View Poll Results: What's your email domain???

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Free - Yahoo.com, Gmail.com, Hotmail.com...

10 21.74%
  • MY ISP - Aol.com, Comcast.com....

5 10.87%
  • you@yourowndomain.com

31 67.39%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    What is your email address?
    We are developing some additional fraud filters and were wondering what type of email address you use with affiliate programs, free, ISP or hosted on a domain you own?
    Reha Kocatas - MagazineAgent.com
    Programs available on Commission Junction and ShareASale.com
    Highest Commissions on Magazine Subscriptions Visit the Magazine-Agent Affiliate Forum

poll, unfortunately, didn't allow for more than one possibility. I use my several ISPs plus some of my own domains.

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    I voted Yahoo! b/c I've had that email account for ages.. although I have an email at AvantLink as well..

Definately need more than one option. I use my domains for business, but keep a couple of freebies avail for all the friends and family jokes, warnings, etc. that multiply overnight.

I use my own for most, but I have my spam filter set real high, so for some affiliate programs I use yahoo or gmail.

I think he's talking about just the email address you use to apply for affiliate programs. I'm sure we all have tons of other email addresses.

I always use my email address at my site's domain.

I've been surprised at how many merchants, affiliate managers, and store owners who use Yahoo.com or ISP email addresses. It's kind of understandable with affiliates, because many are hobbyists, but I didn't expect it with merchants. I expect merchants to have a more professional appearance.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I use Google / Yahoo email addresses for most of my affiliate correspondence. Not sure how much negaitive impact it has by not using the website domain email address. And I totally avoid using any address of the Dial up / DSL provider - I once got stuck with such address and the only reason I was not able to switch to another provider was because of that email. It is like being stuck with AOL.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I think he's talking about just the email address you use to apply for affiliate programs. I'm sure we all have tons of other email addresses.
    That was what I was referring to. To be frank we were considering disallowing the use of free emails in the future. This would eliminate the source of 99% of our affiliate fraud. I am trying to gage how much this would p*ss off/alienate potential affiliates. At the very least we would disclose that affiliates using these addresses would be subject to greater scrutiny of their application.

It's {the use of free emails} kind of understandable with affiliates, because many are hobbyists.
    Yes..but INMO...these days you can get a custom email address for just a few dollars a year. I would expect any decent/active affiliate to 1)be able to set it up, 2) have a domain of their own and 3)find this to be a fully justifiable cost as it will go a long way in furthering their business interests. To me it almost strikes me as the stamp of a serious affiliate.
    I've been surprised at how many merchants, affiliate managers, and store owners who use Yahoo.com or ISP email addresses....I didn't expect it with merchants. I expect merchants to have a more professional appearance.
    I agree. I think it is unacceptable and as an affiliate it would tell me how little they are really willing to spend on technology and invest in other aspects of their program.
    Highest Commissions on Magazine Subscriptions Visit the Magazine-Agent Affiliate Forum

ABW Ambassador
    I have several id's but mostly use my yahoo mail
    The Best Forums
    Nothing in the world can take the place of persistance
    . Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistance and determination are omnipotent.
    Abestweb Store

I use hotmail but its not a freebie account, I pay for it to get more storage and better spam filters.
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

I use Yahoo because they have great spam filters and much better than I can or want to fool with on my own.

One less thing.
    Last edited by MichaelColey; March 22nd, 2006 at 10:07 AM. Reason: fixed typo that totally changed the meaning (use vs. sue)
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    All Three. I need all 3.

For most email, my isp.

For spammy stuff, a disposable freebie like yahoo.

For sites, a domain address that forwards to my isp, typed on a GIF so it must be manually entered.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Definitely give the applicants with free email addresses more scrutiny (especially when they earn their first payment), but I wouldn't mention that you're scrutinizing them more closely. I wouldn't prohibit it. There are too many legitimate affiliates who use them too.

Keep in mind that many fraudulent affiliates won't use the obvious free email accounts. There are thousands of off-the-wall sites that offer free email accounts. They'll often use those.

You might want to start a topic on the Affiliate Manager forum. There are plenty of other indicators (that shouldn't be discussed in public).
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I too have more than one e-mail. But when communicating with anyone about my site, I use the site name e-mail.

Speaking from someone that used to be on the network side, I understand your concern about the free e-mails and fraud, but I think it would be a mistake to disallow it.

I know sometimes you can get buried in bogus affiliate applications, but you just have to do your due dilegence in researching the people that apply. My advice would be to require a phone number, and call anyone that you think is suspicious. Mostly they will be bogus numbers, so you'll be able to tell. If it's not bogus, and you reach someone that is on the up and up, it never hurts to introduce yourself and talk to them about their site and marketing plans anyway.

The best examples are right in front of you in these few posts. Body Heidi and SSanf stated that they use Yahoo and Hotmail. Would you want to turn down their business because of that? It would be a huge mistake.

Sheri

Just because someone uses yahoo or hotmail doesn't mean its a FREEBIE account. Both yahoo and hotmail offer paid accounts - so how are you going to determine if they are fraudulant based on email address?

Both yahoo and hotmail have better spam filters than I could ever set up. I just don't have the time nor inclination to do it.
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    What happens when you flip the argument for using Yahoo or Hotmail when a merchant does it? I have one merchant at SAS who uses their ISP email addy when communicating with me. The first email from them nearly got wiped by my spam filter. It just doesn't look professional to me for a merchant to do that, so I can understand why a merchant would be uncomfortable if an affiliate did it.

We've all heard plenty of stories of affiliates signing up using a bogus web site. Without email confirmation the AM can't confirm that the affiliate is in fact the owner of the domain.

Thanks for all the feedback. All very valuable. We won't disallow their use but they will certainly be much more scrutiny of these affiliates.

Question: What is we required affiliates who used free emails to use the same email on their domain registries? What if this policy was across the board?

I don't think that would work either. Whois information is often used to spam, so many people will use different email addresses there.

Come on over to the Affiliate Manager forum. I think AMs could really make some progress by comparing notes.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Could be issues with the domain registries also - All of my domains are listed with domains by proxy - I didn't used to have it this way but after the phone calls all hours of the day and night, i finally said enough is enough and switched it so my information is hidden.

I was getting phone calls from visitors to my site wanting to order products or to ask questions, I was getting phone calls from SEO firms trying to drum up business.
    Heidi

A cheaper (and more professional looking) option than domains by proxy...

I use a free eVoice.com voice mail number on all of my domains. I changed the message to say something like "Voice mails are not listened to or returned. Please use the Contact page on the web site to contact me." (I use my real business phone number when applying to affiliate programs, though. I usually don't mind hearing from my merchants.)

I also use a free eFax for the fax number and my business PO Box for the address.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I use an email associated with one of my sites. The site in the email may or may not be the one I put a merchant's links on. I don't set up emails for most of my domains, I just have boxes active on a couple of them.

As for making assumptions based on whether an affiliate has a free email or not--often, the choice of which email to use is simply one of convenience and has nothing to do with business concerns or professionality.

When I started out (with a free-hosted site!), it was more convenient for me to use mail_com, so I did. When I got my first domain, it became more convenient for me to use that, so I switched it.

Only on my 3rd email switch did business concerns enter into it. I realized how many merchants will check out the .com associated with an email. I wanted them to see my mall site instead of my first site. So I switched it again.

Yes..but INMO...these days you can get a custom email address for just a few dollars a year. I would expect any decent/active affiliate to 1)be able to set it up, 2) have a domain of their own and 3)find this to be a fully justifiable cost as it will go a long way in furthering their business interests. To me it almost strikes me as the stamp of a serious affiliate.
    Those are dangerous assumptions. Personally I haven't found any difference, business-wise, what email address I use. It's just a matter of convenience.

Nothing in my experience would justify spending money solely to get a "domain" email. I can count the people who even mention it--much less require it--on one hand.

Far from being a stamp of a "serious" affiliate, I'd consider spending money just to get a custom email (without the associated domain name) to be a stamp of someone who didn't do a proper cost-benefit analysis. A custom email alone is no more an indicator of business seriousness, than a vanity license plate indicates better driving skills.

As for being a justifiable cost--I've found it's much more productive, profitable, and easier on my nerves to just pick merchants who are okay with however I happen to be doing things at the time I apply. The old line about certain programs being, or not being, a good fit is often accurate--the best, most profitable programs are those where neither side has to make concessions or changes.

Due to the fact that I started as an aff with a free-hosted site and a free email, I will always rankle at how some AMs (and affs) assume the worst when they see such a setup. It took over a year for my first paid-hosted domain to match the income of my old Angelfire site! I finally moved the original site over to paid-hosting, too, but I would have left it on Angelfire if they hadn't started showing ads that interfered with my sales.

Quote Originally Posted by rhkocatas
    We are developing some additional fraud filters and were wondering what type of email address you use with affiliate programs, free, ISP or hosted on a domain you own?
    I regularly use all three of the possibilities listed above.

I usually use my ISP e-mail when joining/signing into affiliate programs.
    A few recent affiliate programs wanted my e-mail to be my own domain, so I accomodated that request (but rarely use domain e-mail) -- that ofcourse is subject to change.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rhkocatas
    Thanks for all the feedback. All very valuable. We won't disallow their use but they will certainly be much more scrutiny of these affiliates.
    NOW I read that (after spending an hour or so typing my other post) *groan*

Question: What is we required affiliates who used free emails to use the same email on their domain registries? What if this policy was across the board?
    That's probably no good. The email I usually use for the whois is one that's become overrun with spam--it's functional, for now, but I hardly check it anymore. Even though it's a "domain" email, I would guess that a lot of free email users also have the same thing going on with their on-record boxes.

I would suppose that many people use a mostly-ignored email address to register domains with, for the same reason.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    I just use hotmail for just about everything. With Performics you can't, so i used me at mysite.com which just forwards everything to the hotmail account.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast