editing and re-saving
    Hi all,
    I'm really hoping you guys can give me some pointers here.

I have a php based site with a module that helps me to upload feeds.

Here's my dilemma...

When I have a feed that i get let's say from shareasale or linkshare, I have to edit it for a few things.
    shareasale need to input code and LS I put in headers on the fields I want to show up.

I run everything on a MAC - (new MacbookPro) and my problem is when I open a feed in excel, let's say a pipe delimited feed, and I edit it for my code or whatever....when I go to save, I lose the pipe and it only let's me save as tab.

However, it seems to do something to the feed because I can't upload it even as tabbed - pipe - csv, anything.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong???

Thanks...

I guess you could say I'm trying to keep the feed in tact delimiter-wise.
    But when you edit and re-save - the pipe goes bye-bye.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Excel is the problem. It will also remove delimiters from numbers at times. The microsoft version of CSV is different than everyone else's.

I use notepad to mainpulate things like the ShareASale ID - searches and replaces just fine.

If you're doing extensive reworks to things, either write some scripts to handle it or probe the merchant (especially if it's a new feed) to see if they can do the "corrections" beforehand (like funky special characters that get messed up).

Hey, Donuts, got a question...
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    Excel is the problem. It will also remove delimiters from numbers at times. The microsoft version of CSV is different than everyone else's.

I use notepad to mainpulate things like the ShareASale ID - searches and replaces just fine.

If you're doing extensive reworks to things, either write some scripts to handle it or probe the merchant (especially if it's a new feed) to see if they can do the "corrections" beforehand (like funky special characters that get messed up).
    I've been using notepad to replace the userid info in the feeds from shareasale, is there something faster to use while doing it? Notepad seems to take forever with product feeds of 2000 products or more...

Would Wordpad do it any faster? Any help is very appreciated. Thanks.
    Mark (Satchel)
    Webmaster / Sales Manager
    [url]www.tsmgroup2.biz[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by tsmgroup2
    I've been using notepad to replace the userid info in the feeds from shareasale, is there something faster to use while doing it? Notepad seems to take forever with product feeds of 2000 products or more...

Would Wordpad do it any faster? Any help is very appreciated. Thanks.
    Wordpad is much faster.
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

Gordon mentioned a tool a while back. Might help as well.

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...=CSVed%201.0.0

This was the link ... http://www.snapfiles.com/get/csvdb.html
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    A php script would be even faster. If you're running a web server on your desktop for instance, and can execute php/mysql locally while working (some people just upload feeds to the website server and don't also run a php server on their local machine for debugging). you can use a preg replace php script to do this work.

You can also do it on your server as well, but if you do it in mysql manually, it probably won't save you much time. If you set up a web page in a private folder though, for instance, that fires off the script (that replaces the default SAS text with your SAS aff id), it'd be a snap.

There's ways to automate the process as well, but it depends on what else you're doing to upload and edit the feed beforehand, so a simple answer that's best for you ain't easy to guess from my chair right now.

Gotchya! Thank you all so much. I did switch to Wordpad and Wow! Your right, it is super fast compared to excel or notepad.

Got one more question for you all, as far as the Shareasale feeds, do I need to add the field names to the .csv file thru excel or is there an easier way to set this feed up so that I don't have to change my templates that I have currently?

You guys are a great help, and I would love additional resources or even a crash course on how I can automate the updating of this feeds.

Thank you again.
    Mark (Satchel)
    Webmaster / Sales Manager
    [url]www.tsmgroup2.biz[/url]

Better yet you can do it from your terminal window:

Code:
    perl -e 's/search/replace/' datafeed.txt > datafeed.txt
    OS X has it built in and it'll replace every instance of "search" with "replace". If you'd like it to create a new file, simply change the name of the output file name at the end. This should be even faster

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread