When the pic drives the traffic
    I've been feeling uneasy about this lately.

Across all the sites I maintain keywords and phrase no longer seem to drive search engine traffic to my sites. Now it's mainly a focus on pics:

i.e. http://images.google.com/imgres

Has anyone else experienced that? What do you think about that? Words and phrases used to drive the traffic.

Is this a good sign or not?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I have a feeling its not usually a good thing.
    People do image searches more to find pictures, intead of buy things. People use image search to steal or hotlink from your pictures too.

However I suppose if your site was about a certain celebrity (for example), and people came to it from doing a picture search on that celebrity...it could be a positive.

Lightbulb
    I have a collectibles site where image searches have about taken over the stats since last October. I don't think anyone is hotlinking, though, in this case.

But . . . looking at the logs and the view in statcounter.com I do see where some of these visitors have stayed and walked around the site for up to six or seven pages.

Guess some of the visitors have found what they think is a search shortcut: search on the graphic someone is presenting in order to find other sites that sell it.

Does that make any sense?

I give my pictures cryptic names now ABC123.jpg for instance, makes it more difficult for images searches to find them.

People who are looking for pictures are often looking for stuff to copy or hotlink - best off without them.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Sometimes when I'm shopping I'll use Yahoo or Google's image search engine to locate a product. This comes in especially handy when I have an idea of the color/design/style of the product I want. It makes locating the merchant who sells that product much easier.

I have no problem if visitors find my sites through image searches. The product images are served by the merchant so hotlinking isn't an issue for me.

Merchant products are one thing, your own copyrighted images are a whole different category.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ward
    I give my pictures cryptic names now ABC123.jpg for instance, makes it more difficult for images searches to find them.

People who are looking for pictures are often looking for stuff to copy or hotlink - best off without them.
    Thanks for the good tip.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

If keyword and phrases don't seem to drive traffic to your site anymore, it sounds like you might need a bit of additional search engine optimization (SEO). Have you been doing much in this area?

Quote Originally Posted by chameleon911
    If keyword and phrases don't seem to drive traffic to your site anymore, it sounds like you might need a bit of additional search engine optimization (SEO). Have you been doing much in this area?
    for instance?

For instance:
    - Writing at least one page of good keyword rich content specifically targeted at each keyword you are trying to get ranking
    - Have the pages within your site well interlinked and minimize the number of links that lead out of your site unless it is to well ranked, content rich sites that are very closely related to the topic of yours. (the more content-rich interlinked pages you have on your site, the better your ranking)
    - Get links to your site from other well ranked sites in your niche market and if possible, have them use your target keywords as their anchor text
    - Start a blog (with a name which includes your target keywords), that has a post linking to each one of your pages

These are a few of the most widely accepted SEO practices. You can probably find info on most of them here on the forums, but if not, just let me know and I'll start a post that elaborates on them.

Thanks for the tips, chameleon911
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread