfied that it works. I don't measure the number of people who ask me about it, rather the number of sales I get resulting from clicks I get to the merchant from the home page of the site I plug on my car.

I tow this car behind my motorhome and am considering a complete wrap that would really draw attention to the car. My motorhome will have advertising on it as soon as I can decide exactly what I want to do on it.

Thanks for the input. I feel the same way, It cant hurt no matter how many visitors it brings in.

Now if someone can convince my wife, who thinks it just tacky the same thing, Im good to go.

ABW Ambassador
    The only thing that would possibly need checking is to see if it would affect auto insurance rates, having a "commercial" type message on the vehicle. I've heard a little bit about that at one time involving a change of status from personal to business use, but it may vary from state to state and from company to company - and also may be different for something that's just online.

Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    Yes it does work, when I had one of my sites on my car all I had to do was check site logs and see exactly how many people logged in form my local region... Can't hurt, if anything it helps...

Put the name of your site on a bumper sticker.

That's what my bro did with his punk rock band
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

When me and my Husband had our glass blowing business(art glass) He made a wooden tailgate for my truck and routered our website into it and painted it real purty.

We definitely got visitors...too bad we weren't selling online then.

Someday...
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

ABW Ambassador
    I just recalled - years ago there was an MLM program that people actually did make money with, that used not only adverts on vehicles, but the people wore big buttons that got attention that read: "Lose weight and make money. Ask me how!"

It worked, people signed up and made money and bought product (and lost weight).

BUT tell ya what. Any moderately sized, home-made oatmeal cookie (recipe on Quaker box or any cookbook) eaten before a meal, accompanied by a full glass of water, will do just as well filling up the tummy, curbing appetite, eating smaller quantities and losing weight.

Depends on several things...

I'd guess people be more attentive depending on your brand. If your new SUV is a Porsche Cayenne, your website make more poeple curious, than, say, if it was a Hyundai Santa Fe. Also depends on what you're selling. Auto stuff would do better than general shopping.

Personally, I find it tacky as well. My car is for my personal enjoyment. I'll put stuff that'll boost my ego, and like SAMBAY as my plate number, but that's about.

ABW Ambassador
    "Also depends on what you're selling. Auto stuff would do better than general shopping."

I don't know about that. Don't know how many people are intersted in buying auto stuff, that for the most part is guy stuff. If you have a general shopping/coupon/deal type of site, everyone is a target.

I don't have anything on my car yet but when I do and if someone said something, I would just smile and say take a good look, it paid for the car and I work in lounge gear so nanananna

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Trying to Win

Is it even worth it?
    could help branding. but the message must be extremely short as anyone seeing it has only a split second in which it can register on their minds.

so color and contrast and copy . . . and careful domain name match, of course . . .

one of the times when shorter is best

It would probably work best with something of local interest (i.e. PhillyBurbs or a local company) or something of general interest. If you're in a pretty small niche, it's not very "targeted" advertising.

Also, a short, memorable domain name is essential for offline advertising. If it can be easily confused or is hard to spell or is long, it's a waste of your time. For instance, would you be able to remember Zeno-Guitar-Suppliez.net? Many domain names that work okay online (since they're linked to) are awful offline.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    The real key is to get your site's visitors/members to put your stickers on their cars
    Hi, I'm a signature.

Someone in marketing told me the magnets ads on the side of a car looks tacky - but bumper stickers or ads though the back car window can help create a buzz or at least bring in some general traffic. Also, a small memorable domain name helps. I am thinking of at least a sticker on the back of the car. Mostly my car is parked on the road, and I guess that will have some visibility.

it's worth it. but becareful with your citys laws find out how big is too big etc.

Back in 1999 I registered a domain LinguaBooks.com (just checked it, and now some German company is using it for their language services), and started selling books on language learning. It was the same time that I started my translation business. So both went hand-in-hand...

I made two huge magnetic stickets and put them on the sides of my Honda Accord. They read something like this: "FREE Language Instruction" (as I had free lessons online then) and had a father-reading-a-book-to-his-daughter picture on it...

I drove that thing all around SC, NC, VA and MD for over a year...

Is it even worth it?
    1000000000% YES. Over a period of that one year I actually had people walking up to me in the parking lot and asking me: "Is it REALLY free? What's the catch?..." They asked me to market to them. And you can bet your bottom dollar I did...

It was fun. This question brought back memories. Memories of my first marketing endeavors....... Fun. And yes, totally worth it! DO IT!!

Good luck!

Geno

I think it works with short links that are easy to remember or catchy domains that people will remember. Like some others said, "it couldn't hurt". It's a inexpensive way to promote your site that can reach a wide audience depending where you live and how much you drive. Perhaps a flashy logo or font would help catch attention as well.
    [B]Jon Lyons[/B]
    Director of Affiliate Operations
    [EMAIL="jon.lyons@fluxads.com"][SIZE=1]jon.lyons@fluxads.com[/SIZE][/EMAIL][SIZE=1] | 1-877-GO-2-FLUX | [URL="http://www.fluxads.com/"]FluxAds.com[/URL][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]LinkedIn: [URL]http://www.linkedin.com/in/jrlyons[/URL][/SIZE]

Thanks to everyone for their awesome insights on the subject, its very interesting. Im going to do it with one of my short domains, that will be easy for people to remember.

Another thing to keep in mind... Make sure you are a friendly driver if you're going to advertise on your vehicle. If you cut people off or drive like a maniac, it'll be bad advertising.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Another thing to keep in mind... Make sure you are a friendly driver if you're going to advertise on your vehicle. If you cut people off or drive like a maniac, it'll be bad advertising.
    LOL, and try not to pick your nose while driving.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    LOL, and try not to pick your nose while driving.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    When I had it on my previous SUV, and something happened in traffic, I always wondered if Id get a nasty email from it. No one ever did register a complaint. I dont drive too crazy, but some people like to complain about everything. It was always in the back of my mind. Having it there probably makes me a more considerate driver.

ABW Ambassador
    I just remembered something about my last car... I had 5% tint on the rear 3 windows & had a large die cut decal of a domain name across the top of the back window. The decal got a little damaged, so I removed it & it looked like it discolored the glass or the tint, as if the rest of it faded, except where the decal was. You couldn't really see it until it was wet from glass cleaner (I wonder if the guy I sold it to ever noticed)

I think the same thing can happen w/ magnets on paint as far as the fading goes. Plus, from what I hear, if you get a little dust or dirt under the magnet, just like w/ car bras, the vibrations from normal driving can cause all sorts of scratches...
    Hi, I'm a signature.

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread