View Poll Results: How do you like your tutorials?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • html based

12 37.50%
  • Word Doc you can download

4 12.50%
  • Text Doc you can download

0 0%
  • Flash Presentation

8 25.00%
  • Power Point Presentation

3 9.38%
  • Power Point Presentation with sound (big files!)

0 0%
  • Podcast

0 0%
  • Videos

7 21.88%
  • Screenshots that walk me through EVERYTHING

16 50.00%
  • With a slice of lemon and a stiff shot

8 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    http and a telephoto
    Tutorials?
    How do you like tutorials? Html based? Power Point Presentions? Podcasts? None of the above? I have to start creating A LOT of tutorials and need to know what people will respond to most.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Good one, Lox. Where's the poll? "Yes", "no" and "I don't care" should be there for the options...

http and a telephoto
    Geno, you posted while I was creating the poll. Yes no and I don't care don't apply If you don't care, I don't care either....

I have ideas... but want to know what people will actually USE...
    Deborah Carney

Good options.

I was teasing you, Deb.

I would say just html with screenshots. It also depends on the type of tutorial.

Matt

My two cents: the original post starts with "How do you like tutorials?" Then we go into the types of tutorials... But are we sure they like 'em in the first place? Maybe we should have a separate thread on just "Do you like tutorials?" (with YES and NO as voting options)...

Deb: I voted for the lemon and the shot. I have the classic male fallibilty of never reading guides, or maps, or tax returns. I just play til I break. When someone holds me at gunpoint, I prefer anything interactive, regardless of the delivery method.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    HTML primarily, because they can easily be accessed with a browser without having to open any other software. Also, for printing purposes if applicable.

I also included a vote for screenshots (or other types of illustrations), since those are very helpful for some things, like making graphics for instance.

Internet Cowboy
    What Webworker said. A hybrid of HTML and screenshots.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    What Webworker said. A hybrid of HTML and screenshots.
    Since I voted "stiff shot with a twist" I'll enter a third vote for HTML with screenshots :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    My two cents: the original post starts with "How do you like tutorials?" Then we go into the types of tutorials... But are we sure they like 'em in the first place? Maybe we should have a separate thread on just "Do you like tutorials?" (with YES and NO as voting options)...
    Read again Geno, it says "How do you like YOUR tutorials". I'll clarify, I am assuming people like tutorials, I am asking how they like them presented... I was thinking that something downloadable that people could refer to offline might be useful, but it seems that most people prefer to just see things online.

Keep voting, this is interesting and could save me a lot of work
    Deborah Carney

ABW Ambassador
    I was thinking that something downloadable that people could refer to offline might be useful, but it seems that most people prefer to just see things online.
    Not me for online, I like things dummied down and printed out for use offline, so if I need to, I can refer to the hard copy next to me as I work on the "project" or whatever online.

ABW Ambassador
    Well, if it's going to be a tutorial for me, then I would prefer a tutorial with Screenshots that walk me through EVERYTHING
    The Best Forums
    Nothing in the world can take the place of persistance
    . Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistance and determination are omnipotent.
    Abestweb Store

I totally agree with the screenshots - I can have someone explain something to me over and over, but unless I really see it in action, I usually don't get it.

http and a telephoto
    Looks like I need to fire up Paint Shop Pro and wear out the print screen button
    Deborah Carney

OOOPS just realized was an old POST, LOL GethsemeneRose's Avatar
    SCREENSHOTS on Downloadable Powerpoint would be FANTASTIC. (as you already know I think the tutorials on CP are ... a little confusing although having your instant response to all my mistakes has definitly aided the lack of good tutorials) the other thing is you need to make the tutorials available SIDE by side with the program (right now if you go over to tutorials section you are leaving the area you are trying to work if you could have BOTH open at the same time would be great that is why the DOWNLOAD would be useful)
    :gnome: [URL]www.gethsemenerose.com[/URL] :gnome: As for me and my SITE we shall serve the LORD!

Not sure if this is only for people who are in your program or not but I love tutorials. I know....boring lol I agree with the others and prefer the screenshots best because I can see exactly what you're talking about and it's easier to learn that way.

Thanks for the poll Loxly. I had my video tutorials on the front burner for a while, but there has been a decided lack-of-interest in them, so I've backed off. I guess I just need some folks to say they would use it. For now, it's HTML with screenshots.

Fred

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by purplebear
    Not sure if this is only for people who are in your program or not but I love tutorials. I know....boring lol I agree with the others and prefer the screenshots best because I can see exactly what you're talking about and it's easier to learn that way.
    Not just for my program, I think we all need to know what works and what doesn't before we build out tutorials for anything. Like Fred says, if we make great video tuturials and people can not in the least, then why do that work?

I would love to make snazzy tuturials in a bunch of formats, but if people want html with screenshots.... guess what I will spend my time on?

Keep up with the feedback!
    Deborah Carney

Think it's great that you care enough about your affiliates to get their opinions on what they like best. I'm happy to give feedback to any of my affiliate managers

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by purplebear
    Think it's great that you care enough about your affiliates to get their opinions on what they like best.
    I always thought that was part of the job description Apparently not for some.... but anyway, I can't always give people what they want, but I can't give them what I don't *know* they want.... and why give them what they *don't* want (waste of time, I *hate* wasting time)?
    Deborah Carney

I prefer bullet points, do this, do that. Probably the sort of scrpit you'd work from yourself in making the tutorials. I can work most stuff out if I need to, I just get stuck at bottle-necks with new stuff.

I hate watching tutorials that say "click on the "self destruct" button on the navigation bar" and then watch a slow-motion cursor move to the appropraite place etc. etc.

I always catch on faster with html and screen shots. I can control the learning pace. I don't like flash or a moving presentation because I'll have
    to keep stopping it if I'm really new to a tutorial.
    --I hope this helps.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by lourlour
    I always catch on faster with html and screen shots. I can control the learning pace. I don't like flash or a moving presentation because I'll have
    to keep stopping it if I'm really new to a tutorial.
    --I hope this helps.
    Every opinion helps! Thanks...
    Deborah Carney

Camtasia

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast