ABW Ambassador
    Is This Cookie Stuffing? Merchants Can Chime In Too.
    Alright I have a forum, 99% female. There is another major competing forum and they have a section with a long list of favorite etailers/merchants, suggested by members of their forum. Kind of like a constantly updating bookmark list. Most don't have an affiliate program, some do. Recently they have a drop down box/menu with these same merchants so it's easier and they are affiliate links with merchants that have affliate programs. So in the forum they might be talking about a product or merchant, a forum member might jump to the merchants site from the menu by selecting the merchants from the drop down box. Do you consider this cookie stuffing?

15 years and counting
    "Do you consider this cookie stuffing?"
    There's no cookie stuffing if there's a physical click.
    If they are selecting the merchant from the drop down box, there is a click, so it's not cookie stuffing.

Personally if you land on one of my sites.. I class that as a CLICK, so if i choose to use a program that lets my affiliate link embedded in the page.. I will do. but regarding that persons sites i dont know..

if they are on his site and they click on anything its up to them how they conduct business.. just get on with promoting yours

ABW Ambassador
    I don't think it's cookie stuffing either. I was trying to find an old thread that was talking about something like this, can't find it. I had someone suggest I do the same thing with my forum, so it's something I'm looking into.

No, it is not cookie stuffing. It is a simple affiliate link from your site to the merchant site.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    There's no grey area on defining cookie stuffing. If your visitor doesn't PHYSICALLY click one of your links to set a cookie ...IT'S COOKIE STUFFING.... period.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    So it's not then, cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    "Do you consider this cookie stuffing?"
    There's no cookie stuffing if there's a physical click.
    If they are selecting the merchant from the drop down box, there is a click, so it's not cookie stuffing.
    Exactly!
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Do it Trust!!!

That was actually one of my ideas. Actually got the forum software.

But 1. The thought of maintaining a forum 24/7 was not pleasant. I want LESS work, not more.

and 2
    I heard or read that merchants were dropping forum/blog sites - because they can't control the negative things posters might say about them

But DO IT! I'd love to know if it was a good idea or not

ABW Ambassador
    I will. Also had an idea since it looks like over 90% of the merchants will be ones without an affiliate program. Lots of mom and pop type merchants. The forum is part of a site but also stands on it's own. Something along the lines of placement in the drop down menu in the forum in exchange for a 1 way link to my site. Something mutually beneficial. But I'm going to put them in the menu anyway since the forum members want them there. Might try to find some new ones for this. Still thinking about the possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    There's no grey area on defining cookie stuffing. If your visitor doesn't PHYSICALLY click one of your links to set a cookie ...IT'S COOKIE STUFFING.... period.
    So using this logic, merchant supplied search boxes are cookie stuffing too.
    Scott
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls#!t
    Don't tell me that you'll do it... SHOW ME.
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    If the choices were mislabeled or the search box made to do similar whacky things, it'd be bad. I could make a search box that spawns new affiliate-linked windows to multiple merchants regardless of what you searched for... of course, this isn't unique to drop-downs or search boxes, affs can create misleading text links or image / banner links as well.

But other than that obvious trickery type stuff, it ain't cookie stuffing just because it's a drop-down or search box.

It would be cookie stuffing if everytime you visited their forum, they forced every merchant cookie from every merchant they promote onto your PC regardless if clicked on the merchant or not.

Since the user is theoretically expressing an interest in the merchant by selecting them from the drop down, I consider that to be nothing more than an affiliate site doing its job: Generating interest in a merchant via web advertising.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread