AE - Problem with 'More Results' Button
    Have put a line of ae script on to one of my web pages which basically just shows a list of best seller items from Amazon.
    The script runs OK and returns the first 10 items. However when the More Results button is pressed, the script goes of and displays the next page using the default store template which is not what I want.

I want to keep everything within the website template hence the reason for putting the script directly onto the webpage.

How do I tell AE to display all subsequent pages in the same place rather than have it go off and use the default store template.

It is probably quite obvious but for the life of me, I cannot figure it out!!

Either use an <IFRAME> tag rather than a <SCRIPT> tag, or create a custom template that looks like your website.

Another method is to turn off the "More Results" links and create a series of .html files and link them together. In ae.ini, set prevNext to "no". On the 2nd page, add &page=2 to the <SCRIPT> URL. On the 3rd page, use &page=3 to get the 3rd page of results, and do that for as many pages as you want. For example, you might have dvd.html (<SCRIPT> without any page= parameter), dvd2.html (<SCRIPT> with &page=2), dvd3.html (<SCRIPT> with &page=3), etc.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

Quote Originally Posted by cusimano
    Either use an <IFRAME> tag rather than a <SCRIPT> tag, or create a custom template that looks like your website.

Another method is to turn off the "More Results" links and create a series of .html files and link them together. In ae.ini, set prevNext to "no". On the 2nd page, add &page=2 to the <SCRIPT> URL. On the 3rd page, use &page=3 to get the 3rd page of results, and do that for as many pages as you want. For example, you might have dvd.html (<SCRIPT> without any page= parameter), dvd2.html (<SCRIPT> with &page=2), dvd3.html (<SCRIPT> with &page=3), etc.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    I do not understand. I do have a custom template in which I have inserted the <Script> with the correct parameters. All the links alongside the displayed products work correctly. However, when the 'Next Result' button it brings up a Page not found 404 error. Can you please advise?

Is ae.pl located on the same server or a different server from where you're calling it? If you're doing a remote call (ae.pl on a different server), then edit ae.ini and set:

links.relurl no

This setting will cause links to include the domain name where ae.pl is located.

Did you rename ae.pl to something else? Such as shop.pl? In ae.ini did you change the value of the variable called "script"?

Use the support form and let me know the URL where you're using ae.pl (and the URL of ae.pl) so that I can see it.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

Thank you for you r reply.
    ae.pl is located on same server. I have a doman www.workout100.com. cgibin at root level contains all the ae stuff incl the ae.pl and .ini files. I then created a books.php file which contained my domain template with the <script> of ae inserted within. By the way books.php will be used within one of my links when corrected.
    Best way to check this would be www.workout100.com/books.php.
    Pls note I had to remove the .htaccess fiel else it opened my domain with the amazon page instead of the main page of my workout100.com site.
    Thank you once more

Your ae.ini file has:

virtual.dir "http://www.YOURDOMAIN.com/amazon"

and that causes ae.pl to output Virtual Directory links (e.g.: "More Results" links to http: // YOURDOMAIN.com /amazon/browsenodesearch_764572/mode_electronics/first_11/). But you said that you removed the .htaccess file which connects the virtual directory to ae.pl. Thus ae.pl is linking to the virtual directory but .htaccess is not connecting the virtual directory to ae.pl thus the "404 file not found" errors when you try to access the virtual directory.

Either turn off virtual directory by editing ae.ini and setting virtual.dir to "" (this turns off Virtual Directory), or edit the .htaccess file and add the statements to connect the virtual directory to ae.pl (see Virtual Directory > .htaccess configuration).

If you do use virtual directory, then set virtual.dir "/amazon" The value should not include the domain name, just the relative "/amazon" path.

P.S.: You might want to also upgrade to the latest ae.pl v5.12.17, download from http://www.c3scripts.com/amazon/release/

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

Thank you again David. Your advice really helped me. I ahve made the changes as per your advice and it seems to work now !!
    Cheers!!

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread