How do you approach a merchant for a higher commission?
    I mainly deal with two programs through CJ. The first one has two excellent account reps that work personally with me to develop creatives and campaigns for their products. The other one has never replied to any of the 3 emails I've sent. The first one also pays a slightly higher commission though I make just about equal sales for each one and I'm in the highest tier for both.

I would like to get #2 up to the same commission level as #1 or at least get off the incentive program and get a flat rate. How do you approach a merchant when you want a better commission? Especially one that has never responded to mail before... do you just come right out and say you want more? Do you make innuendo that you might promote their competitors more if you're not satisfied? Should you write a more innocent email to try and get a response first?

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I did this once with an indie merchant and it turned out very well.

I sent the AM an email that included my stats for that program. I basically said, "Hey, I've made my (self-determined) target for this program. How about you make it worth my while to keep working hard for you?" The AM came back and offered me a better commission scale.

I think it's a mistake to threaten right off the bat. Always assume that the other guy/gal is going to do the right thing. Only when they screw up or get nasty should you present an ultimatum and even then the ultimatum should be presented in such a way that you give yourself and the other party a graceful way to reopen negotiations. That's just my take on it.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    I think it's a mistake to threaten right off the bat. Always assume that the other guy/gal is going to do the right thing. Only when they screw up or get nasty should you present an ultimatum and even then the ultimatum should be presented in such a way that you give yourself and the other party a graceful way to reopen negotiations. That's just my take on it.
    Thanks, good advice and I'm sure you're right. Any hint of threatening and they'll ignore my email and expect me to keep on earning... and I would... it would be an empty threat because their program converts well for me. I don't want to make it a sour relationship, I'd simply like to get a response.

I definitely agree. I wouldn't threaten to promote a competitor right off the bat. Perhaps contact your AM first and let him know you enjoy the results you are seeing promoting their product and you'd like to pump up the promotion even more and would be interested in getting an increased payout so it will be worth your extra effort. If they refuse then, then have another product to reference that you could get mention you will look to promote instead. If they say "Whatever, go promote them then", then that's not the type of merchant/program you want to continue working with anyway. If a AM is unwilling to do what they can to make their top tier affiliates happy, then they don't deserve to have you as an affiliate. I would think that if you do well for them in promotion of their product, then they shouldn't have a problem negotiating a higher payout.
    [B]Jon Lyons[/B]
    Director of Affiliate Operations
    [EMAIL="jon.lyons@fluxads.com"][SIZE=1]jon.lyons@fluxads.com[/SIZE][/EMAIL][SIZE=1] | 1-877-GO-2-FLUX | [URL="http://www.fluxads.com/"]FluxAds.com[/URL][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]LinkedIn: [URL]http://www.linkedin.com/in/jrlyons[/URL][/SIZE]

I guess I'm a bit annoyed that they've never responded to an email before but it may have been my fault-- I was using direct email and not CJ mail. I just fired off a CJ mail to them... I made a $2k sale for them this morning so I figure if they're ever going to notice me, today would be a good day. After considering it further, I don't think they can match the commission level of the other program because of their lower prices.. so all I did was ask to be put at a flat rate instead of performance incentives. Maybe later when I double my sales again, I will ask for a raise

If you don't hear back, call them.
    Amiable chats on the phone can often lead to better things!

Sadly, inattentive merchants are not uncommon. We try to weed them out, but with MaxBounty, you could always contact your network affiliate manager and ask for help. Not sure if CJ offers readily available AMs.
    [font=verdana][b][size=3][color=red]Are you familiar with [URL]MaxBounty.com[/URL] yet?[/color][/b][/size][/font][font=verdana][b][size=1][color=black]
    Over 120 merchants with CPA/CPS programs seeking affiliates
    Over 4500 network publishers seeking programs to advertise
    Earn $100 per merchant and 5% per affiliate on the second tier [/b][/color][/size][/font]

ABW Ambassador
    >>How do you approach a merchant for a higher commission?

Call the AM on the phone and talk it through.
    If you produce, they should go out of their way to make you HAPPY.
    Last edited by Merchant Consultant Team; March 29th, 2006 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHoff
    The other one has never replied to any of the 3 emails I've sent.
    Could be because the chap who looked after that email account is no longer with the merchant. It happened to me before when using the email that's stated in the CJ blurb.

I went to the 'contact us' section of the merchant's site and simply enquired about their AM. Sure enough the reply was fast and came from a different email account than the one listed at CJ.
    [URL=http://www.golfbeginnerguide.com/]Golf Beginner Guide[/URL] ; [URL=http://www.ladygolfersguide.com/]Lady Golfers Guide[/URL]

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread