Question Is Dell's Affiliate Program Okay?
    I work in computers and get asked a lot about building them for people. I usually decline becaues I don't want to support them. I end up telling them to go buy a Dell. Since I learned about affilate programs I thought maybe I should get paid for it. I figured it might be a good way to start a coupon site. Just have them go there first to my link.

You would do better with another pc maker. example tigerdierct
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

ABW Ambassador
    I think people who want to buy a Dell, usually want to buy from Dell.com, Tiger Direct has a little. Dell does fine for me.

I stopped using dell as a merchant a while back. Their coupons are a huge PITA as far as I'm concerned. Plus the low commish %. JMO

I'm sure someone will post here saying they make big bucks with dell....

ABW Ambassador
    Question: when I was shopping for a Nesco roaster, I price checked and read product reviews around, then went directly to the manufacturers site and got the best deal around by far.

If people want to buy a Dell, will they go through an affiliate site, or directly to Dell's site first thing?

I do well promoting their coupons. The coupons are a pain in the neck to keep track of and the commissions aren't that great (unless you have a lot of volume), but it's been worthwhile for me.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I do well promoting their coupons. The coupons are a pain in the neck to keep track of and the commissions aren't that great (unless you have a lot of volume), but it's been worthwhile for me.
    I signed up for linkshare to get to Dell, but they aren't in the list. I put technology in the checkbox. Don't know what I might be doing wrong. Any ideas?

I get nice traffic because of their coupons and a good sale here and there. They take forever to pay but they pay.

Last I checked TigerDirect didn't make PCs they just sold them and their also a disgusting company to deal with.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    You've never heard one word here from Dell.com management or their hired gun AM's. Ever since they launched a site they were crowned the Diversion King of affiliate programs for good reason. I'm sure glad your couponers are tearing them a new butt hole and I've never researched a merchant list of a parasite or e-mail spammer who didn't prominently feature Dell..com

I've been a computer VAR and even sold some excess IBM Pcs to Mike Dell, when he was in college. He'd add memory and a bigger hard drive and sock it to buyers on a pre-paid $500 waiting list doubling his profit. He played all IBM and clone dealers like a shark never letting on he wasn't old enough to be a resell dealer. 30 years later he's still bloodying up the industry like a greed drive shark.

I sure hope the scumbag affiliates all continue to rape their ROI at the point of sale, while patiently waiting 3 months for your ill gotten Adwhore commissions. Any smart shopper just types in Dell.com in a new window after Googling... Dell Coupons

Navigating the Dell coupons this way is easier and assures Mike Dell every affiliate sale is burdened with a coupon/rebate on top of the low margin deal. Works to suck their program dry if some high priced BHO commission shark doen't pop on you in the checkout lane.

Here's this weeks line up....

Dell Home Coupons:
    10% off select XPS Notebooks and Desktops Code: 0QDGP7X4D32KCR (Exp: Mar 29, 2006)

This offer is not combinable with other dollars off, percentage off but does stack with mail-in rebate offer. Only one coupon may be applied per cart at checkout. Coupon code expires after first 10,000 uses, or when the limited time offer expires, whichever is earlier. Offers subject to change. View details in My Cart. Enter coupon code at checkout to receive this offer.

Upto $250 rebate on Notebooks, Free Flat Panel Upgrade with desktops (Exp: Mar 29, 2006)

30% off select Dimension Desktops $999+ (Excludes XPS) Code: 2NJQJFMP3?KGVW (Exp: Mar 30, 2006)

This offer is not combinable with other dollars off, percentage off or mail-in rebates. Only one coupon may be applied per cart at checkout. Coupon code expires after first 4,000 uses, or when the limited time offer expires, whichever is earlier. Offers subject to change. View details in My Cart. Enter coupon code at checkout to receive this offer.

$200 off select Inspiron Notebooks $1499+ (Excludes XPS) Code: 5C6R0Q4QJWSKMS (Exp: Mar 30, 2006)

Offer excludes XPS notebooks and Inspiron Spotlight Savings offers. This offer is not combinable with other dollars off, percentage off but does stack with mail-in rebate offer. Only one coupon may be applied per cart at checkout. Coupon code expires after first 4,000 uses, or when the limited time offer expires, whichever is earlier. Offers subject to change. View details in My Cart. Enter coupon code at checkout to receive this offer.

$350 off select Inspiron Notebooks $1999+ (Excludes XPS) Code: GKF2NSV7JVK940 (Exp: Mar 30, 2006)

Offer excludes XPS notebooks and Inspiron Spotlight Savings offers. This offer is not combinable with other dollars off, percentage off but does stack with mail-in rebate offer. Only one coupon may be applied per cart at checkout. Coupon code expires after first 4,000 uses, or when the limited time offer expires, whichever is earlier. Offers subject to change. View details in My Cart. Enter coupon code at checkout to receive this offer.

Dell Home Electronics and Accessories Coupons:
    2% additional off using Dell Preferred Account during checkout. (Select Credit Card during checkout to see it) (Exp: Unknown)

20% off Canon PowerShot A530 or A430 Digital Camera Code: NDGBC$BC9VP?0? (Exp: Mar 29, 2006)

Offer may be combined with select other offers. Only one coupon may be applied per cart at checkout. Coupon code expires after first 2000 uses, or earlier if offer is terminated earlier. Offers subject to change. Please verify eligibility in the cart before completing your purchase. (Excluded items receive the following notice "The following coupons have been entered but require additional information or do not meet eligibility requirements".) Eligible items reflect the discount.

Upto 20% off Dell Monitors. Upto 20% off select Digital Cameras and camcorders. (Exp: Mar 29, 2006)

47% off Dell 540 Printers Code: JV52JNPN9HP?TQ (Exp: Mar 30, 2006)

Offer may be combined with select other offers. Only one coupon may be applied per cart at checkout. Coupon code expires after first 1500 uses, or earlier if offer is terminated earlier.

$25 off $999 When using Dell Preferred Account Code: X35M8PQ6Z?5XWK (Exp: Mar 31, 2006)

$10 off $100 paying with Paypal Code: X10DHMT?VL6NBS (Exp: Apr 21, 2006)

$20 off $150 Code: QGM7T0C1C2TVVD (Exp: Apr 30, 2006)

Dell Small Business Coupons:
    Free Flat Panel upgrade with most desktops. Free Shipping. (Exp: Mar 29, 2006)

Upto $250 off Inspiron Notebooks. $400 off Inspiron Notebooks $1299+ (Exp: Mar 29, 2006)

Dell Small Business Software and Peripherals Coupons and Dell Small Business Coupon Codes:
    $500 off Dell 5100MP projector, Upto $300 off Dell LCD TVs (Exp: Mar 29, 2006)

25% off all Desktop Accessories Code: GTGWZ082MG4KW4 (Exp: Mar 29, 2006)

This post should make haiko some Adsense income as Dell is too cheap to buy a banner Ad at ABW.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Is that why you have Dell links on your site?

If you know how to Push the coupon you can make a sell. If you just through everything on 1 page for everyone to read you won't make that sale.

LOL... my total output for Dell Home for 12 months. Some link is in there somewhere.

Dell Home Systems impressions=1,071 clicks=5 0.47% 0 0 0 0.00% $0.00 $0.00

Meanwhile for OS for 12 months...
    Overstock.com, Inc. impressions=2,981,429 clicks=25,903 0.84% 51 104 3 0.24% $8,861.19 $581.66

Overstock's stock sales tumble exactly on cue from their inability to convert my targeted traffic. Some day they'll grasp that fact and protect my cookies.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

So you compare a link that has had not even 2000 impressions to one that has had 2 million and think thats a valid argument for saying the dell affiliate program sucks?

I think you are more concerned about writing letters to the FTC about spyware than actually trying to promote products.

Dell Report Totals: Impressions: 3,612 Clicks: 127 C/I: 3.52 Orders:2 Items: 12 Canceled: (0) O/C: 1.57 Sales: $1,718.95 Commish: $17.19

They may not pay the most commish but when you deal with an area like computers you know the percentage of profit is low.

If you use EComCity Mike's stats to make the determination, almost every single affiliate program sucks. Somehow, I don't think it's the affiliate programs.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

We have been an affiliate partnered with Dell for more than six years. Its a well-known brand, people recognize it so good clickthru, converts well, tracks. They have always paid. Yes, the coupons are a challenge because they change so often.

As with most of the programs with companies that sell HW the commission is low, but the average order value is high, so factor that in as well.

Quote Originally Posted by skishore2006
    We have been an affiliate partnered with Dell for more than six years. Its a well-known brand, people recognize it so good clickthru, converts well, tracks. They have always paid. Yes, the coupons are a challenge because they change so often.

As with most of the programs with companies that sell HW the commission is low, but the average order value is high, so factor that in as well.
    How do I sign up for it? I put dell in the search and it doesn't show up. I have technology selected for my channel. sorry if this is the wrong place to ask. thanks for any help.

nevermind. it says I already have. I guess it did it on the clckthru. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    Is that why you have Dell links on your site?

If you know how to Push the coupon you can make a sell. If you just through everything on 1 page for everyone to read you won't make that sale.
    My stat post abpve was done to show I was wrongly labeled as a Dell promoter on my site. I'm sure not giving someone "session only" traffic knowing the couponers, BHO's, comparision sites, SEM campaigns will attack at the point of sale. I'm not pushing any major merchant not posting on ABW during the last trying 6 years.

Cross Promote Dell Traffic?
    so, obviously dell sucks (primarily low rates) but also, obviously dell brings in lots of search traffic - what do you think is the best way to cross-promote another pc vendor to visitors who at least think they are looking for dell?

it sounds a little bait-and-switchy to display dell anchor text, but link to another store.

what's the lighter-touch solution?

ABW Ambassador
    "so, obviously dell sucks"

Not for everybody, like I said in post 3, does fine for me. You had Michael and skishore posting they do alright with them too. Yep, their coupons are a lot to keep up with. They have some dynamic links for those that don't want to mess with them. There are a lot of people that when they're going to buy a Dell are wanting to buy it straight from them. There are others who want to try to buy it elsewhere. Commissions are low but order price is usually pretty good so my EPC is usually pretty good.

dell IS one of my top performing stores, in fact - but there is still a common feeling like you're getting F-ed when you see dell sales next to sales from other pc vendors

so, dell does suck, despite the fact that it is possible to pry some money out of them.

tell me about cross-promotion.

ABW Ambassador
    So they suck but are one of your top performing stores.

As far as cross promotion, I guess just find other merchants selling Dell stuff.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    their commission is not something is to be desired but coupon sites does pretty well - as some of you guys mentioned.
    their commission payout is slow and painful.

Keep in mind that the margin for PC are very low and MOST occassions, Dell does not make $$ on the sale but they make $$ on the back end from companies like Microsoft, Intel, AMD, etc.

Checkout some of their competitors and check their prices, they are usually more expensive (I know, some will mention that Dell is inferior, etc). Apples for Apples, Dell undercuts most competitors.

As Mike mentioned, TigerDirect is a "disgusting company to deal with" but I cannot say anything about the Affiliate program. It might be well managed but one of my friends who sells/supplies to tiger told me that they are a pain to work with.

Here is another option
    http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/Su...ame=Desktop-PC

22. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread