Question Can you really have a huge website?
    I know that sounds silly, but if someone takes a datafeed, couldn't they create a website with 50,000 pages or more in it? That's huge if you had one product on the page! That doesn't violate any affiliate agreement tos does it?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Their are thousands of affiliate feed sites out there with well more then 50,000 template pages. Google is whacking them left and right for duplicate SERP spam content.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    Their are thousands of affiliate feed sites out there with well more then 50,000 template pages. Google is whacking them left and right for duplicate SERP spam content.
    What does "SERP spam content" mean? Sorry, learning the lingo. Wen you say 50,000 template pages does that mean different product same site? Thanks.

The answer to your question is yes.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

nevermind
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

Quote Originally Posted by SSanf
    The answer to your question is yes.
    Is that sort of what webmerge does? Or is that an abuse of it?

ABW Ambassador
    Yes, you can have a HUGE site that does well. (I don't, I have small sites but have seen some enormous ones that are great).

I think the point Mike is making is that the search engines are zapping sites with loads of pages that are identical to scads of other pages out there to clean up the SERPs (search engine results pages). It can also happen to smaller sites, but it's more obvious with bigger ones, and hits harder.

A good strategy is to individualize as much as possible to get indexed well, which can bring traffic, which can then result in sales and commissions. It's better to have 200 pages indexed and pulling traffic than 2,000 pages in the Supplemental Index that pull none.

THAT is what I see as the big advantage of WebMerge, that it's a desk-top application that leaves room and gives opportunity for customizing text on pages (and product descriptions) so that they're unique and have individual value.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyWebAffiliate
    Is that sort of what webmerge does? Or is that an abuse of it?
    It is not an abuse of it. It is simply a use of it. Whether that is an effective use of it is another matter.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Quote Originally Posted by SSanf
    It is not an abuse of it. It is simply a use of it. Whether that is an effective use of it is another matter.
    So, If I take a datafeed of 17MB worth of shoes (I have not. I promise I am just trying to see what other people do.) and create what..uh, 5,000 .html pages linked together is that against any affiliate rules? Or just a good way to be knocked off of search engine?

So, If I take a datafeed of 17MB worth of shoes (I have not. I promise I am just trying to see what other people do.) and create what..uh, 5,000 .html pages linked together is that against any affiliate rules? Or just a good way to be knocked off of search engine?
    If you don't add any original content to the pages, they likely won't even make it into the normal Google index. They'll be relegated to "supplementals" meaning many other pages offering the same content will come up before yours. You have to make each page unique (somehow... ratings, reviews, pictures, info.. that is the trick).

It's all do'able. A few years ago, I took an XML data feed from cj.com and used PHP parsing templates to generate a site for a client. Whether or not he made any money is unknown as he froze me out of our "partnership" without a sou.
    Still, the site it still up :-)

Once you get a site up with all of the categories (which is harder then it appears due to mapping issues) and you get it automated with parsing, it can run by itself.

Lara in Los Gatos

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    It's not against the rules of any program I'M in. If a program did have rules against such a thing, I'd simply avoid it like the plague.

There are a few--very few--jerks who have idiot rules like "don't use the product name as the page title." But that doesn't just hit WM users--it affects everyone who would have wanted to seriously promote their stuff. Merchants like that just want branding, not people who are going to AIM for SALES in a serious way. I say F...orget 'em, go with merchants who want actual sales instead of just branding.

Size-wise--Only 5000 pages? LOL that's nothing. I have several sites with more pages than that.

I have a site that used to run with 100,000+ Webmerged feed pages! I just took my whole CJ feed and ran it through...sent it up to the server as one HUGE zip file. The only real hitch was that it took ages to run the update, upload the file, and unzip it. Finally I went to server-side processing for that one (there's currently over 200,000 pages on it) since it's a lot faster to do updates that way.

The other complication that I can see with a site with THAT many pages is you'll need at least a PR5-6 to get them all indexed. That kind of PR 'usually' doesn't come quick.

mopek

Since we spoke of SERPS and duplicate content, what do you feel most search engines (mainly Google) considers as content? Do you think any markup on the page (HTML) counts as content? I know it may be a silly question, but I wonder how much of an effect an original design, layout, etc, might have on indexing.

Thanks.

Markup does not count but your menu, header text, footer text, and other page elements do count. You can also get a bit tricky and do search/replaces on certain characters (I, e, o) and change them with their ASCII code equivalents.. but you didn't hear that from me.

I know that sounds silly, but if someone takes a datafeed, couldn't they create a website with 50,000 pages or more in it? That's huge if you had one product on the page! That doesn't violate any affiliate agreement tos does it?
    I don't consider a 50k page site huge. Look at Bizrate or Shopping.com who have millions and millions of products and hundreds of merchants. Now those sites are fairly huge. I figure if they're doing it there's no reason we can't. The real challenge is organizing your data just as well, if not better, than them. Of course it's best to choose a very specific niche that these large shopping engines don't focus on too well. When I go about this business I ask myself "can I do it better than the norm?" If 50k products is too overwhelming to you and you don't think you can organize them well, maybe you should consider working with less data and providing more value. And no, I don't believe re-wording a datafeed in Excel provides value.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHoff
    Markup does not count but your menu, header text, footer text, and other page elements do count. You can also get a bit tricky and do search/replaces on certain characters (I, e, o) and change them with their ASCII code equivalents.. but you didn't hear that from me.
    I know what ASCII is, but what do you mean "code equivalents"? (I did not hear this from you, btw, I just hear it somewhere and thought you might have heard, from a friend, the information)

Cool
    I think PPC have already made lot of people to build huge websites... certainly people do have and who dont have they are thinking about having a huge one...

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread