Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    For merchants with repeated status of - Low Funds!
    To me, when I see a merchant on Low Funds once in a while, I think that the main reason they may have gone into low funds, it's because they're making more money with their program at that moment that I am checking their stats, but when I see the same merchants showing Low Funds almost everyday, I think that those merchants don't really care that much about making their program grow and much less about their affiliates that may spend some money on PPC to promote their products.

I also understand that even if the merchant is on auto-deposit, that they may go into low funds at any given time that there is a rush of sales going on, but normally their low funds status will disappears in just a couple of minutes, or just in a few hours in the worse case, because they're participating on the auto-deposit program.

What I find very frustrating, is to see merchants that are on auto-deposit, sitting on low funds status for more than one day in a row, if they're making more money, they should put a bigger amount on their auto-deposit account, so they don't show up with low funds that often.

For those merchants that don't participate on the auto-deposit, I would not have to say that much more, if they can't afford to be on auto-deposit, I guess that they may not want to grow any bigger yet, and that may be just happy with whatever their affiliates send their way before they eventually go off-line if those affiliates send more customers that they can handle.

I find that sometimes it's hard enough to find a new good converting merchant, and once we find one we think would work out to be a good one, and create a site for that merchant with that merchant datafeed, it would normally take a while for the search engines to find those new pages and start sending visitors to those pages.

So it's very frustrating and disappointing to find out that after all that time and effort we put on those new merchants, that once we start to get the traffic going to those new merchants, those merchants are showing up with Low Funds or worse yet, Temporarily-Offline.

The affiliates that already have the traffic to a particular niche, may have no problem switching merchants links when they find a merchant on low fund or temporarily-offline, but any affiliate that don't have the traffic to that niche yet, may just drop that merchant and move on, or decide to bash that merchant for making them waste all that time for nothing.

I won't bash those merchants, I will not even post their names, unless of course they cost me my money, but since I don't do PPC yet, and when I decide to do PPC, it will be with merchants that are honest, clean and on auto-deposit, so I will not mention any merchant name.

Btw, today I saw ten merchants on Low-Funds, and three of those merchants have been on Low-Funds for more than three days, but the funny part is that those three are on Auto-Deposit, so..... WTH.

I will conclude this post with two quotes from other ABW members.

"Don't ask why the ball is not coming." and the most popular one: "This is a business, so treated like one."

Sal.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    I feel your pain Mr Sal. I am currently watching one merchant closely who has been on low funds for more than 3 days and also on auto deposit. I contacted the merchant and was told that I was the only one complaining and that she had other affs sending her a lot of business, too. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - if there was another merchant with this product, I would be SO out of her program.

Meanwhile, it's still showing low funds and if I "dare" let her know, I'm liable to get my head ripped off for complaining.

Makes me want to become a merchant and provide the products myself. Then I'd start a competing program and take care of my affiliates!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Internet Cowboy
    I use the online history tool Brian gives us. More than one time offline in more than 6 months and I don't select that merchant...no exceptions.

Low Funds = GONE
    Because Mr Sal is correct in his assumption that when a merchant goes on low funds.. they don't care about their program.

Rexanne.. "I contacted the merchant and was told that I was the only one complaining and that she had other affs sending her a lot of business"

Of course she said that... next week when they shut down... she won't even remember who you are...

If a merchant goes on LOW FUNDS... they are asleep at the wheel.. period..

"This is a business, so treat it like one."
    Exactamundo!

"Fonzy - Happy Days"

Low funds doesn't mean beans. Everyone gets paid if they are only low.
    It is when they actually allow things to get so low that they go off line that there is a problem.

They can stay low all year long, as far as I care, so long as they do not go off line and everyone gets paid.

Of course, if you are going to send them a big sudden burst of traffic from some paid promotion or something, it might be good to give them a heads up to watch for it.

Sure some fraudulent activity can knock them into sudden off line status. But, that can happen to those who never have low funds just as easily. If that does happen, they should have it fixed in very short order.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

I agree with you SSanf. You can't fully trust the low funds notice to be an accurate portrayal of the merchants ability to pay.

There's the variable of "the low funds notice" being shown based on the merchants own settings on the "warning balance $ amount" to trigger the notification.

The merchant could have made that warning $ value setting leaving them multi day/sales period to replentish funds with no issues.
    Ray Thomas
    Webmaster Resources: http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board Category: Programming / Coding
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    I use the online history tool Brian gives us. More than one time offline in more than 6 months and I don't select that merchant...no exceptions.
    I totally agree with this. The only real concern is whether thay go offline. Yes, a HUGE sale can knock any merchant off line unless they are automatically replenished. So can a big hit by frauds. I think once in six months is reasonable so long as the merchant fixes it within 24 hours. I would drop any merchant that goes offline repeatedly. If they constantly have low funds but never go offline what is the big deal? It is no skin off your nose if it says low funds. You will get paid for your sales. Ignore it.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Low funds doesn't mean beans. Everyone gets paid if they are only low.
    If you say so, then it's ok for them to be on low funds.
    It is when they actually allow things to get so low that they go off line that there is a problem.
    Unfortunately, not every affiliate is a psychic to know when things will go so low to be a problem, for instance, if I was a psychic, I will use that knowledge to hit the lottery numbers and get rich overnight, and not to guess if a merchant is going to go off-line, or just bail if they have to many affliates to pay, like It has happened before, just search ABW if you don't remember any of those merchants.
    They can stay low all year long, as far as I care, so long as they do not go off line and everyone gets paid.
    I believe that one day, someone will quote you on that statement.
    Of course, if you are going to send them a big sudden burst of traffic from some paid promotion or something, it might be good to give them a heads up to watch for it.
    Alright now, you mean to say that we should tell those merchants that we're going to send them a burst of traffic and to get ready for us?
    Now I know that you must be joking.

Sal.

It would really help if a field / column is added for merchant status date - low funds since date / tiime, temporarily offline since ....., even a date on online status will indicate merchants' commitment and intention.

Quote Originally Posted by Xion
    It would really help if a field / column is added for merchant status date - low funds since date / tiime, temporarily offline since ....., even a date on online status will indicate merchants' commitment and intention.
    That feature is already there, but it's up to the merchant to look good in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    If you say so, then it's ok for them to be on low funds.
    Yes, it is OK for them to be on low funds. It hurts you in no way what so ever. What is NOT OK is for them to go off line.

Unfortunately, not every affiliate is a psychic to know when things will go so low to be a problem, for instance, if I was a psychic, I will use that knowledge to hit the lottery numbers and get rich overnight, and not to guess if a merchant is going to go off-line, or just bail if they have to many affliates to pay, like It has happened before, just search ABW if you don't remember any of those merchants.
    They can bail and suddenly stop their program whether they have low funds or not. All the merchants are free to discontinue their programs, at will, or whenever their agreement with SAS allows. They do not have to give you advanced notice. This has nothing at all to do with low funds.

If they are online, it is my understanding that you will get paid for all sales that have been made.

SAS DOES NOT EXTEND CREDIT!

The only time that I know of that credit was ever extended, Brian said he would cover the sales. They cannot bail out owing you money with SAS. The ones who have done that in the past were NOT on SAS.

The inability of merchants to cut and run owing you money is one of the things that sets SAS apart. They cannot get free sales from you. No tickee, no washee at SAS.

I believe that one day, someone will quote you on that statement.
    Please, feel free to do so.

Alright now, you mean to say that we should tell those merchants that we're going to send them a burst of traffic and to get ready for us?
    Now I know that you must be joking.

Sal.
    If they are usually on low funds and do not have auto replinish, that would indeed be wise. Otherwise, you will knock them off line and you will lose all those potential sales. I have knocked a merchant off line, myself, from an unusual amount of commissions being suddenly generated so I know it can happen. All those who do not auto replinish are at risk of this happening, at some point, even if they do not normally have low funds. They will get knocked off line any time the commissions exceed the money they have available to pay them. That is how it works.

You are much better served by noting if they go off line repeatedly than you are by going by low funds or not. For you, it may be better if you only use merchants who auto replinish their funds.
    Last edited by SSanf; March 29th, 2006 at 03:03 AM.

ABW Ambassador
    It makes a merchant look bad when they're almost constantly low on funds.

I wanted to add, that if they are on auto replinish and it is not set high enough, let them get knocked off line once and suddenly have their sales all stop, as they will, and they will increase their reserves it fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    It makes a merchant look bad when they're almost constantly low on funds.
    That may be true so I suggest you just don't use them. Of course, everyone else who is using them will still get paid so long as they are actually on line.

What really matters is do they do or do they don't manage to stay on line consistantly.

They cannot bail out owing you money with SAS.
    That's beside the point.

My main concern it's not if they bail out owing me money, because I won't let any merchant go out owing me a lot of money, at the first time that a merchant try to bail out owing me money, I may drop that merchant on the spot if they're owing me over $100,00 and I have reason to believe that they might close shop.

My main concern for me is to waste my time with a merchant by getting that merchant big datafeed on my site, and then a few months later when the searh engines finaly get those pages on the right position, only to find out that I have to drop that merchant because this or that.

Look, I have all the time and the patient to join a merchant today and wait six months or even a year to get my first sale, but I don't have the time nor the patient to join a new merchat today, get my first sale next week and then have to drop that merchant next month because they're owing me over $100,00 and they're on low funds, off-line or whatever BS they're on.

"This is a business, so they must treated like one."

Sal.

So, as I said, you should just use the ones that never have low funds and are on auto-deposit. That should certainly simplify things for you.

It still gives you a lot of merchants to work with.

At least, with SAS you are given the information to make that choice. They don't go around behind your back extending credit and then leave you hanging out to dry like SOME networks.

The LOW FUNDS is there to WARN us in advance of any problems.

The Low Funds is the warning.. the OFFLINE part is the punishment...

It is OK if some of us tend to heed warnings.. and not take chances.

My time is to valuable to waste on a merchant that is consistently on LOW FUNDS..
    That is just one more thing I have to watch.. I like merchants that are 100% in good standing..

Low Funds May Not Be Reason To Panic!
    I am on low funds right now and I am on Auto Deposit. I have never been offline in the two years that I have been with this network...Low Funds does not necessarily mean a problem. The low fund threshold is an arbitrary number that is set by the merchant. For example....If I set my low fund threshold to $500, autodeposit will kick in if the funds get to $499 or less. If my auto deposit is set to replenish funds by $100, I can still be in low fund status if I pay a commission of $101.

At $500

Commission= $101

Autodeposit kicks in $100

Current Funds: $499

For my program $499 would still be a lot of money for the affiliate program to run, but the low fund status would still show up.

My scenario is a little different than the above example because My thereshold is not set as high as $500....but I know my program, and I am on auto-deposit...I have never been offline...

I would worry about the ones not on auto-deposit...Maybe a stats section stating how often a merchant goes offline would put affiliates mind at ease. Then affiliates can decide whether the merchant is worth advertising for.
    That should straighten out some merchants as well.

Cheers,
    Richard Lupu
    ARA Master Watchmaker & Sons
    www.masterwatchmaker.net

Check The Stats Section
    Just read some of the above posts. There is a stats section stating how often a merchant goes offline......That's a stat I would be concerned about as an affiliate.

Cheers,
    Richard Lupu
    www.masterwatchmaker.net

ABW Ambassador
    What do I click to see it?

Every merchant has a "Program Uptime History" on their detail page. You can review this before joining the merchant or investing time in updating their pages.

It would be nice if this could be found in some kind of a search where you could see all your merchants at one time.

I would like it as a downloadable spread sheet type report.

I woud also like "Merchant Status" as a downladable report.

Both of these should include the merchant ID number as well as the name. And, yes! It should include the dates of any occurances and how long they lasted.

The more information we have, the better decisions we can make.
    Sortable spread sheets are the best way to present this information.
    Last edited by SSanf; March 29th, 2006 at 11:37 AM.

hi very intresting topic, our program has had low funds as well.....we are not currently on autodeposit.

But the way i watch shareasale we hit a low of $27 (Not low on funds) i got it topped up.

the last time when we were in low funds was because the responsible person was out of town n i had card details again.

If this happens again i dont mind any of our affiliates talking about it over here.

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    I don't care iof their funds are low, I only care if their funds are out. As long as they aren't out of funds 'alot' why should I care if their funds are low.

"It makes a merchant look bad when they're almost constantly low on funds"

Actually, that makes a merchant look pretty damned good to me; it means their stuff sells.

Im concerned about merchants who are inactive/out of business/cheating/whatever.

It would be nice if Shareasale would suspend and quarantine merchant accounts that do not generate any sales activity for an extended period (90 days perhaps?). These trick merchants are making Shareasale look like a clown operation.

Chocolate Chicken - "Actually, that (BEING ON LOW FUNDS) makes a merchant look pretty damned good to me; it means their stuff sells."

ARE YOU SURE that is what it means... or are they going OFFLINE in two days... then OUT OF BUSINESS in three days...

"Im concerned about merchants who are inactive/out of business/cheating/whatever."

Then your first warning sign is LOW FUNDS.......

I am sure the banks think like that too...
    When a business account is consistently overdrawn...
    That ALWAYS MEANS the business is doing GREAT... RIGHT...

WRONG.. businesses that are doing WELL... keep their bills paid and their accounts in good standing....

I Disagree AddHandler
    Hello AddHandler,

I always pay my bills! Never been offline, but have had low funds status!

I am on auto-deposit, and I monitor affiliate activity quite often.

Because thre threshold is arbitraily set(Hopefully by merchants knowing their affiliate activity)....it doesn't make sense to give up on merchants...A threshold can be set to ten thousand dollars by the merchant..Meaning, once they pay out a commission that causes the amount in the account to go below 10 000, the auto-deposit will kick in. The amount of Auto deposit is also determined by the merchant. So if it kicks in and the amount is still below $10 000 they will be flagged as low status even though the next transaction will trigger yet another autodeposit.

Yet the merchant may have $9999 in their account and still be flagged as low status....That would be a lot more than what I need for my affiliate program...

I still think you should check the stats before you join an affiliate program to see how often they go offline....Once would be enough for me if I were an affiliate to not join....

Cheers,
    Richard Lupu
    www.masterwatchmaker.net

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast