Considering setting up my own web server
    I'm getting enough domains out in 'space' that I'm spending a lot of time and money switching from one system to another and as kind of an independent cuss I like to have as much control as I can so ... I'm thinking of setting up a Linux server using a DSL line into the house. What words of warning or suggestions do you have?

One question I'm a bit confused about is the subject of DNS - how do you folks that have your own server do your DNS (domain name service) - do it yourself or farm it out - to whom - how is that working...

Charles

Nooooo!!!!

Don't do it. You need to bite the bullet and pay for a dedicated server with suitable connectivity to top tier internet bandwidth providers.

What is going to happen if you get 10 or 20 (or more) simultaneous users on a DSL line that is capable of (say) 1MBs upstream? It will quickly become saturated. Not to mention the reliability issues. What happens when a cable/DSL grunt unwittingly cuts the wrong line whilst doing maintenance? Bye bye web site for a few hours. What happens if you get a power cut? What about if your machine hard drive dies? How long is it going to take you to get running again?

You simply cannot run a serious website from your home. Commercial hosts have invested $hundreds of thousands in equipment and infrastructure to provide their service.

If your not ready to pop the 100 bucks or more a month for a dedicated you might want to look at a VPS (virtual private server) which is about 1/2 the price, but functions like a dedicated server. VPS packages offer guaranteed specs and if there is any extra left over from the other clients you can sometimes use more resources.

The packages allow you to host any number of sites and typically come with 10 gig storage and 100 gig transfer (this varies depending on who you go with). The best thing is that you can be connected in a node with a much faster connection and someone else has the headaches of security updates and maintenance

>> One question I'm a bit confused about

If you're confused about *any* aspect of hosting your own server, then you should probably not attempt it, at least not for any important stuff. There's stuff that you know you don't know, like the DNS. And then there's probably more stuff that you don't even know you don't know.
    Hosting your own is probably a headache you don't need.

A hosted dedicated server IS convenient, but with that also comes lots of hassles like maintenance, security, etc. A managed server is more expensive, but they'll take care of all that stuff.

Either way, the thing about having a bunch of sites on one server is that you'll have everything on one IP address, or at least all in the same IP block. If your sites are interlinked and you're getting benefit from that in natural search, then you run the risk of the links getting discounted or worse depending on how spammy it is.

Bottom line, unless you have special requirements that require that you have the full resources and full control of a dedicated server, you're probably better off dealing with the inconvenience of having stuff spread around.

I recommed you go with VPS...

for several reason...

1> less cost then dedicated with all ofthe advantages
    2> good starting point to learn about being on a dedicated server
    3> fully managed.. so if yoiu need help it there...
    4> next logical step after reseller accounts

I stepped up to VPS 14 months ago... there in no going back... my next step is to full dedicated in a few months...
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Definitely go with a dedicated server or VPS rather than co-locating a server or putting a server in your house. A dedicated server or VPS will be far more reliable and have a far faster connection (usually 10mbps or 100mbps) than DSL. It's worth the money.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Scott,

Your point is very valid on the interlinking of sites. Personally, I've found that it will not hurt if your not over aggressive with it.

If you have aggressive interlinking, multiple ip blocks are a good thing. If your running cpanel as a cp (some others too?) you will have the ability to migrate sites from server to server with little effort.

Hi Charles,

To answer your question first, I host my own primary dns servers and for secondary dns, use the (4) servers at everydns.net. Everydns is free/donation based and the service has been excellent for me over the last 4 years. From a control standpoint, the everydns servers updates on the hour so any dns change I make on my primary will be updated on the secondary in less then 60 min.

If you're thinking about the DSL route then you should outsource your DNS. One issue with running DNS from a DSL line is the reverse DNS you'll need for your ISP to set for your DNS server's IP to point to your DNS server's host name, Most DSL provider will only provide this level of service on a business dsl account/price point.

If you're making money from your sites then you should consider the recommendations posted here, in that you should go with a VPS or Dedicated server. You can still pursue your DSL server route, but from a hobby standpoint and build it up to when you're confident (or when you see all the pitfalls) to hosting your revenue generating sites.

Tuan

I have my development server set up at home on a dsl. My isp blocks port 25, so I can't send email from my web server. I have lots of websites that send me messages. That makes it difficult to test my programs from home before deploying them. My web server cannot use the smtp port out on the internet. Only on my LAN.

I don't have a web site live on line, but I have heard that most isp's also block port 80 on home/consumer accounts. So you have to get a business account to open port 80.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread