ABW Ambassador
    Question Outing of Affiliate Links and Affiliate Websites
    I see this happenning in online communities. If an affiliate posts a deal or an affiliate link, sometimes other members come out and out the affiliate links like say "Don't buy from this site - This is an affiliate link"

I could understand this coming from someone who is not an affiliate but the funny part is they themselves are an affiliate and promoting the same merchant.

I don't know why they do so - in fact, in my opinion, if the affiliate has done something innovative and as long as it is within the community guidelines, there is always an opportunity to learn from that affiliate rather than trying to out that it is an affiliate site etc.

Many of you veterans would have faced such instances where your sites are outed by others. So what is the best way to handle such situations? Of course, without outing the other affiliate's websites because that is not I would want to do
    The Best Forums
    Nothing in the world can take the place of persistance
    . Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistance and determination are omnipotent.
    Abestweb Store

ABW Ambassador
    You mean people hollering when someone posts a link with affiliate code appended to it? If so, it's because marketers don't like to be marketed to. It's like preaching to the choir. And what if everyone did it?

Not to mention that forum spamming isn't usually appreciated very much and people will invariably take advantage.

Outing is a different story, and works a little differently depending on what kind of community it is.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    You mean people hollering when someone posts a link with affiliate code appended to it? If so, it's because marketers don't like to be marketed to. It's like preaching to the choir. And what if everyone did it?
    Not to mention that forum spamming isn't usually appreciated very much and people will invariably take advantage.
    No, I didn't mean spamming the forums with affiliate links
    What I meant is some boards which do allow links to your own affiliate sites (not the affiliate link but a link to your own site which can have affiliate links)
    The Best Forums
    . Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistance and determination are omnipotent.
    Abestweb Store

ABW Ambassador
    If the forum management allows it, then people should mind their business. Other than that, I'm not clear on what's happening.

ABW Ambassador
    Outing is a different story, and works a little differently depending on what kind of community it is.
    Yes, there are different rules of different communities
    Probably I didn't make it clear so I'll expand. What if you make a post which is 100% acceptable within the community posting guidelines and then someone posts saying that if you buy from that site, it is an affiliate site, so don't
    The Best Forums
    Abestweb Store

>>>and then someone posts saying that if you buy from that site<<

I'd be tempted to ask how long their mother has been dressing them funny.

Perhaps a forum full of people like that has questionable value.

Probably just bitter, unsuccessful marketers who don't like to see someone else succeed.
    [B]Jon Lyons[/B]
    Director of Affiliate Operations
    [EMAIL="jon.lyons@fluxads.com"][SIZE=1]jon.lyons@fluxads.com[/SIZE][/EMAIL][SIZE=1] | 1-877-GO-2-FLUX | [URL="http://www.fluxads.com/"]FluxAds.com[/URL][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]LinkedIn: [URL]http://www.linkedin.com/in/jrlyons[/URL][/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by FluxAds.com
    Probably just bitter, unsuccessful marketers who don't like to see someone else succeed.
    that reminds me. talking about rogue affiliates, how bout marketers who want to steal your business? would you approve of a copyright lawsuit to stop the bad apples?

Failure leads to poor ethics
    Quote Originally Posted by FluxAds.com
    I agree. It's funny how people who aren't successful just want to drag others down to their level.

The more success people have, the more ethical and generous they tend to become in my experience. Desperate people do desperate things.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by chameleon911
    The more success people have, the more ethical and generous they tend to become in my experience. Desperate people do desperate things.
    very true, chameleon
    The Best Forums
    Abestweb Store

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread