ABW Ambassador
    Leaks for getting more incoming links
    What would you prefer if you have an opportunity where you can get more incoming links if you were to give few outbound links from your content?

Yes, this would amount to leaks because these would be non-affiliate links to sites in the same niche as yours (non-competing of course). Some of these outbound links will be to authority sites and some not. Also, there's no explicit link exchange involved but I am positive that I'll be generating some incoming links because of these links. Also, I could expect some boost in google organic rankings because of the more links.

But since there are no definites involved here so there's no way for me to know the benefits involved. I am not sure how to strike a balance here
    How many outbound links to provide or do I link out freely? Do I link to only authority sites? Or I should not get too much into thinking and simply link out naturaly without worrying whether I gain 100 visitors and loose 80 or gain 80 visitors and loose 100 instead coz it'll all even out in the end?

Anyone has experience with this or been in similar situations before?
    The Best Forums
    Nothing in the world can take the place of persistance
    . Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistance and determination are omnipotent.
    Abestweb Store

ABW Ambassador
    What makes you think that linking out will get you more IBLs?

ABW Ambassador
    happens with blogs, no?
    The Best Forums
    . Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistance and determination are omnipotent.
    Abestweb Store

ABW Ambassador
    No, it doesn't work that way even with blogs. Technically, blogs started out as "logs" of what people found out on the "web" that they found interesting. Called "weblogs" - check how ODP describes them in that category.

The best thing is to write interesting stuff on interesting topics to get IBLs, which are often given liberally to blogs. For linking out, just link to what you like and what will benefit visitors and that they'll find interesting.

Blogs are all about linking, so it should be done liberally and well.

ABW Ambassador
    And what about the trackbacks with blogs? Isn't it consider an IBL?
    The Best Forums
    Abestweb Store

ABW Ambassador
    So, does it mean that leaks should not be there no matter what?
    The Best Forums
    Abestweb Store

ABW Ambassador
    Don't worry about leaks (PR leaks?) on a blog. Blogs are meant to link out, legitimate ones anyway. Look around at them and you'll see how much they all link out.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Don't link out too much (if you are a site less than 30 pages, don't link out more than 5-6 times) because you might get classified as a link farm by the engines, but i think linking naturally to good, content-rich authority sites in your niche will most likely help you.

The search engines want sites that deliver value and if linking to these other sites adds value to your page, go right ahead.

Trying to game the engines and link in a way that is taylored to how they are ranking right now is a loosing strategy. Sure it might help you in the short term, but if there isn't good value underlying it, in 6 months they'll change the ranking algorithm and you'll be back at square 1 (or worse... penalized for bad practices).

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by chameleon911
    I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Don't link out too much (if you are a site less than 30 pages, don't link out more than 5-6 times) because you might get classified as a link farm by the engines, but i think linking naturally to good, content-rich authority sites in your niche will most likely help you.

The search engines want sites that deliver value and if linking to these other sites adds value to your page, go right ahead.

Trying to game the engines and link in a way that is taylored to how they are ranking right now is a loosing strategy. Sure it might help you in the short term, but if there isn't good value underlying it, in 6 months they'll change the ranking algorithm and you'll be back at square 1 (or worse... penalized for bad practices).
    Thanks chameleon911
    The Best Forums
    Abestweb Store

ABW Ambassador
    A blog isn't the same thing as other types of sites, they are completely different. Blogs don't go by "pages" and it's expected that they'll link out with posts - not in any way anything like a link farm.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread