Case sensitivity
    I see to have hit a problem with WebMerge. I'm sure there's a simple solution just beyond my grasp but I can't find it...

I'm generating index pages with Links based on a field name, say 'Blue Widgets'.

The generated index contains links to 'Blue-Widgets.htm'

When the corresponding pages are generated on Windows 2000 they are lower case: 'blue-widgets.htm'.

When I upload them to my case-sensitive Linux/Apache server the links don't work because 'Blue-Widgets.htm' does not equate to 'blue-widgets.htm'

I can manually rename the htm files before uploading them but this won't be possible with thousands of product detail pages.

Any help would be appreciated...

What database software are you using? I had a similar issue, and I used an SQL query (in Access 2003) to convert upper case to lower case before I exported it for WebMerge.

It's a tab-delimited export from Excel. I don't really want to change the field to lower case - I guess I need WebMerge to generate pages with names that match the case of the generated links in the index pages.

Or is there an easy way to change the names of the generated html pages so the first letter of each word is upper case?

I have, strangely, had this same thing happen using plain old csv excel spread sheets. The thing is that it is not consistent. I never did figure out why it happened but it was a major pain in the butt.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Radegast
    I see to have hit a problem with WebMerge. I'm sure there's a simple solution just beyond my grasp but I can't find it...

I'm generating index pages with Links based on a field name, say 'Blue Widgets'.

The generated index contains links to 'Blue-Widgets.htm'

When the corresponding pages are generated on Windows 2000 they are lower case: 'blue-widgets.htm'.

When I upload them to my case-sensitive Linux/Apache server the links don't work because 'Blue-Widgets.htm' does not equate to 'blue-widgets.htm'
    WebMerge doesn't have different behaviors for different versions of the OS. If it generates what you need on one system but not another, maybe that other system is exporting incorrectly?
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

All the generating was done on Windows 2000. But.....it's working now

Still not sure what I was doing wrong last time.

Affiliate Manager
    If you figure out what happened please let me know. This was an odd one I haven't come across before, but if it happened once it may happen again, and I'd like to be able to guide folks to a solution if it does.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread