Smile CJ EPC Questions
    I did a search, but I couldn't find an answer to these questions, so here goes.

Why does the 7-Day EPC data on a banner or text link often read N/A when the 30-Day number is available? (In the past, i've just ignored it, but now I'm curious) How accurate are those numbers, and are they really significant (meaning a very low epc or an N/A means I can expect very low or no conversion?) Thanks in advance.

I don't remember ever seeing an explanation, but here's my suspicion: You need to have a certain volume of clicks before the EPC will be statistically significant. Those links have enough cicks in 30 days, but not in 7.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I always thought that it meant the banner hadn't been used by anyone that made sales in the last 7 days, although in the past it had been used enough to have a 30 day epc register.

Quote Originally Posted by rosy
    I always thought that it meant the banner hadn't been used by anyone that made sales in the last 7 days, although in the past it had been used enough to have a 30 day epc register.
    I suspected that rosy's explanation is the reason for the N/A, but it seems odd to me that a banner for an item that's not effected by seasonality would have $122 monthly epc over a months time, lets say, and then nothing for the last 7 days. Did everyone stop buying the item or from the merchant in the last 7 days? Did all the affiliates stop promoting it in the last 7 days? Or are the stats simply wrong. Its something that's making me go hmmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I don't remember ever seeing an explanation, but here's my suspicion: You need to have a certain volume of clicks before the EPC will be statistically significant. Those links have enough cicks in 30 days, but not in 7.
    Seems reasonable. No significant number of sales or clicks, no data.

Thanks for the replies. I'm just trying to find a way to more easily figure out what items (or merchants) sell, and which ones don't. Save myself some time, money and aggravation.

TheWebDiva--I used to think that the EPC was a good indicator, but #'s are easily manipulated. The links with the highest epc could just be that way, because the top publishers for that advertisers are using them. There is no substitute for trial and error. No shortcuts in this business, I don't think.

I'd look at merchant EPC as opposed to the EPC for certain links. Take most any link and put it in the right context and it will generate sales.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread