Angry Does Linkshare bother to pay anymore?
    Last September, I had a sale, resulting in a commission of 64.65. It hasn't been reversed or cancelled for any reason, but I still have not been paid. It is well over the payment threshold. I've e-mailed Linkshare 3 times over the past month, but have gotten no response.

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm ever going to see another commssion check from them.

ABW Ambassador
    I've got a very healthy amount coming from November sales (and some December and previous) for a particular merchant, it looks like a lost cause hoping to get paid.

At this point, I'll call the merchant first this week to see what's up at their end, whether or not they say they've remitted to LS.

I got a check yesterday for two transactions from the same merchant, for December and January. You have to wait for LS to get paid first before they can issue you a check.

If you can contact the merchant directly, go for it.

I've received two direct deposits every month for the past year. They're paying regularly. Once the merchant pays.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    Once the merchant pays.
    That is what I think the biggest problem is. In my case the merchant left LS and went with another network, but at least there's a number and an AM who can be reached by phone.

yeah I been getting two DD each month as well. but some of the money goes back a few months as well

ABW Ambassador
    In any business, there should be some kind of "terms of payment." At CJ, if affiliates get paid around the 20th of the month following the month sales are made, then it's safe to say that the merchants must have paid by then, according to some kind of terms.

That involves a schedule and a time element. But LS paying if and when a merchant sends the funds in means that there's payment terms of "whenever" for affiliates and merchants.

I really can't think of any other situation at all, whatsoever, where payments are made in such a random way - try paying "whenever" with the utility companies or car payments - or the landlord and see how long it takes for the sheriff to post an eviction on the door. Or try it with a web host and see what happens, how long a site will stay online. And in the case of LS merchants, it's when their BILLS need to be paid. Something like businesses "doing business."

The way many LS merchants randomly pay what they OWE their affiliates (and LS), is something like accounts receivable accounting where consistently slow payers are considered dead-beats. Why doesn't LS have some kind of payment terms for merchants like all businesses do?

Lightbulb
    Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    That is what I think the biggest problem is. In my case the merchant left LS and went with another network, but at least there's a number and an AM who can be reached by phone.
    I followed one over to another network like that. After that, every time I got a pep-talk email I responded with a note that I'd maybe do it if they ever paid me from the previous network.

It worked.

ABW Ambassador
    Why doesn't LS REQUIRE timely payments like other networks do?.. Everything they do revolves around THEM making money... in the past 9 years I haven't seen any improvements to their site that would help me as an affiliate.

I'm still waiting for December payments too... plus those promised bonus'... I have 3 kids to feed... don't they undertstand that this is our PAYCHECK?... do they have to wait 3 months for their paychecks?...

Judith

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    At CJ, if affiliates get paid around the 20th of the month following the month sales are made, then it's safe to say that the merchants must have paid by then, according to some kind of terms.
    Even at CJ, it isn't quite that clear-cut. Merchants can extend transactions for one month, which makes some merchants "Net 50" and others "Net 20". And if CJ extended credit to the merchant, it can get stretched out even further. I have commissions from September through January for one merchant on CJ that haven't been paid yet. That's rare, but it does happen.

Still, it's better than LinkShare. LinkShare supposedly requires merchants to pay them net 30, then processes a batch around the 8th of the following month, so we're effectively "Net 45" with most LinkShare merchants. The fastest merchants (like Overstock) usually pay quick enough to skip forward a batch, effectively making them "Net 25". But most merchants take more like 45-60 days to pay, which maks them "Net 55" or "Net 75". Some (like Dell) are far slower than that.

Unfortunately, I doubt that will ever change. LinkShare's clients are usually large companies. Large companies are used to negotiating "Net 90" and "Net 120" terms. They despise paying in advance or even "Net 30" (which ends up being "Net 45" for us after LinkShare processes payments). And the people running their affiliate programs are clueless when it comes to the needs/desires of their affiliates.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

That's something I do not understand. How can a merchant wait so long to pay their affiliates? I think it's probably because merchants don't think about what an affiliate really is. My definition:

A partner NOT an employee. Someone with an actual name that doesn't end in .com with a family to feed and bills to pay. Just like me.

My contact information is fully listed and visible. You need to call me, you get a direct connection. You want to email me? It comes straight to my inbox. You want to IM me, I have AIM, Yahoo, MSN and ICQ.

You want answers? You get them asap. That's how partners work together.

Plus, LS charges our partner commission to our Amex. It's there the same day LS generates the invoice.

Is it really that difficult for a merchant to care?
    Last edited by 4allmemory.com; March 29th, 2006 at 11:28 AM.

Michael's comments:

Unfortunately, I doubt that will ever change. LinkShare's clients are usually large companies. Large companies are used to negotiating "Net 90" and "Net 120" terms. They despise paying in advance or even "Net 30" (which ends up being "Net 45" for us after LinkShare processes payments).

I thinks Michael is correct. It's not that the big companies don't pay their affiliates, it is that they pay ALL their bills net 90, or longer.

Here's something to keep in mind about Dell: They have a 30 day return policy. Then they process the returns to Linkshare, and they are reported to the affiliates around the 11 of the month. So, for example, December returns for Dell get to affiliates around Feb 11. Then everything has to be updated, and the total is billed to Dell. There are probably other merchants that work this way as well.

I don't think it's the merchant (I could be wrong), I think it's Linkshare.

When I log on to LS, and check the Merchant Payment History, it only goes until Feb. 2005. LS has not updated it in over a year. But for the few months shown, the merchant in question has sent their payments to linkshare on time every month.

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    Michael,
    Thanks for the comments. We wish everyone would pay Net 30, but that is not always possible.

Vampyre,
    It sounds like you are looking at the old payment report. There is a new Merchant Payment History Report in SynergyAnalytics.
    -- Click on the SynergyAnalytics link in the upper left hand corner of your LinkShare Home page.
    -- Go to the Network Transaction Analysis tab.
    -- Select the Merchant Payment History Report

From this report you can see when LinkShare has received payment from a merchant for a specific invoice period. Received means the merchants payment was received and the funds have cleared. We wait until the funds clear so we can be assured of distributing the funds to you.

Ranae

ABW Ambassador
    "Thanks for the comments. We wish everyone would pay Net 30, but that is not always possible."

Just put in the contract. Late paying merchants reflect badly not just on them but also the network.

Well, the report says "Payment received on October 31, 2005"

So, Linkshare has received the payment from the merchant, so where is my commission?

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    Vampyre,
    I sent you a PM this morning asking for your contact information. Once you respond to my PM, I can find out why you are not receiving your commission check.

You may also want to check out this post http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...15&postcount=2 on reasons why you are not receiving payment.

Ranae

ABW Ambassador
    Don't respond to the PM, make them find your 3 emails and respond like they should.

One more thing in favor of dealing w/indie merchants.
    The ones I use pay quickly. (no 'middleman')

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread